Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Don Peste

Arcane
I did it, you made me do it. Not a single fucking 'No'. Hopefully I'll start playing before they shutdown the servers!
Thanks guys!

PS: I guess I'll try a hot Necromancix + somekind of Mage... Or something like that!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I did it, you made me do it. Not a single fucking 'No'. Hopefully I'll start playing before they shutdown the servers!
They won't shut down the servers before Guild Wars 2 dies too. They've said it costs them basically nothing to keep them going.

El Presidente

Arcane
This will forever be the best online game ever made and no one will make a worthwhile spiritual successor, right :negative:

tbh even if someone would make a spiritual successor, it would be really hard to beat Tyria as a setting, that's a really special, soulful and atmospheric world, they even did Africa really right with Elona which you just know nowadays would just be some shitty wakanda derp, and blacks = le based while whites = le bad and so on. I miss those days when you'd go to these other exotic continents and there was no obvious purple haired they/them dev right behind my computer screen microing le cultural sensibilities and representations of this foreign culture, Cantha for instance was all kinds of fucked up far beyond the jade wind.

This music man.
447px-Manlytears3_copy.png

I really, really wish I could start fresh on GW1 for the first time again, just erase all my memories of it. Last time I checked IIRC my /age said I had 14k hours across all characters. There's nothing for me there anymore, just the feels.

Naraya

Arcane
This will forever be the best online game ever made and no one will make a worthwhile spiritual successor, right :negative:

tbh even if someone would make a spiritual successor, it would be really hard to beat Tyria as a setting, that's a really special, soulful and atmospheric world, they even did Africa really right with Elona which you just know nowadays would just be some shitty wakanda derp, and blacks = le based while whites = le bad and so on. I miss those days when you'd go to these other exotic continents and there was no obvious purple haired they/them dev right behind my computer screen microing le cultural sensibilities and representations of this foreign culture, Cantha for instance was all kinds of fucked up far beyond the jade wind.

This music man.
447px-Manlytears3_copy.png

I really, really wish I could start fresh on GW1 for the first time again, just erase all my memories of it. Last time I checked IIRC my /age said I had 14k hours across all characters. There's nothing for me there anymore, just the feels.

100% agree with everything you said, Bill.

Side note - I HIGHLY recommend the DirectSong pack, it is glorious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/8tgtou/directsong_revival_pack/

I used to hate the design of Kaineng back when I was in my late teens, thought it was impossible to navigate. To be fair, maybe it is for people who have never done it before, but armed with the knowledge that anytime you see another path to the quest marker that looks like a shortcut, it almost never is, you'll rarely go astray. Also, that Kaineng City theme is so damn comfy, easily my favorite track in Factions aside from the Kurzick theme.

P.S. Turtles are temporal, Forever Trees are forever. Gott mit Haus zu Heltzer!

El Presidente

Arcane
Daily reminder this rotten industry backstabbed Jeremy Soule because some random whore accused him of rape with no proof in a pathetic blog post full of schizo-SJWism and then some singer came to her help to say he's indeed a pervert. This was all it took to completely destroy his career. His music gave SO much soul (no pun intended) to GW1, it's also by far and large the thing I enjoyed the most about Skyrim.

Well, never again, hope you guys enjoy Inon Zur goyslop.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm sure this game can be revived if ArenaNet weren't so stubborn about it. They killed it off prematurely on top of everything. They'd have to go about it gracefully, though, in order to avoid the same pitfalls as the first time, but there's an audience. Hell, even slap on an optional premium sub to keep the juice flowing, I'd pay for that considering this is my favorite MMO ever.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That wouldn't surprise me, but I have no first-hand experience with them since GW2 came out. I'm amazed it keeps going and has a positive (?) reputation.

I used to hate the design of Kaineng back when I was in my late teens, thought it was impossible to navigate. To be fair, maybe it is for people who have never done it before, but armed with the knowledge that anytime you see another path to the quest marker that looks like a shortcut, it almost never is, you'll rarely go astray. Also, that Kaineng City theme is so damn comfy, easily my favorite track in Factions aside from the Kurzick theme.

P.S. Turtles are temporal, Forever Trees are forever. Gott mit Haus zu Heltzer!

Kaineng is definitely an acquired taste. Once you've learned all the quests, encounters, and a good path it feels very rewarding to power level off those quests, while the average player gets ganked by assassins or the afflicted exploding. I can see why it led to thousands of people saying "game is shit why can't I jump" though, leading to GW2.

I'm sure this game can be revived if ArenaNet weren't so stubborn about it. They killed it off prematurely on top of everything. They'd have to go about it gracefully, though, in order to avoid the same pitfalls as the first time, but there's an audience. Hell, even slap on an optional premium sub to keep the juice flowing, I'd pay for that considering this is my favorite MMO ever.
I'm sure it *could*. The game has a good amount of microtransactions already, I assume they are making money if they are keeping it going. But they don't have the people with the will to do so.

They did do some minor additions for the 10th and 15th anniversary events though. I feel like making minor additions/updates/balancing a yearly thing is something within their capabilities and would probably bring in enough microtransaction revenue from old players to justify it. Unfortunately I guess we'll be waiting in hope that the 20th anniversary has something.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
If I was given sufficient funding I could help make a GW1-clone.
But honestly what we really need is more games like GW1, as opposed to a clone for no reason.

I have experience as an RPG developer and obviously played this game myself.

Maybe we could hire Jeremy for the music. ANet can't be trusted not to cuck and pozz and over pay2winnify GW1 remake.
You do want a new developer. And like it or not that means a new story and the rest of it as to not be infringing.

Not to say I'd want nuAnet touching GW these days (ugh) but I don't think it's even up to them, probably NCSoft's call.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron

Not to say I'd want nuAnet touching GW these days (ugh) but I don't think it's even up to them, probably NCSoft's call.
By expanding GW1 story they'd have to remember how to handle issues in GW2, and the other way around. This might be the real reason they don't want to start adding new things.
However if they looked at it as an opportunity to prototype new story by starting in GW1 with idea then it could work. However how to make old events transfer over to GW2 in the future and be relevant?
This requires extra framework of some sort.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've never played GW1 but I played GW2 and it was pretty shit. Heard it was way different, what's the reason they changed it so much?
WOW sold better. So they make WOW 2 electric boogaloo
It's a bit more complicated than that. They changed it because GW1 was unsustainable the way they were doing things. That's why they killed it in the first place. They needed something with easy scalability that will promote heavy microtransactions due to the lack of monthly sub. GW1 has incredibly tight and intelligent design, surprisingly so, there wasn't anything extraneous that can fuel a microtransaction craze, so they added mounts, crafting, consumables, extravagant cosmetics, I-don't-even-know-what to GW2 and so it ended up bloated and has gotten even worse over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if WoW didn't influence them all that much, it really isn't very similar to it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's a bit more complicated than that. They changed it because GW1 was unsustainable the way they were doing things. That's why they killed it in the first place.

Do you have any evidence for this? Namely, unsustainability.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I've never played GW1 but I played GW2 and it was pretty shit. Heard it was way different, what's the reason they changed it so much?
WOW sold better. So they make WOW 2 electric boogaloo
It's a bit more complicated than that. They changed it because GW1 was unsustainable the way they were doing things. That's why they killed it in the first place. They needed something with easy scalability that will promote heavy microtransactions due to the lack of monthly sub. GW1 has incredibly tight and intelligent design, surprisingly so, there wasn't anything extraneous that can fuel a microtransaction craze, so they added mounts, crafting, consumables, extravagant cosmetics, I-don't-even-know-what to GW2 and so it ended up bloated and has gotten even worse over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if WoW didn't influence them all that much, it really isn't very similar to it.

It's a bit more complicated than that. They changed it because GW1 was unsustainable the way they were doing things. That's why they killed it in the first place.

Do you have any evidence for this? Namely, unsustainability.
Guild wars 1 was designed as part of the episodic gaming. Almost none of the games managed to release yearly updates as intended and the only one that I know if that achieved it was.. GW1. They released 3 expansions and finished their story which is more than Sonic or Half-life did. Episodic gaming turned out to be a mistake but GW1 never became unsustainable considering it's still active today

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom