Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 1.74 vs Risen

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
G3 might be large in scale but a lot of it is just empty space as I said: Varant and Nordmar being prime examples. You can't really have exploration in a game with randomized loot unless you just explore for the sake of seeing rocks and flowers, thus, hiking simulator.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 3 is just an empty space with some random banal shit boring quests in some places. It's just like unmodded Oblivion. You get hooked for a short while when you see vast lands all around you, but soon after that you get so terribly bored because there is nothing to visit, anywhere to go and all the quests are just a filler (ever more so than in Oblivion!). Fuck, this game is just plainly bad. And Gothic 1/2/notr and risen are one of my favourite games

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CorpseZeb said:
Ps. And yes, Risen is running by the same engine as Gothic 3, but a bit never version (source: forum of WorldofGothic not some lame PCGamer). Also, Risen has a notably smaller world, so it's "stuttering/technical" problems are proportionally smaller.
Your source is mistaken.

http://www.pixelrage.org/articles/Risen ... 325,0.html
Pixel : Are you still using Genome Engine for rendering ? If not, what sort of engine are you using now.
Ralf Marczinczik : It´s a complete self-made-engine. It has no name - but we can call it Frank, if you like. ;-)

http://www.pcigre.com/content/view/12577/78/
8. What engine are you using - Genome Engine from Gothic 3 or have you developed a new one?

We had to start from scratch- so most had to be developed in house. Of course we take advantage of well established middleware like for example the fmod sound system.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yeah, sadly G3 is not finished, thus “emptiness” and “roughness” feeling some of you have. Dunno about you'all but I can admire just a pure potential of game, event if its not realized. And - The Scale (tm) ;)

Roguey said:
Your source is mistaken.

Hm. Guys from CP patch (Gothic 3 and FG) hanging there, so... I'm sorry, but I think, that man doesn't have a clue, he (Ralf ) is an artist after all. Maybe he is taking about “design” of game, like quests or inventory/graphics or such (or editor/developer tools). Risen is running never version of G3 engine – it is not custom engine written “from scratch” - that for sure. “3d engine written from scratch”?! He even knows what it means and how much time and effort requires? Nah...

Ps. (edit)

From forum.worldofplayers.de (by courtesy of google translating from German to English):

It (Risen) looks like Gothic 3, because it relies on the same middleware and the technology has basically little evolved since 2006/2007 in the absence of new-generation consoles.

As far as I know Risen uses such as G3 also: 
- DirectX 9 
- Speedtree for trees 
- EMotionFX for animations 
- PhysX as a physics engine technically new compared to G3 is apparently: - HDR pipeline (…), Improved Shadow Mapping (…), Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (…), Volumetric lighting (…).

Addendum:

Some of mentioned features (like HDR, SSA, VL) finds its way to Gothic 3 via CP's. So Risen is based on Gothic 3 engine plus some graphical effects, plus "I'm consolized ready" feature.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you know what game developers mean when they are saying they are using new engine/it's not the old engine?

Let's look at small problem. Old engine partially sucks and you have some libraries which are perfectly working. So what would you do? Would you write these libraries again to do exactly the same thing, for example image loading, and use the same interface? Would you create new engine with a new data paths and include these libraries inside? Or will you say, aw screw that, and encrypt the old engine and modify all import formats and some scripting to make it look like a new engine?

What he wrote was what people are sayiing when they made completely new program, with slightly, or radically, different architecture that is doing stuff right.

I guess they would be unable to do the same stuff with the program they used as a base for the G3.

You listed middleware. But middleware should be reused even when they are using different program (engine), that's the whole point of using middleware.

(As a side not Speed tree is a crap, and they should be ashamed of not developing something in house, that would represent artistic abilities of theirs team.)

DX9 is retarded and they should be using OpenGL3.0 with ability to fall back on DX9 when drivers would be broken. (It's a matter of one abstract layer.)

CorpseZeb

Learned
I'm perfectly aware of fuzziness terms “new”/”old” in informatique world. But one thing is “fuzzy line” between new and old engine (plus an “engine” it is a vague term itself), other thing is claiming something is “written from scratch”. Bear Fuzzy is OK, uncle From Scratch is just bullshit. I suspected some legal issues, Piranha Bytes doesn’t have right for Gothic 3, so it's “new engine” must be “very new”... indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom