Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grimoire is 99 cents on GOG

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Obviously I'm doing my research before comitting to a game. And I'm glad I did in this case.
Nobody cares if you pay $1 for a game or not. You're acting like you're buying a car or something.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Dungeon Master can be played on PC today using the Return to Chaos clone
On his website he says:

Whilst I make no claim to the idea, graphics or sounds, the program itself was entirely written by myself; mostly as a work avoidance tactic in my final couple of months at university. I started writing RTC to learn as I went along the basics of game programming and as such it is the first and only game I have ever written; please be tolerant with any bugs you find!

Why not play Dungeon Master on DOSBox instead?

https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=10&letter=D

Vic

Savant
Obviously I'm doing my research before comitting to a game. And I'm glad I did in this case.
Nobody cares if you pay $1 for a game or not. You're acting like you're buying a car or something.
Your backlog must be huge bro. Try this: one game at a time, until completion, and don't buy games just because they're on sale, that is monke brain thinking.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Your backlog must be huge bro. Try this: one game at a time, until completion, and don't buy games just because they're on sale, that is monke brain thinking.
do you also no-fap and take cold showers and attend tridentine mass and watch exclusively catboy animes

Vic

Savant
Hmm, can actually anyone buy this on GOG via PayPal? I've tried it for about the 20th time now in a row, and it always fails to complete the transaction on the GOG side... brings me to a 404 page in the end...
Paypal user protection at work here to save you butthurt and braindamage from playing this steaming pile of dogshit.

Hammerite

Novice
DID THEY DELETED THE GAME from GOG?
I was trying to open Grimoire page on gog to see the reviews & comments and the site is not opening for me.
It still shows up on the search bar but I can't access the game page proper. Maybe you can buy it by adding it to your cart.

Edit: I can't access any of the game pages, though the GOG website has been spazzing out since yesterday, so...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
* 600 hours of play possible in a single game

How overhyped is this statement?

I'm currently playing through Legend of Grimrock 2, and it's the first dungeon crawler I ever played. This is the first time I'm actually excited to explore and discover what else is in the game. I haven't felt like that since I played my first Elder Scrolls game. I tried recommended games from the codex like fallout and PST but they are snoozefests compared to LoG2. Now I'm thinking I may have found my favorite type of RPG, and looking to play more dungeon crawlers after finishing LoG2, currently at around ~40%.

I was thinking of playing eye of the beholder next, but after reading the outrageous sales page of Grimoire, I'm wondering how much of it is true. Should I go for this over eye of the beholder?
Do yourself a favour and try both. They're very different.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
NWN EE is excellent, my attitude toward that game completely changed after revisiting it in this version.

I was young when it was first released, I would have been 16 or 17 at the time and I'd been so excited for it when announced because of my passion for each of the Infinity Engine games. When it was revealed to have been made without the pre-rendered backgrounds and isometric view but rather 3D polygonal models in a similar environment with rotatable camera perspective and would be using the 3rd edition ruleset, I was heartbroken. When it was revealed to be essentially a toolkit with a focus on multiplayer and custom modules I lost almost all interest. It wasn't a game I purchased back then, though I did try it at a friends house and everything except for the character portraits and the UI (though inferior to Baldur's Gate to me) felt grotesque. I later bought a copy of the Diamond Edition in a bargain bin and don't think I'd ever installed it, though my wife played both it and the sequel at some point around 2008 or so.

Encountering a dearth of appealing CRPGs around 2019 and having been familiar with Beamdog through the enhanced editions of the Infinity Engine games, I figured I'd finally retry it and try to look past the ugly presentation and multiplayer elements. And as it turns out, so much time had elapsed that I actually found the graphics endearing. The character portraits are some of the best in any CRPG and although the environments are sort of dull I found all of it pleasing to interact with, unlike the revulsion it elicited from me twenty years ago. Then I tried the custom modules which Beamdog hosted from within the games download client and my opinion went from mild enthusiasm to full-blown love with the remake modules of both Against the Cult of the Reptile God and the first two Eye of the Beholder games. I felt such regret that I was so ignorant back in my youth for having not given the game a proper chance; granted, at release there weren't any serious user modules yet and the base-game campaign is weak by comparison to what would eventually be released, though today I like it for what it is. Playing Against the Cult of the Reptile God however had me feeling almost as if I were playing Temple of Elemental Evil. I have a copy of that adventure at home and seeing the few video games that actually manage to bring source material to visual life, like the first Baldur's Gate using Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, for instance or the aforementioned Temple of Elemental Evil by Troika really appeals to me in a way no other games do.

Grimoire being on sale for one dollar ought to be without question bought, the depth and quality of what I've experienced myself so far and have read about online in that game is to where such a price is obscene. I'm glad I bought my copies at the full price because games like it come along so very rarely that I would feel awful to have paid such an insignificant sum at firsthand. A game like Grimoire should be supported to the fullest extent possible in my opinion, to show that there are still people interested in them. And the other games mentioned earlier in this thread like Eye of the Beholder series, Lands of Lore (the first game), Wizardry, Might & Magic, Dungeon Master and the rest are all worth playing. Lands of Lore is probably the easiest and most simple of the games in this genre that I've played but make no mistake this doesn't mean it is anything less than a masterpiece.

Cleve your game is shit and the only value it has is watching you sperg out at people over it. And since I pay nothing for that, why would I spend actual real money, even a tiny amount, for a vastly inferior experience?

Also neanderthals were a genetic dead end, you're just a weirdo with a huge and obvious inferiority complex.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
HUkfIhG.jpg

Life is good

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
don't think it was worth it
What made you think that?
Focuses on quantity over quality. Extremely tedious gameplay, terribly unintuitive UI, sprites cheaply intermingle each other (especially enemies), unbalanced encounters (random trash mobs mixed with overleveled enemies) and a lot of technical issues.

Don't forget the ATROCIOUS sound design.

:prosper:
Hearing the bandits' MEMORABLE chant is what made me decide to play it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dungeon Master can be played on PC today using the Return to Chaos clone, found in the link in my signature.

Have you noticed any difference between the PC and Amiga versions?
I should have been clearer: Return to Chaos is a clone of the Amiga version but for PC with Windows. At the start-up screen, the option for "Dungeon Master (Original Version)" should be identical to the Amiga version (as close as possible without the source code), and there's also an option for "Dungeon Master (Return to Chaos Version)" that alters a few things so that, for example, the rust monsters actually have their rusting ability. :M

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Considering that you're going to hear HIDDIDLY DIDDY DOE about 99,000 times during your playthrough of Grimoire, that means each one of those is only going to cost you about .00001 cents each!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom