Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, I need tech help.

desocupado

Magister
I bought recently a new card, a 9800 gt. So, everything was running fine, until I installed Mass Effect 2. Then, Soulstorm and Icewind Dale 2 started running crappily. I imagined it was some mess Mass Effect 2 did on its instalation, and formated the PC (It was needing it for a long time anyway).

But it did not solve the issue. I unistalled Mass Effect 2 even before formatting, because it's a shitty game, but even now after I formated everything, Soulstomr still runs poorly, and so does Icewind Dale 2.

They both stutter when I scroll the window and there's models on screen for Soulstorm or spell effects on screen for IWD2.

I installed the most recent directx, and it did not help. I tought about installing other version of the drivers, but the games were working with this version of the drivers, I did not change it, so...

I'm at a loss here. Maybe my card is damaged?

Hegel

Arcane
desocupado said:
I bought recently a new card, a 9800 gt. So, everything was running fine, until I installed Mass Effect 2. Then, Soulstorm and Icewind Dale 2 started running crappily. I imagined it was some mess Mass Effect 2 did on its instalation, and formated the PC (It was needing it for a long time anyway).

But it did not solve the issue. I unistalled Mass Effect 2 even before formatting, because it's a shitty game, but even now after I formated everything, Soulstomr still runs poorly, and so does Icewind Dale 2.

They both stutter when I scroll the window and there's models on screen for Soulstorm or spell effects on screen for IWD2.

I installed the most recent directx, and it did not help. I tought about installing other version of the drivers, but the games were working with this version of the drivers, I did not change it, so...

Disable IWD2 3d acceleration. You tried rolling back to earlier drivers?

desocupado

Magister
Hegel said:
desocupado said:

For some reason IWD2 does not have 3d acceleration.

I did not try rolling back the drivers, because the games (Soulstorm was, for sure)were working with the current drivers.

I remember one game I had issues, that I fixed by installing the directx that came with the game. Aparently, some later revision introduced the bug. I tried this, but I don't know if the old directx was installed or the installer checked if the current files were more recent, and skipped the instalation.

Shit, I could run IWD2 on the motherfucking onboard card.

Hegel

Arcane
desocupado said:
Hegel said:
desocupado said:

I did not try that, because the games (Soulstorm was, for sure)were working with the current drivers.

I remember one game I had issues, that I fixed by installing the directx that came with the game. Aparently, some later revision introduced the bug. I tried this, but I don't know if the old directx was installed or the installer checked if the current files were more recent, and skipped the instalation.
Shut up and do what I said, disable 3d acceleration in the IWD2 config :x

Had the same trouble with BGII and Win7, stuttering and stuff, solved by disabling 3d Acceleration in BGconfig.

desocupado

Magister
There's no 3d acceleration in IWD2 config. The game was meant to have it, but it was not added for some reason.

Hegel

Arcane
desocupado said:
There's no 3d acceleration in IWD2 config. The game was meant to have it, but it was not added for some reason.
See if you can disable it under Dxdiag or your graphic card troubleshooting label. IMHO rerolling to older drivers seems to be the best option.

desocupado

Magister
I can disable it under dxdiag, and IWD2 runs better. Soulstorm doesn't even start, tough.

Hegel

Arcane
desocupado said:
I can disable it under dxdiag, and IWD2 runs better. Soulstorm doesn't even run, tough.
Try disabling it from your card troubleshooting option, adjust the slider down until it runs well enough.

desocupado

Magister
IWD2 runs fine with everything disabled.

But I want to try to roll the drivers, see if Soulstorm works as it should. What version of the drivers do you suggest?

desocupado

Magister
So, I tried installing the new divinity, and it has the same problem as Soulstorm.

It gets choppy as you move your character (and thus, the screen).

It isn't a performance problem, I could run Soulstorm very well here. I don't know what to do. I'm going to try to install different drivers, but any help would be appreciated.

desocupado

Magister
The performance is not only affected in gameplay, the game videos also stutter.

Hell, even seeing the tits thread in gd causes the browser to stutter a bit.

desocupado

Magister
Well, fuck me sideways. Opening the PC, and pulling and pushing the card back on the slot seems to have worked.

Wonderful.

Fuck this pc gaming master race bullshit, my next gaming investiment is going to be a console. It's a lot less headache to mantain.

EDIT: It seems to have been fixed. I couldn't run Divinity 2 because I unistalled Physix in an attempt to fix the issue, but Soulstorm and Deathspank (kinda shitty game) are running fine now.

I always tought that either your shit was in place, or it would not work at all. It seems you can fuck yourself over with a half afixed videocard.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Fresh sea breeze has got between contacts. Next time try to press it tightly on the first time, and properly apply screws.

relootz

Scholar
desocupado said:
Well, fuck me sideways. Opening the PC, and pulling and pushing the card back on the slot seems to have worked.

Wonderful.

Fuck this pc gaming master race bullshit, my next gaming investiment is going to be a console. It's a lot less headache to mantain.

EDIT: It seems to have been fixed. I couldn't run Divinity 2 because I unistalled Physix in an attempt to fix the issue, but Soulstorm and Deathspank (kinda shitty game) are running fine now.

I always tought that either your shit was in place, or it would not work at all. It seems you can fuck yourself over with a half afixed videocard.

Yes this is quite true, maybe your card was throttling down due to overheating? If it isn't plugged in properly, then it just doesn't start.

desocupado

Magister
relootz said:
desocupado said:

Wonderful.

Yes this is quite true, maybe your card was throttling down due to overheating? If it isn't plugged in properly, then it just doesn't start.

I checked, it presented the problem at 55 celsius. So I don't think it was that.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Glad to see you fixed everything. I also thought that either something is connected well or not at all, so this never occurred to me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
desocupado said:
I bought recently a new card, a 9800 gt. So, everything was running fine, until I installed Mass Effect 2.

Would've served you well if it was the cause of an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom