Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I paid 33 bucks for this game and I can't even play it coz it doesn't gel with my monitor resolution :smug:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Cleve should have charged $60 for Grimoire and left that price unaltered, without any discounts, in perpetuity. :rpgcodex:

I only wish I'd gotten the box he promised (Indigogo or Kickstarter, already forgot) with map and manual and all that. That said I was happy the game got published in the end and turned out as good as it was.

Snaphaan

Novice
When I play a game like Wizardry and such, the visual features function as inspiration for a internal imagery that accompanies the narrative sequences, in a manner similar to that of text in a novel.
Exactly, you nailed it.

It's called abstraction over simulation. I prefer that approach as well.

Most modern games use the opposite approach, simulation over abstraction. Voice acting, cutscenes, etc.
I've just finished BG1E and decided to work through the Goldbox series. I've always drooled over their ads in Compute magazine but only played Curse of the Azure bonds.

Now the nostalgia is hitting me hard but...

Have to agree with some of the posts here. These old school graphics and gameplay really have a unique way of immersion. They make easier for you to make the dreams of someone else your own. If that makes sense.

Now it seems I have another game to look forward to and from the last couple of dozens of pages of this thread I am excited as hell.

BTW: How many people actually worked on this game? I cannot find a list of credits although the manual mentions it.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
BTW: How many people actually worked on this game? I cannot find a list of credits although the manual mentions it.
I think Cleve paid some graphics artists and a musician and I think one person helped setting up the game engine too. So something like 4-5 people, with 80-90% of the work done by Cleve himself.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There is a credit roll when you finish the game. IIRC it's a few artists + a composer + Cleve.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I still can't believe the game has been out almost 7 years and it still sells well during these sales. I think the GOG sold 500+ copies the last .99 cent sale.

Biggest problems with .99 cents is that autists jump into Grimoire without realizing what kind of game it is and they jump out and ask for a refund, crying and sobbing, then they give it a bad review. Mascara tears streaming down their cheeks babbling about how their party got killed in first few minutes.

THAT. IS. GRIMOIRE!

300-kick.gif

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've finally solved the thing of not being able to switch to Windows (web browser, consulting manual for classes' requirements at the level ups, etc.).
Windows key + TAB, create Desktop 2. There I can do whatever I want.
I don't know if you guys knew, I just had a moment of insight after a year or two and it worked.

Kliwer

Savant
I’m going to try Grimoire again. Last time I had to stop due to lack of time. And now it’s too hard to come back to the old save (I have lost my notes somewhere so it’s even harder). I was not very far into adventure anyway.

I obviously lost a lot of time on planning my party. And again – I wish to consult this band of adventurers with You. I’m trying to keep a compromise between what is mechanically good and what I like to have due to larping reasons.

I do not like multi-classing very much so I limit myself to one class change per character (with one exception). I hope it will be good enough. I will probably assign all bonus points to attributes – last time I spent some of them on skills and it was not very beneficial. Or maybe it will be good to give some characters a bit more HP?

I’m going to change class at level 8 (for all characters). Maybe 9 in case of some fast-leveling classes (Thief, Metalsmith). Most class conversions should be possible with only mediocre rolls on level ups.

So, please – check this builds and comment. Arte there any obvious traps or something?

I row - tanks
Fundin Ironcutter
Race: Barrower, male
Class: Metalsmith->Berserker
Combat skills: Shield, Swordsmanship, Berserking (after promotion), Lethal Blow
Magic skills: Invocation
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming, Metallurgy
Comment: I like to have a typical dwarven smith in my party so here he is. I will give him invocation skill to use some magical items. From some unknown reasons he never receive any bonus points during character creation… oh well…

Margath the Untamed
Race: Giant, male
Class: Warrior->Berserker
Combat skills: Shield, Axe&Scimitar, Berserking (after promotion), Lethal Blow (after promotion)
Magic skills: none
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming
Comment: Another frontliner, nothing more. I’m wondering if it would be better to give him a HP bonus from starting bonus points?

II row – nimble fighters
Feanor Longstride
Race: Drow, male
Class: Ranger->Assassin
Combat skills: Archery, Accuracy, Swordsmanship, Lethal Blow
Magic skills: Alchemistry (luckily both Ranger and Assassin could benefit from this)
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming, Scout, Mephistics
Comment: More versatile fighter. Can use swords and bows, can cast some spells, can cover weapon with poison.

Gugo the Greedy
Race: Rhattu, male
Class: Thief->Pirate
Combat skills: Backstabbing, Lethal Blow (after promotion), Spear&Lance (is it ok to backstab with spears?)
Magic skills: none
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming, Inspection, Lockpicking, Robbery, Stealth
Comments: party’s pocket knife + backstabber to add some damage.

III row – supporters
Maya Gleaming Lute
Race: Feyfolk, female
Class: Bard (no dual-classing, I’m going to exchange her for jester NPC in later part of game – I have read that it’s possible)
Combat skills: Bladesmanship
Magic skills: Music, Incantation, Sorcery
Other Skills: Climbing, Swimming, Evasion, Barter, Scribe
Comments: As I said – I plan to exchange her for jester NPC. Or maybe not if she turns out to be good enough. Some music, some magic + bartering skills. I do not know if Evasion skills is useful but I wish to include every skill into my party.

Hubertus the Saint
Race: Durendil (mostly to make Templar promotion easier), male
Class: Cleric->Templar
Combat skills: Shield, Hammer&Mace
Magic skills: Litany
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming, Diplomacy, Scribe
Comments: I do not know how equipment restrictions will influence this character, but it should be ok (he is mostly a caster). He will also be my main party speaker.

IV row – casters
Pallador of the Hill
Race: Barrower, male
Class: Thaumaturge->Necromancer
Combat skills: Bladesmanship
Magic skills: Alchemistry (at least – after class change – this skill will be still useful as a crafting skill), Necromancy (after promotion)
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming, Nature Lore, Scribe
Comments: Main spell caster and nuker with some crafting skills in addition.

Shelazar the Wise
Race: Aeorb, male
Class: Sage->Wizard
Combat skills: Staff&Rod
Magic skills: Sorcery (luckily it is the casting skill for both: Sage and Wizard)
Other skills: Climbing, Swimming, Ancient History, Assaying, Mythology, Scribe
Comments: Utility mage, later also a nuker. He has all “lore” skills. Is it better to give him HP or attributes from a bonus pool?

Bonus question: how the crafting actually works? Which skills are in use? For example: sharpening weapons is connected more with Metallurgy or with Bladesmanship? In my party one character has Mephistics skill and other Nature Lore – but maybe it will be better to have both on one hero?

Dorateen

Arcane
That's a good party with two barrowers in it. A barrower Thaumaturge might seem unconventional, but the race does have one of the fastest mana regeneration rates, so that should help.

Aeorb sage is a classic fit, just be mindful that Aeorbs cannot be raised from the dead.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Keep in mind that Durendil have few armors and such that they can equip and that Aeorbs are very squishy (easy to kill). But if you don't like them later on, you can always switch them to one of the recruitable NPCs.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have lost my notes somewhere so it’s even harder
How many games do you guys find this notetaking necessary? I tried it in exactly one game(u5 Lazarus) and turns out I remembered the stuff anyway.

Modron

Arcane
The last game I took notes on? The first avernum I guess, I used a standard A4 as a quest journal and to keep track of who wanted specific items like iron and IIRC grain. Vogel didn't add a quest journal until avernum 2.

notpl

Arbiter
The metallurgy skill does something now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom