Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic is celebrating its 20th today!

Which is your favourite camp?

• Total voters

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you going to replay it?

I am... and I'm already in act 4.

But the question for you: will you replay it too? Comment below. Let me know!

:love:

P.S.: I'm curious which is your favourite camp(s)!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
NC be like "Have fun but watch your back" or "united states of whatever".

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I sided with the weed wizards because I thought at the time that it was cool. I'm waiting for the remake until I replay it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
All playing Gothic 1 does now is make me want to play Gothic 2.
Gothic 2 is a straight imporvement over the first, it's true, but I enjoy replaying it every once in a while while exploring every nook and cranny it has as well.

It is, but the first will always have a special place in my heart. One of the most atmospheric settings I've experienced in video games. And no, not because of weed wizards.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They released new version on Steam with System Pack included and other fixes for smooth run on modern systems.
But original creators (of these fixes) didn't know about release. And second - it removed Potato language from the game. You know... that country where you're either catholic or Sleeper worshipper ie. main game market.
welp

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What about the Gog version?
It is currently -80% off, available for 2 euros

Will consider playing this for the first time finally. Any reccomended mods?

TomParker

Novice

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
20 years ago I had went Novice -> Templar. 10 years ago I went Rogue -> Mercenary. This time I went Shadow -> Fire Mage -> Water Mage -> ... (haven't beaten the game yet).

10 years from now, I'll go Shadow -> Guard. :lol:

It's interesting so far. A lot more backpedalling, until you get some summoning going. The mage feels as it should feel: very weak, until the very end game when it - suddenly - switches to being a powerhouse. Watching things getting ripped apart by my summons while I pelt them from afar as I wish feels very satisfying after running so much.

TomParker

Novice
For me, the most satisfying moment in Gothic was teleporting to the Fire Mages in the Old Camp with Uzriel in hand, then butchering everyone. Since the guards had lowered the gates, no-one could leave, and the NPCs wedged themselves against the gates trying to get away from a heavily armed maniac. This catharsis was such an intense experience after being on the bottom of the totem pole.

SoupNazi

For me, the most satisfying moment in Gothic was teleporting to the Fire Mages in the Old Camp with Uzriel in hand, then butchering everyone. Since the guards had lowered the gates, no-one could leave, and the NPCs wedged themselves against the gates trying to get away from a heavily armed maniac. This catharsis was such an intense experience after being on the bottom of the totem pole.
Oh yeah, I remember doing the same. Also did a similar thing in Gothic 2, wearing that cool dragonhunter armor and wielding that ornate sword which shot purple thunder into enemies you hit or something.

I might in fact replay it

Gastrick

Cipher
Not a RPG, and not a good game.
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! WEED IN VIDEO GAME ME PLAY IT! MESA COOL, MEA BRAG ON THA INTERNEET!
I knew you would say this after you announced that you would try it, I had similar thoughts. I only managed to start enjoying once I pretended it was a 3d Zelda spinoff but with gameplay. Even then there is almost nothing good about the game.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Necro!

Just bought the series now on GOG because it is dirty cheap on sale.

I just started Gothic one, got a rusty sword and was testing it. From nowhere, my dog started barking. No other sound around whatsoever. Then I realized, the sound that the sword makes while swinging it sounds just like a dog barking lol!!!. Every time now I swing the sword, the dog respond with a Woof! Already worth the money.

Cosmic

Literate
Playing the games for the first time. Joining the Old Camp does seem like the best choice. They have the biggest, richest and most elaborate camp, after all. The cultists of the Brotherhood are probably tripping from smoking too much swampweed and the New Camp are thieves with no order or structure. Their quest to help water mages build a bomb is questionable.

Gomez is probably an asshole, but the Old Camp is the only faction in this game that isn't barbaric. Or at least this is how it seems to me, in Chapter 1.

This is the game that forces you into a male gender, right?

Fuck off - it's 2021.

A little weird for an RPG to not let you choose gender/appearance, but it's forgivable, in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom