Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's needed somewhere else in the game, just hold onto it.

Don't worry, whenever I play a RPG, I turn into a hoarder and save anything looking remotely useful.
Well, limited inventory space makes me sell consumables and items apparently intended to be sold, otherwise, I wouldn't.

Two more questions, i found what where the perk key (useful) and the locksmith key (useless) were for but not the common gate key.
Hence, my question, useless garbage?

Also, apparently, you can drop items somewhere and they don't disappear.
Does that work anywhere?
Can I drop some keys and consumables on the Crowl's Inn
floor and expect the bugs to leave it alone?

Dorateen

Arcane
Two more questions, i found what where the perk key (useful) and the locksmith key (useless) were for but not the common gate key.

I don't recall ever using the gate keys, so they can probably be discarded.

Yes, find a nice safe tile like in the Inn, and feel free to drop a stash of items there and you can come back later to pick them up if needed.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
It's needed somewhere else in the game, just hold onto it.

Don't worry, whenever I play a RPG, I turn into a hoarder and save anything looking remotely useful.
Well, limited inventory space makes me sell consumables and items apparently intended to be sold, otherwise, I wouldn't.

Also, apparently, you can drop items somewhere and they don't disappear.
Does that work anywhere?
They should stay where you drop them. I dropped tens of items in a specific area mid-game and they were still there after I finished the game. Also tried dropping items on random tiles and they also stayed there.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Does that work anywhere?
I had a lot of items stashed in Kublai Axis and all of them remained, sans a missing Lachesis tablet. Dunno was it nicked by the NPC or was it a bug.

Lazarus

Novice
How do you get the Treasury Key from the Khan Raji?
You have to free the princess in Skulheim I think. Ask the Khan about her.
Awesome — thanks for the reply. And I’m asking for my brother. He’s done this, but the Khan didn’t give him the key. So, the breakdown:

- he rang the bell (no troops came), rescued Dahlia, did not recruit her, went to tell the Khan, got xp and gold, but no Treasury Key.
- he rang the bell, rescued Dahlia, recruited her, brought her back to the Khan, got xp and gold, but no Treasury Key, and she did not leave his party.
- my brother was wondering if he has to dismiss Dahlia right in front of the Khan before he talks to him?
- also, he does not have the Jeweled Scepter, so he cleared the Skulheim cobwebs with some potion (that’s how he freed Dahlia).
Any thoughts?
(Edit: and he doesn’t want to have to kill the Khan if he can avoid it, and doesn’t have enough thieving skill to realistically steal the key from the Khan.)

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I played this a while back so I might be wrong. I think you have to dismiss Dahlia, then she will talk to you if you walk around the palace.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Does that work anywhere?
I had a lot of items stashed in Kublai Axis and all of them remained, sans a missing Lachesis tablet. Dunno was it nicked by the NPC or was it a bug.
Again, been a while but I think anything but a tablet will be where you dropped it. A tablet will be snatched by the next NPC in that checkpoint.

Lazarus

Novice
Thanks all for the suggestions. None of them worked, and my brother, out of options, resorted to killing Khan Raji to get the Treasury Key. This game is all kinds of screwed up.

Lazarus

Novice
How do you get the Moon Crystal?
What is it for or where did you hear about it?
My brother is at this point in the game, and I’m asking for him. He says you need the Moon Crystal to activate the teleporting monoliths. But, when he says the magic word(s) to the Green Mandarin, the Mandarin doesn’t have the Moon Crystal and just tells him that you need it. If you try to steal from him or kill him, he still doesn’t have the Moon Crystal, so he’s stuck.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
My brother is at this point in the game, and I’m asking for him. He says you need the Moon Crystal to activate the teleporting monoliths. But, when he says the magic word(s) to the Green Mandarin, the Mandarin doesn’t have the Moon Crystal and just tells him that you need it. If you try to steal from him or kill him, he still doesn’t have the Moon Crystal, so he’s stuck.
You need to ask the Mandarin about "music".

https://grimoirewiki.neocities.org/index.php/Puzzles#How_to_use_the_Moongates_.28Black_Megaliths.29

I don't know why it wouldn't work, it did for everyone else. Unless it is some bug introduced in V3. In this case, ask Cleve on Steam or here about it.

Lazarus

Novice
You need to ask the Mandarin about "music".

https://grimoirewiki.neocities.org/index.php/Puzzles#How_to_use_the_Moongates_.28Black_Megaliths.29

I don't know why it wouldn't work, it did for everyone else. Unless it is some bug introduced in V3. In this case, ask Cleve on Steam or here about it.
Okay, great. Thanks very much for the help!

Lazarus

Novice
On the same question, has anyone encountered a situation where the Mandarin does not give you the Moongate Crystal when you say "music" or "tabernacle" to him. My brother still can't get the Crystal from him. When he says "music" or "tabernacle," the Mandarin gives him a story about how you need the Crystal to use the Moongates, but that's it -- he doesn't give the Crystal to him. Any ideas?

Dorateen

Arcane
Is it possible he did receive the crystal but it dropped on the ground? It is easy to get your party inventory filled up, in which case an overflow of items would likely result in being placed on a tile. I wonder if the Locate Item spell would help in such a case.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Never saw that bug, never reported, never repeated. If it has never been seen in 20 years then maybe it's not a bug because it doesn't exist. Try talking about music or some of the other subjects that are hinted at. There are numerous hints as to how to get the Moon Crystal throughout that area and the game, so persist a bit because nobody has ever reported the Mandarin simply doesn't have it. Never heard that.

As Dorateen noted, it is possible it could be dropped on the tile the Mandarin sits upon. This is a very serious bug so by all means report it. I never had an account of this. Obviously the Moon Crystal is a highlight of the game that enables you to begin jumping around rapidly to places.

Dorateen

Arcane
The only thing I would add, I had done the assignment for Lt. Shrike first, returning the roc egg. He then told us to "go after the Green Mandrain", and get the moongate crystal. Our party then went to the Parlor afterward and met the Mandarin, had no trouble getting the crystal. Not sure if that sequence is important (being told by Shrike first to get the crystal).

Lazarus

Novice
Thanks very much to all for the suggestions. I will pass them on (and get my brother to start an RPGCodex account, so I don't have to play Grimoire secretary ;) ). Good to know about the fact that that supposed bug has never been reported. That's helpful -- thanks, Cleve. It's entirely possible that he's gotten it and dropped it somewhere. He did that with the Bane of Hobknob (knowing that he had gotten it and dropped it somewhere), and had to use Locate Item to find it. The suggestions about maybe it's on the tile where the Green Mandarin is and about Shrike are good ones. Somehow, one of those must work. Thanks again, all!

Alex1976

Barely Literate
I am planning to start grimoire and I have some questions about multiclassing.
1. Will it be better to spend additional attributes during new character creation or save them for future multiclassing?
2. There are some good combinations of class/race with the maximum bonus e.g. Sage/AEORB. Is it better to take such class during character or at the end of multiclassing?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
1. The beginning can be challenging, so I would use them there. Not even sure if attribute points can be saved from character creation for later.
2. Those bonuses apply only at character creation, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom