Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guns in Hexen

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Will I ever get one?

That is all.

(I'm a cleric.)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Look for Serpent Staff in the Guardian of Steel.

Phelot

Arcane
Drog Black Tooth said:
There are only shooting staves a la Oblivion.

See Drog? You didn't need to create an alt for that!

:love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Ok, not including graphics.
Why not? Art design in Hexen was miles better than Oblivion. Hexen had a dark gothic look to it instead of being a candy-colored Disneyland. Oh, and engine was better optimized too :smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I thought about being a mage but then I saw how much slower it was compared to the others.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
hexen01.jpg

Who needs guns when you have a beefy arm like this?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dicksmoker said:
I thought about being a mage but then I saw how much slower it was compared to the others.
Mage is probably my favorite. Cleric is more fun but way too easy thanks to poison flechette and Wraithverge being ridiculously powerful (and awesome). Fighter's too straightforward and consists mainly of hitting things on the head (though Quietus is pretty cool). Slowness isn't a factor if you have Always Run on (and why wouldn't you?).

Heresiarch

Prophet
DraQ said:
Drog Black Tooth said:
There are only shooting staves a la Oblivion.
If only oblivious had something akin to Wraithverge that alone would make it halfway decent.

Heh, now you've said it, I've never thought that why with all the awesome graphics for FPS today, they just can't make some truly awesome weapon/spell like Wraithverge? Or Arc of Death. Or Quietus. All we have now are staves which fire peas in fire or electrified peas, and the closest effect like Wraithverge you can do in Oblivion is to summon a bunch of ghosts which are slow and weak and generally useless to attack your enemies.

Personally I don't like playing as the cleric in Hexen. His weapons and skills just feel not oriented on anything. First you have a mace which is weaksauce compared to the fighter's POWAH FISTO, then you get a staff which is probably the least memorable weapon in the whole game (I know it can drain life, but I always consider it more as a double barreled pea shooter), then you get a cool spell but have lackluster damage (it's the only one tier 3 weapon which can't one hit kill an ettin consistently!), and finally you've got a super awesome final weapon.

But's not just with Hexen, I dislike playing ANY clerics, especially hybrid warrior and spellcaster types like Hexen and D&D ones.

BTW, anyone thinks that the spell casting gestures of Hexen and Hexen II's necromancer awesome? Since the first day I've seen Hexen on a magazine and then playing it later on, I've always practiced to do the Firestorm and Ice Shard gestures IRL, lol.

Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Ok, not including graphics.
Why not? Art design in Hexen was miles better than Oblivion. Hexen had a dark gothic look to it instead of being a candy-colored Disneyland. Oh, and engine was better optimized too :smug:
I am agree Raven masters of Art design :M
I am love :pete: :love: javascript:emoticon(':love:')

DraQ

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
and the closest effect like Wraithverge you can do in Oblivion is to summon a bunch of ghosts which are slow and weak and generally useless to attack your enemies.
Can't do, chief. Only one summon at the time.

then you get a cool spell but have lackluster damage (it's the only one tier 3 weapon which can't one hit kill an ettin consistently)
It's much better against groups.

BTW, anyone thinks that the spell casting gestures of Hexen and Hexen II's necromancer awesome? Since the first day I've seen Hexen on a magazine and then playing it later on, I've always practiced to do the Firestorm and Ice Shard gestures IRL, lol.

Arc of Death idle animation is just divine. Also, I've always loved how Necro flips pages in his spellbook without actually touching them.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
In the second hub. I'm liking the hub level design and having to back and forth, but I've run out of blue ammo right now and am back to using my mace. Pretty boring. Why couldn't they have done the hub layout and just ported over all of Heretic's weapons (and enemies too for that matter)?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Eh. You spent all blue mana on shit like ettins and now unsatisfied? Oh boy...
Serpent staff should not be normally used on ettins. You have mace for ettins or single centaur and poison gas for centaur groups and slaughtaurs.
BTW, you may find Firestorm in the Shadow Wood. Look for the temple.

DraQ

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
In the second hub. I'm liking the hub level design and having to back and forth, but I've run out of blue ammo right now and am back to using my mace. Pretty boring. Why couldn't they have done the hub layout and just ported over all of Heretic's weapons (and enemies too for that matter)?
Because Heretic weapons were mostly BSB Doom weapon rip-offs that mostly felt out of place in a fantasy game and Heretic itself a somewhat lukewarm Doom TC.
The only good thing about Heretic weapons was ToP which was awesome.
They reintroduced it in Hexen II.

Dicksmoker said:
I was hoping that once I got a gun we could get past this mace silliness.
Lol.

You have 4 weapons per character (quite diverse weapons). You don't get past anything.

It's not this kind of game. Characters are obviously inspired by D&D and D&D cleric is the kind of guy who dons mail or plate and goes bashing heads in between spells. Weapons don't get obsolete when you find a new one and they are rather specialized - you have to learn their uses and switch a lot.

If you wanted to stay out of melee at all costs you should have picked the mage. Cleric is still mostly ranged, but he needs to bash heads in as often as he can get away with it to conserve mana. Fighter is mostly melee/CQB, with his third weapon being the only one that is actually well suited for fighting from a distance.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
I was hoping that once I got a gun we could get past this mace silliness.
Never, never play Witchaven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom