Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

Intrigued007

Educated
I noticed James Proctor removed some videos from his YouTube. The Ferguson video, in particular. Good move, I suppose. Also removed (some) footage of Greed Monger and/or Rise of Heroes. They both look rather ... Identical. Are you using assets from Greed Monger to make Rise of Heroes, James?

Intrigued007

Educated
JamesP recently claimed to be starting a weekly Google Hangout in which members of the community could ask questions. However, no information was posted about how to join the conversation, it was posted only three hours before planned "start time", and no news was ever updated on the main website, only through FaceBook.

This is seeming more and more like a scam.

Maybe JamesP used Jason Appleton's money to acquire game engines to work on and develop Rise of Heroes? It definitely doesn't seem to have been used towards Greed Monger.

It's also been weeks since Joel allegedly acquired the mysterious T-Shirts and began "sending them out", and according to JamesP, they've also mysteriously had all the shipping labels removed. Mind boggling.

Intrigued007

Educated
This has been the best thing I've watched in a long time. I really wish I would've backed and gotten a t-shirt ... It'd be worth the $75 at this point.

Andnjord

Arcane
1406818868856_wps_1_Penguin_jpg.jpg

Paging our reporter DarKPenguiN !

Ninjerk

Arcane
Following this video so far, Joel has said, "We personally don't have control over [the Kickstarter] funds."

EDIT: At least not more than 25,000.

LOL Who is the butthurt guy an hour in. He starts calling Joel and James fat and ugly :laugh:

Last edited:

GM_JamesPro

Savant
We do not have control over ANY of the KickStarter money... We have been able to go back through our expenses for Licenses, Assets, Server hosting, Amount paid out to different people for work they did, ect. and account for roughly $21,000 so far.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
What I want to know is who PFO was- That guy was fucking hilarious. It was someone from over at mmorpg.com who joined in the hangout at the last min but I have no idea who it was and he was obviously a regular there and knew alot about GM. That dude very much entertained me. He needs his own show.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-I feel need to make a correction in information that is the mmorpg.com - I would post there but I deleted my account last week or thereabouts because I'm seriously tired of the crazy moderation that makes no sense and posting over there has become a waste of time for me since probably 1/3rd of what I say is edited anyhow and I'm just totally done dealing with mods there- Sad because that used to be a really good site and I really like alot of the people over there but enough is really enough.

1st off, I am NOT a real journalist , reporter or anything of the type and I dont pretend to be outside of tongue in cheek references... I'm a gamer and have been my whole life and the reason I became involved here was because of Appleton threatening a friend and generally being a douche to people I like. I had no real altruistic motive at all. Simply put I couldnt believe the very people and real journalists who promoted this game and gave Jason Appleton a platform to take money from our community pretended like it never happened to the point of mmorpg.com censoring discussion to the point of worthlessness. It was okay to help promote this disaster to their readers but god forbid they ever do a fucking followup after it was obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than 60 that things were not going right in never-neverland. Of all the people, websites and places that ALLOWED this to happen-Not one decided to follow things up in three years. The real websites and journalists were enabling this behavior and actually helping jason Appleton to not ever have to answer for anything.

Secondly- If I were a real journalist I would honestly have removed myself from this entire thing. From an ethical standpoint alone. Over the course of time I have developed a friendship with James and him and I have become gaming buddies . At some point on this thread I even said something to the effect of "I will not go after you guys in any way, shape or form"...And I wont. I'm not a backer and whats going on now is the backers concern and not mine. I was asked to come to the hangout about an hour before it happened because I was the one who started this off with this thread and because I do have access to their development discussion which I read every few days and I do know without question that these guys are busting ass to try and get things done along with spending their own money. I do know that they are trying very hard- Will that matter in the end? No. I dont think it will. I think there is no salvaging this thing and ive never said otherwise. I think them taking this on was a huge mistake that essentially handed Appleton a parachute at the last moment and had very little chance to change anything in the longrun except for these guys busting their ass, spending their money and ultimately wasting their time... But thats all too late- They made a decision and for better or worse they are stuck with it.

So...yeah. The position I am in is that I'm not going to be critical of these guys when I know how hard they are trying. The outcome really doesnt concern me.granted I would love to see them succeed, the backers get their game and World Peace to break out tomorrow . I did everything I could a month ago or whenever all this started and I think this thread has shed lots of light onto Kickstarter and how easy it is to sell dreams with no chance in hell of producing whats promised. OVER $100,000 went down into a black hole and some folks who spent thousands upon thousands of dollars are probably feeling really stupid right now. My beef isnt with the guys who are really trying to salvage this (even if I think they have less than a snowballs chance in hell) and I am not objective at this point- havnt been in a very long time-I am bias as fuck and I make no bones about it. it is what it is.

EJoe

Educated
Question for Greed Monger developer...

Any reason why you guys didn't use Havok engine?

[1/8/2013 7:46:22 PM] James Proctor: I saw a old Press release from Turbine stateing that they have Licensed the Vision Engine from Havok... Vision is an AWESOME looking engine... Completely state of the art DirectX 11 Graphics, The physics Engine is the best around, Animation System is top notch... Fully Destructable Environments. ect...

EJoe

Educated
The other MMO uses kbEngine - http://kbengine.org/.

Why didn't you guys use that?
It has Unity integration.

I would stay clear of other MMOs that Appleton is referring to, since they misrepresent themselves, the art quality is so bad they failed their second kick starter.

EJoe

Educated
thousands of dollars are probably feeling really stupid right now. My beef isnt with the guys who are really trying to salvage this (even if I think they have less than a snowballs chance in hell) and I am not objective at this point- havnt been in a very long time-I am bias as fuck and I make no bones about it. it is what it is.

I looked at that Google Hangout...

What exactly have you guys accomplished?

Initial questions:
- Is there a full membership system?
- Can the guys register on a website and then login in-game?
- Is there a website to add/edit/delete login info in first place?

Database questions:
- Is login information linked to website?
- Can they change password on site?

In-game questions:
- How much memory does 1 terrain session consume?
- Is there AoI (Area of Interest)?
- Is there BT? Behaviour trees for NPCs?
- Are enemies, players and NPCs streamed in and out of game as persons moves along?

EJoe

Educated
Is there a character lobby screen?

- How many characters does it load?
- Does it load/save all weapons, gold and important info?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
thousands of dollars are probably feeling really stupid right now. My beef isnt with the guys who are really trying to salvage this (even if I think they have less than a snowballs chance in hell) and I am not objective at this point- havnt been in a very long time-I am bias as fuck and I make no bones about it. it is what it is.

I looked at that Google Hangout...

What exactly have you guys accomplished?

Initial questions:
- Is there a full membership system?
- Can the guys register on a website and then login in-game?
- Is there a website to add/edit/delete login info in first place?

Database questions:
- Is login information linked to website?
- Can they change password on site?

In-game questions:
- How much memory does 1 terrain session consume?
- Is there AoI (Area of Interest)?
- Is there BT? Behaviour trees for NPCs?
- Are enemies, players and NPCs streamed in and out of game as persons moves along?
The answer to all your questions is... 42

Thane Solus

Arcane
hey guys lets get together and make some awesome MMO? Have any of you launched a game so far, or worked in industry at least, you know to have some experience with the production flow and what not? No? Fuck it lets do a MMO just to be sure we fail the project and then act surprised on the internetz. We can also scam some manboons since the "gaming press" are incapable of spotting a vaporware, or a good game for that matter.

You would be surprised how common are these stories/events, without the scam part.

Great thread, will fap again.

EJoe

Educated
Good luck with Greed Monger. :smug:
By all means continue, but you might want to bunch your questions into one post. Edit button's eh p.cool.

Edit button seems to be disabled.

plesase stop
The answer to all your questions is... 42
We are shitposting to legit technical questions why?

I have a feeling that Greed Monger in it's current state, isn't there yet.

Let's talk non-game basics. Simple membership website with login, logout, forgot password and membership list.

Either I don't see it, or it's not done. The KS backers are eager to get into the stress test.

What's the login and password for each KS backer? How can they change password after that?
Can they see list of previous IP addresses they logged in, since then, like how GMail shows it?

This shouldn't take a junior PHP developer 3 years to make., no? If GM changes to Hero, Atavism,
uLink or whatever networking or engine change (Unreal, Havok) it is independent of game-engine and
MMO-engine implementation, back-end PHP code would not change much to accommodate engine changes.

It's easy to communicate with PHP and RIAK (uLink), PHP and MySQL (Atavism and others) to authenticate login.
What's so hard to add an extra MySQL column?

I could go to MySQL Workbench, create a table, add extra columns. Surely Atavism would ignore it so long you don't change
or modify the required columns for Atavism select, insert and delete SQL.

Let me go to the artwork. For the $100,000, the only decent artwork I could see is other project - Billy's Bolts and
initial artwork paid to website designer http://www.rwebsys.com/portfolio/.

I do not consider the rest as artwork, since all were paid assets and rest are amateur artists. For $50 an hour,
you could hire very good artists and I suppose all the money went to scam-artists and the prices I heard,
3 years back, Greed Monger were low-balling and threatening to sue the artists, who were involved.

Fast forward today... character selection screen (58:12 on Google Hangout) looks like someone just added a
Unity UMA2 model into their project and stock uLink or Atavism assets pressed run button.

No background - blue screen, vanilla logic, which, for a game 3 years old, it should not be in so plain.

I've seen your posts at
http://community.markeedragon.com/threads/how-about-that-greed-monger-news.1868/

We already have the game running on our own hardware though there's been slight change of plans with that. As part of our down sizing the Game we are taking the approach that games like Life is Feudal took. We are releasing our Server software and allowing players to host their own servers. We have a lobby system running where players will be able to select what server they want to play on. We are however taking it a step further then that. The server software is 100% moddable. Server admins will be able to take the modding as far as they want to. From adding new Textures/Icons to creating entire worlds with custom mobs and custom Avatars. We are basically giving you guys the tools we will be using to create GM and letting you guys run wild with them. Once the tools are all created and ready we will then take them and scale them up to develop our rebranded version of GM into a full scale MMO with all the features promised during our KS Campaign well also continuing to support the smaller scale version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom