Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 is the best RPG ever

Chuck Norris

Augur
I have played and finished every single classic well known and well received CRPG ( except Torment ) and many other underdogs or cult hits, but none of them gave me the deep and mind blowing experience Gothic 3 did. It just has everything. A true and non-gimmicky freedom of choice in story and character development , a rich beautifully designed world full of secrets which you have to discover yourself without any guide or hand holding, great combat system ( probably the best real time combat system for an RPG ), Outstanding visuals, Extremely beautiful and comforting sound tracks and so on.
I think the absolute freedom Gothic 3 provided and its initial difficulty confused people and they blamed their lack of skill and experience on the bugs. I say it because I played the vanila version of the game and although I agree there were bugs, but none of them stopped me from playing the game, enjoying it and actually finishing it.
So moral of the story: Gothic 3 is everything you can expect from an RPG and far more. If you haven't played it yet, just grab the game from somewhere and play it and don't let the negative opinions cloud your mind. If you have played the game before, but abandoned it because of any reason, give it another chance.

It really pisses me off to see negative opinions on the game every now and then from the people who didn't even spend 10 hours with it.

curry

Arcane
No, vanilla G3 did have game-breaking bugs and serious performance issues. And the combat was horrible. And the world was too big and empty which PB acknowledged and said it was because they ran out of time.

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling though.

Micmu

Magister
:roll:

It's awesome but not as good as Dungeon Lords.
You should really play it. It's right down your alley, methinks

Chuck Norris

Augur
No, vanilla G3 did have game-breaking bugs and serious performance issues. And the combat was horrible. And the world was too big and empty which PB acknowledged and said it was because they ran out of time.

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling though.
I remember many of those game wrecking bugs could be fixed by configuring an ini file ( or whatever it was, I don't remember exactly. ) But I guess people were too dumb to mess with this kind of stuff. As for PB, they didn't have balls to defend their game and were kinda scared by all the backlash it received. So they started to diss their own game to calm the haters. The thing they achieved with Gothic 3 is just unbelievable for a small company like PB, but they got fooled by the haters and started to doubt their own effort.

And calling Gothic 3's world empty is just dumb. Especially with a game like Oblivion released in the same year. There were so many side quests to do, so many enemies to kill and so many useful items secret NPCs to find.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, with the community patch, the game is really really good, albeit with some problems (like the way the loot you find in chests is determined). It still has its share of problems, but most of the main issues of the vanilla version are fixed, and, as Chuck here said, the level of choice you have in the game is quite good and the main quest with liberating the cities works pretty well (even though the actual liberation fights are nothing but clusterfucks), there's rewarding exploration in beautiful landscapes... yes, it's different to the previous Gothics in gameplay and design, but I think it manages to pull off the large world to explore much better than Bethesda's latest efforts (especially Oblivion which came out in the same year as G3).

The one reason it flopped were bugs and mostly broken combat system in the initial version, as well as some unfinished content toward the end and the problem that most NPCs looked exactly the same. You may blame the publisher for that.

Kraszu

Prophet
G3 with CP, and all the changes that they had made is pretty awesome. The fraction system provides meaningful choices in quests without multiplying the complexity for the developer, it could use some tweaks to make REP more important, just few events more that it would trigger would make it great. There could also SA suspicious actions that could trigger some events.

The combat is good now, some of the animations are a bit awkward but the mechanics are solid, most of the time spamming attack will get you killed fast.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
G3 with CP, and all the changes that they had made is pretty awesome. The fraction system provides meaningful choices in quests without multiplying the complexity for the developer, it could use some tweaks to make REP more important, just few events more that it would trigger would make it great. There could also SA suspicious actions that could trigger some events.

The combat is good now, some of the animations are a bit awkward but the mechanics are solid, most of the time spamming attack will get you killed fast.

3640.jpg

Gord

Arcane
CP helps a lot, yes, but it still turned out to be much too grindy to keep my attention long enough for a complete playthrough.
After hundreds of orcs and skeletons in Nordmar I didn't feel much motivation to go on.
Also, while the freedom the player has seems nice, it also makes the story feel strangely arbitrary.

I'd definitely recommend every fan of open-world and sandbox rpgs to check it out, but it's not in my top-ten.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
G3 is pretty good if what you're looking for is a buggy single-player MMO. On the other hand, if you're looking for a good open-world rpg , G1, G2NOTR and Risen are immensely better.

Kraszu

Prophet
G3 is pretty good if what you're looking for is a buggy single-player MMO. On the other hand, if you're looking for a good open-world rpg , G1, G2NOTR and Risen are immensely better.

How is G3 single-player MMO, does MMO have colliding quests? Does MMO put you on a quest to figure out what to do, do they end differently depending on your choices? Can you kill all NPC in them? No only you can kill all NPC in G3, you actually have a good reason to kill many. There is nothing MMO like about G3 other then having a big gameworld, and plenty of quests, some not good but nothing forces you to do all of the quests or to explore every mountain.

Captain Shrek

I have never played G3 and never will. Just doesn't interest me at all.

That is not really a good answer. Same things can be said by DA2 fans. They can clearly claim that Arcanum, Fallout, M&M do not interest them. Personal likes and dislikes do not decide whether a game is good/great or not. Its the actual implementation of game features that decides that.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Personal likes and dislikes do not decide whether a game is good/great or not. Its the actual implementation of game features that decides that.

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."
Tell me more about ascetism, my enlightened friend

Anyway I'm about to blow your mind : it's not features that decide of anything, because features don't make any decisions. Rather it's me, I make the decisions, someone has to because you obviously won't make any. In this case I'll say G3 is an alright game, definitively underrated

Captain Shrek

I don't care about decisions of retards dude. Now kindly fuck off.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.

What're you basing that on? I hear this a lot, but as a matter of fact I just started playing G3 this weekend and can't figure out what people are talking about, 8 hours in. So, what's the rationale? What specifically are you criticising about G3's design?

someone else : It's a matter of design, though, not whining. Gothic 3 is much better designed than people give it credit for, especially in terms of its world. If you throw out good design because tards are tarding, then you get, I don't know, Arcania: Gothic IV, which did away with the open world and all the intersecting quests.

Jaesun : Did you like the first two? I liked G2:NotR but avoided G3 for years, partly because of the negative view of it here. But I think it's a great successor.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun : Did you like the first two? I liked G2:NotR but avoided G3 for years, partly because of the negative view of it here. But I think it's a great successor.

I LOVE the first 2 Gothics <3. So many changes in the 3rd one turned me off it entirely. And I'm just not in the mood to go into specifics. I would rather spend that time on other cRPG's worth defending or discussing.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
:salute:

Fair enough. Hope you do try it one day and find it in that "other cRPGs" category.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:salute:

Fair enough. Hope you do try it one day and find it in that "other cRPGs" category.

To be honest there are TONS of better cRPG's out there I have yet to play (like The Dark Heart of Uukrul which I have yet to play). This is so low on my games to play list, it will never happen.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, at first you were reluctant to play Risen, too, but then you enjoyed it when the Codex finally convinced you to.

Then again, Gothic 3 is quite different from the smaller, detailed-ly handcrafted worlds offered by G1, G2, NotR and Risen. G3 is pretty much PB's attempt at an Elder Scrolls game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
G3 is pretty much PB's attempt at an Elder Scrolls game.

I detest the Elder Scroll series (excluding Daggerfall). There is just nothing redeeming in this tile that interests me. I'd rather spend my time playing FRUA. Which is vastly superior.

Captain Shrek

I think he meant, open world free form games Jaesun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom