Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hades - roguelike action dungeon crawler from Supergiant Games

polo

Magister
You can beat it 3 or 4 times before it really gets "boring" repetitive, so yeah well worth it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I made like 60+ runs and beat it at the highest heat that still rewards new content.

Game is okay.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I briefly played the Remove-from-Inventory version, and it immediately clicked with me. Don't know why this went under my radar. I'll buy this next week on the Steam sale.
It's pretty fun though it gets a bit repetitive after enough runs, like most roguelikes/roguelites

Yes, but is it still worth it in the long run?
Yes. It´s a good package, Good music, art design and visuals. Responsive and fun gameplay, weapons and powers feel good to use.

The run variety is limited, but well done. I don´t like meta-progression in general but here is not terribly grindy.

The runs length is right.

So I think for the time you start to get bored you probably have beat it or close to it. Expect to to enjoy it for 25-40h.

quixotic

Learned
If, for whatever reason, you want to buy it on the Switch, don’t. It runs great, but all of the audio is horrifically compressed.

Andronovo

Learned
I'm about 8 hours in, and I only have just now made it to the Minotaur. Uh... do I suck? I can't seem to make it through the hydra fight and that fucking boat bullshit that you often get in asphodel without taking tons of damage.

I'm not really asking for advice here, I want to figure it out on my own, I just want to know how I match up to the average.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'm about 8 hours in, and I only have just now made it to the Minotaur. Uh... do I suck? I can't seem to make it through the hydra fight and that fucking boat bullshit that you often get in asphodel without taking tons of damage.

I'm not really asking for advice here, I want to figure it out on my own, I just want to know how I match up to the average.
Minotaur & Perseus is the one fight that you will learn to cheese, it was an instant death to me the first few times. Athena gear helps to cope with random bullshit before you learn the patterns.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Nah, if you're fighting on reaction, you're doing fine. Avoiding everything and making the game look easy is something you can do when you learn tricks for everything so you don't need to react. Or at least, so you know what you're reacting to.

It's the difference between hitting a button as soon as you hear a noise, and needing to hit the correct button as soon as you see a colour or something. Reactions with decisions involved take longer, and that gap is where the damage happens.

Also, how in the unholy fuck is this in the RPG forum? :decline:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Numbers go up

Andronovo

Learned

Minotaur & Perseus is the one fight that you will learn to cheese, it was an instant death to me the first few times. Athena gear helps to cope with random bullshit before you learn the patterns.
Okay, that makes me feel better, I actually got him down to half health my first time. I feel like a lot of it is just upping my raw damage output by spamming upgrades on one of my attacks, so that I'll be able to whittle him down. Biggest complaint so far, the bosses have WAY too much health.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Okay, that makes me feel better, I actually got him down to half health my first time. I feel like a lot of it is just upping my raw damage output by spamming upgrades on one of my attacks, so that I'll be able to whittle him down. Biggest complaint so far, the bosses have WAY too much health.
It's not a bug, it's a feature ;) Effective builds in Hades are those with high dmg output, like Ares or Artemis oriented stuff

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In current year, the Codex considers any game to be an RPG if it identifies as one. The Steam page for Hades lists it as "Genre: Action, Indie, RPG" for the developer-assigned description, which is also the case for their three earlier games, of which, according to the developer Supergiant Games, Pyre is "a party-based RPG", Transistor is "a sci-fi-themed action RPG", and Bastion is a "narrative-rich action RPG". :M

Fun-fact though: Hades was deemed ineligible for Codex’s GRPGOTY poll because Felipepe decided it was not an RPG (not saying he’s wrong, but yes, it does then beg the question of why this thread is still in GRPG).

Mauman

Learned
Fun-fact though: Hades was deemed ineligible for Codex’s GRPGOTY poll because Felipepe decided it was not an RPG (not saying he’s wrong, but yes, it does then beg the question of why this thread is still in GRPG).
Well, Disco Elysium is still allowed in here....

so....yeah.

Well, Disco Elysium is still allowed in here....

so....yeah.
Uh, except Disco Elysium was deemed allowable for the RPGOTY poll, and, again, Hades wasn't.

I haven't played DE, but my understanding is that's even more of a CYOA than PS:T, a game that I think there is a tenuously narrow, albeit good-faith, argument to make that it is not an RPG.

Hades, on the other hand, is a pretty direct descendant of Diablo 1&2 when it comes to gameplay, and both of those are games that I would emphatically say are not RPGs, but that many reasonable people insist are a sub-genre of RPGs.

Which is all to say that, while I don't really have a horse in this race, especially in these edge cases "what is an RPG?" can really only be answered by slightly arbitrary and personalized definitions.

Andronovo

Learned
Welp, I fucked up. I put two of my titan blood into a shield upgrade, and it's fucking garbage. Way to slow to be useful. I still haven't beaten Theseus and Co., so without spoiling things for me, will ever get any more titan blood than the original six?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Welp, I fucked up. I put two of my titan blood into a shield upgrade, and it's fucking garbage. Way to slow to be useful. I still haven't beaten Theseus and Co., so without spoiling things for me, will ever get any more titan blood than the original six?
dunno man personally I find shield to be a really good weapon
titan's blood is tradeable though at a fucked up rate

quixotic

Learned
You’ll get more Titan Blood eventually.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Shield is objectively and mathematically the best weapon. They already did the math and figured out that shield + zeus boons are needed to clear max heat.

I suck at these bullet hell things and even I thoroughly trashed Hades like a gen 1 pokemon game after I figured this out.

Andronovo

Learned

Shield is objectively and mathematically the best weapon. They already did the math and figured out that shield + zeus boons are needed to clear max heat.

I suck at these bullet hell things and even I thoroughly trashed Hades like a gen 1 pokemon game after I figured this out.

Bro, can you stop making me feel like a total retard, thanks.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The shield is just ridiculously OP but I stopped using it because runs would get too long with. I guess I didn't try enough to learn how to use it quickly but all other guns I have sub 15min runs on, except the shield which is 20+.

It's probably the weapon that takes the longest to get used to imo

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The shield is just ridiculously OP but I stopped using it because runs would get too long with. I guess I didn't try enough to learn how to use it quickly but all other guns I have sub 15min runs on, except the shield which is 20+.

It's probably the weapon that takes the longest to get used to imo

It's been a while since I played, but two zeus boons are absolutely vital: a lighting bolt that hits enemies when you dash and one that hits enemies while you use your shield throw. Also try to maximize the amount of times your shield bounces. Spam dashes and specials.

If you upgrade all these to max, you become the bullet hell boss and everything dies basically almost instantly. It's a little bit harder on higher heat, but i've never gone more than 32 (or 38? don't remember) because after that it becomes really RNG and you're basically fucked if you don't get the right stuff early on.

Andronovo

Learned
The most overpowered build I ever got was rocket bomb with triple shot with the rail. Completely broken. Didn't know what I was doing at the time so I wasted it, but yeah, it was OP.

I'm at Hades now with the shield with a lot of Demeter stuff and the bull rush shot. Got pretty close to killing him last time, wish me luck. If I fuck up, I'll just try and get the triple rocket again, see how that works out.

agris

Arcane
Patron
why is this in grpg? this is classical “general gaming” fodder

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom