Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West 2 - sequel from Ice Code Games

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Playing the game,it is not bad,but sadly it have totally retarded combat system. One of those where i think about that female dev that wanted a skip combat button.The whole combat system is all about getting multiple people killed in a single turn,but sadly the enemy hp bloat outpaces your ability to dash damage,thus ending with 2-3 people having to attack a single target so they could kill it,on top of that you get enemy that heal fully at the end of the turn. It wouldn't have been such a problem if the missions weren't timed lol. Go kill all the zombies in 7 turns with this shitty weapons...throws 50 self regenerating zombies buahahaha lol.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Playing the game,it is not bad,but sadly it have totally retarded combat system. One of those where i think about that female dev that wanted a skip combat button.The whole combat system is all about getting multiple people killed in a single turn,but sadly the enemy hp bloat outpaces your ability to dash damage,thus ending with 2-3 people having to attack a single target so they could kill it,on top of that you get enemy that heal fully at the end of the turn. It wouldn't have been such a problem if the missions weren't timed lol. Go kill all the zombies in 7 turns with this shitty weapons...throws 50 self regenerating zombies buahahaha lol.
Damn man, this game is super easy. Go play Candy Crush instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/126666-hard-west-ii-released-reviews.html

IGN 7/10:

Hard West 2 is one of those times where I can pick out little things I didn't like all day, but whatever cracks exist in its game design or storytelling are plastered over by its impressive environments, world, and characters. For every shotgun blast I couldn't take or strategically narrow mission I had to restart there was at least one time I cackled madly while Cla'lish chained together headshots or Laughing Deer whooped madly while bashing in head after head after head.
GameSpot 8/10:

Much like that final mission enemy, Hard West 2 gets it right where it counts. Despite some thin RPG trappings, it's ultimately a highly-accomplished game of tactical combat with two or three genuinely terrific ideas executed exceptionally well. While it does suffer from a lack of imagination in some of its map design, that doesn't detract too much from how enjoyable it is to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with your posse and find creative ways to put down hordes of Wild West demons.
WCCFTech 7.7/10:

With its interesting setting that combines the Old West with supernatural and occult elements and solid tactical turn-based combat with excellent pacing, Hard West 2 is a worthy purchase for fans of the genre. However, balancing issues, limited character customization, which force players to play in specific ways, and a general streamlining of the tactical combat experience make the game more shallow than expected, inevitably turning off some veterans of the genre.
Eurogamer Scoreless:

I love tactics games, I think, because of all genres, these are the games you really live in. You move so fast through a platformer or an FPS, but with a tactics game I can spend a half hour spinning the screen, clicking on enemies, trying to get a bit more out of a move I haven't even made yet. I lean back and I lean forward, taking in the whole vista one moment, and then pondering the potential of a single unit, a single skill, the next. All of that and ghostly cowboys? All of that and Bravado? All of that and that third action point to make sense of? Yes please. Absolutely.
NME 4/5:

Hard West 2 is a compelling turn-based tactics offering with a memorable style of combat. While the central story and the characters underpinning it may feel a little sketched out, the world and the little details within it are compelling. A rooting, tooting good time.
GodisaGeek 8.5/10:

Everything feels authentic in Hard West 2. From believable characters to the gritty, high-detail art style that seethes with atmosphere, to the top-notch sound design, as a complete package it stands out even among some of the best in the genre. The chance to hit is a pain, and the odds are certainly stacked against you, but for many players that’s a good thing. It’s not the most original game, but it’s a compelling and continuously surprising experience nonetheless.

Falksi

Arcane
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/126666-hard-west-ii-released-reviews.html

IGN 7/10:

Hard West 2 is one of those times where I can pick out little things I didn't like all day, but whatever cracks exist in its game design or storytelling are plastered over by its impressive environments, world, and characters. For every shotgun blast I couldn't take or strategically narrow mission I had to restart there was at least one time I cackled madly while Cla'lish chained together headshots or Laughing Deer whooped madly while bashing in head after head after head.
GameSpot 8/10:

Much like that final mission enemy, Hard West 2 gets it right where it counts. Despite some thin RPG trappings, it's ultimately a highly-accomplished game of tactical combat with two or three genuinely terrific ideas executed exceptionally well. While it does suffer from a lack of imagination in some of its map design, that doesn't detract too much from how enjoyable it is to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with your posse and find creative ways to put down hordes of Wild West demons.
WCCFTech 7.7/10:

With its interesting setting that combines the Old West with supernatural and occult elements and solid tactical turn-based combat with excellent pacing, Hard West 2 is a worthy purchase for fans of the genre. However, balancing issues, limited character customization, which force players to play in specific ways, and a general streamlining of the tactical combat experience make the game more shallow than expected, inevitably turning off some veterans of the genre.
Eurogamer Scoreless:

I love tactics games, I think, because of all genres, these are the games you really live in. You move so fast through a platformer or an FPS, but with a tactics game I can spend a half hour spinning the screen, clicking on enemies, trying to get a bit more out of a move I haven't even made yet. I lean back and I lean forward, taking in the whole vista one moment, and then pondering the potential of a single unit, a single skill, the next. All of that and ghostly cowboys? All of that and Bravado? All of that and that third action point to make sense of? Yes please. Absolutely.
NME 4/5:

Hard West 2 is a compelling turn-based tactics offering with a memorable style of combat. While the central story and the characters underpinning it may feel a little sketched out, the world and the little details within it are compelling. A rooting, tooting good time.
GodisaGeek 8.5/10:

Everything feels authentic in Hard West 2. From believable characters to the gritty, high-detail art style that seethes with atmosphere, to the top-notch sound design, as a complete package it stands out even among some of the best in the genre. The chance to hit is a pain, and the odds are certainly stacked against you, but for many players that’s a good thing. It’s not the most original game, but it’s a compelling and continuously surprising experience nonetheless.

I tend to find that most of my favourite games score between a 6 and an 8 with these bunch of useless cunts, including thg original Hard West...

IGN
Hard West isn’t the deepest game of its kind, but it does a good job of walking the line between cold, hard tactics, and Weird West-style personality. Its mystically-inspired abilities add a fun twist to the X-Com formula, even if they do remove some of the need for tactical forsight. A richer world outside of combat would have been nice, but as is, Hard West still presents a fun, unique take on turn-based tactics - 7.3

All we're seeing here are the wet twats not able to grasp the game or the genre properly, and I bet none of them have played it through on harder settings (as we all know is when you get the real experience).

Reading these review are fucking hilarious. Clueless flakes showing themselves up to be just that (some of the IGN complaints for Hard West 2 are hilariously bad).

Looking forward to playing it even more now that these losers haven't fallen in love with it. They need to fuck off back to their 10/10 Breath of The Wild's and Last of Us 2's to give their brain a rest from playing proper games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Damn man, this game is super easy. Go play Candy Crush instead.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Who said anything about being hard,you sad loser??? Go play some muh dark souls before you hang yourself. Fucking retarded fanboyz.

Humbaba

Arcane
So is this just XCOM: Cowboy Edition or is the core system significantly different somehow? And how come modern games don't copy the JA2 system as much as they do nu-COM's? Too elaborate for today's mainstream audience?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is this just XCOM: Cowboy Edition or is the core system significantly different somehow? And how come modern games don't copy the JA2 system as much as they do nu-COM's? Too elaborate for today's mainstream audience?
Modern day audience cannot into having AP left over.

Falksi

Arcane

The original is significantly different. Luck plays a huge part in your strategy, and the skill system is fantastically unique. You have to employ a very different mindset from other tactical games to progress, and the whole vibe is cool AF.

Personally I'd have Hard West right alongside Shadowrun Dragonfall as one of the best games to come out in the past 8 years.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1282410/view/3398547789764920299
Post-launch updates and a huge THANK YOU!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are truly overwhelmed by your positive reception and support of Hard West 2!

Thank you for all the support, feedback, reviews and most importantly the trust that you’ve shown us as a team. We're blown away to have managed to reach the #1 Global Best Selling Game spot on Steam and also to have the #1 most watched stream yesterday. None of this would have been possible without the support of every one of you, so we just wanted to take the time to properly thank you!

We are thrilled to hear you’re enjoying the game and the experience that it offers. Of course, this is just the start though, as we’re committed to continuing to improve the game and making it a better experience for everyone. We aim to do this by addressing all of the feedback that we receive on Steam, social and Discord which highlight issues that detract people from enjoying their time with Hard West 2. We believe that the best way to do this is to be transparent and clearly communicate with players on how we’re planning to improve the game moving forward. So consider this the first step on this journey and us opening up the direct dialogue with all of you.

We hear you loud-and-clear on the need to lower the overall loading times. The upcoming Patch Number 1 should address issues on PCs using 8GB or less RAM and mitigate issues in longer sessions. It’s scheduled to be released later this month and we already have the list of critical issues that it will certainly address. We want to take the time to communicate how this patch will improve the game, so we created the image below which outlines the patch highlights:

7744dea3c29f3197f323605f647ec79fb4277bd4.jpg

This is of course just the highlights though and we want to hear from you what else we can do to improve the game. So tell us what other fixes and improvements you would like to see in the near future for Hard West 2? Let us know in the comments or Steam discussions HERE!

So far we have only talked about the upcoming patch and game issues, but we know that some of you are experiencing problems which exist beyond just the game. Here are the main two that we wanted to call out

• Deadman’s Gun Delay: We know that most of you want the Deadman's Gun and we can’t wait to get this in your hands. Unfortunately, we’re still waiting for Steam to deliver the keys for this item so that we can start distributing it, but we’re in constant communication with them. So we can guarantee that it’s coming, but it just took a bit more time to arrange than we would have liked. But rest assured that it will be with you shortly and thanks so much for your patience! Sign up HERE.[forms.gle]

• Demo Save Issues: We have already posted this in the forum, but we wanted to go out of our way to communicate this again. Please DO NOT play from your Demo save. We don't recommend using the old saves at the moment, even if the game recognizes them. We have some users reporting that it might cause problems later on and have reported that the game goes back to the beginning in some cases. This is true for all demos as games update upon launch and we’re limited to how we can address this. So to ensure that you enjoy the best experience with the game, do not use your demo saves.
Once again, all of this is just the beginning though, so please don’t hesitate to tell us what you would like to see improved and where you would like to see the future of Hard West 2 to go. We want to make sure you’re happy with the game and it becomes one of your favorites.

Thanks again for your support and let’s talk!

Harthwain

Magister
By Modern day I mean the average consoletard etc.
I see. Still, King Arthur: Knight's Tale is a perfect example how you can use the Action Points mechanic without oversimplifying it and adding its own mechanics on top of that (armour/health/vitality).

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Played much of the 2nd chapter last night:

• The game is still pretty much on the rails but I guess you can say that things open up slightly in that there will be several main quest objectives and you can choose in which order to do the fights. There are also optional side quests. The ones that don't involve combat just have you ping-ponging around the map. Thankfully, you can set the world map speed to 4x. There are some very minor choices to make in this game but it basically boils down to slightly different quest rewards or which of the companions level up their loyalty.
  • Still not sure exactly how enemy aggro works. I mentioned pods before but I don't think that is the case. I think each enemy is just set to aggro when the player reaches a certain point on the map and the distance they'll travel varies. In any case, on larger maps you're going to be fighting a series of small skirmishes.
  • Enemy variety is pretty good so far. Lots of nasty abilities. Enemies that take 3 hits to kill and regain full health every turn. Enemies with ranged magic attacks that drain over half a character's hit points. Enemies that can swap position with you (one of your characters has this ability). Enemies that throw nail bombs that cause bleeding - bleeding in this game is harsh because the bleed effect is not lost HPs per turn but rather lost HPs per action. Melee enemies that cause your character to be pinned in place for a full turn. Etc.
  • Then there are enemies that seem to be in place for no other reason than to make sure you are checking all your options at the beginning of a fight. These are indians with rifles who have only 5 HP. If one of your characters can get a one shot kill, the game will highlight it for you provided you have the appropriate weapon equipped. On a kill, you get full AP. So in many battles there will be enemies you can eliminate on the 1st turn for free. If they are in pistol or melee range, you can use an AP to move first and then kill them and get full AP. If they are in rifle range, you don't get the free move but you can still kill them for free. You just have to make sure that the 1st thing you do is cycle through each character and check your options with each weapon.
  • The characters you control have varying, uneven abilities. There are six characters in your party and you bring four into combat. So there is a decent variety of tactical options.
  • I've only done one proper horseback fight. They came up with an avoiding obstacles mechanic that made it entertaining the first time but I think the decision to keep these fights very limited (so far) is a good one.
  • I've only received 10 of 26 possible playing cards so far. But I can already see that the card system is going to present some interesting choices late game. In order to fully unlock all of a character's abilities, you need a five of a kind hand. The available cards are 9 through Ace on all four suits plus 2 jokers. Each suit provides one passive bonus - max luck, HP, speed or crit chance. Nines provide the lowest passive bonus and Aces give the highest. You bring four characters into battle. With only 2 jokers, you can fully unlock two characters with the other two getting four of a kind hands + 5th card for passive bonus (missing last 2 abilities). Or you can fully unlock 1 character using four 9s plus a joker and then give the other three characters royal flushes (missing one ability). Any character with a royal flush is going to have one really high stat from passives and base stats on everything else. So there are tradeoffs with how many abilities you unlock per character and also unlocking abilities vs desirable passive bonuses. There is also the possibility that you don't find all the cards, which changes the available options.
I'm liking the 2nd chapter more than the 1st and overall I'm glad I bought the game. I'd still rate the original a bit higher.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
We're blown away to have managed to reach the #1 Global Best Selling Game spot on Steam and also to have the #1 most watched stream yesterday.
In a month of no big releases, the decent mid-budget game will be king.

Codex Year of the Donut
We're blown away to have managed to reach the #1 Global Best Selling Game spot on Steam and also to have the #1 most watched stream yesterday.
In a month of no big releases, the decent mid-budget game will be king.

checking the list, it's not even close to #1
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=win&filter=globaltopsellers
Stray still has it by a very wide margin, but it changes a bit when I refresh. This game is nowhere near #1 though.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Who are these guys, who apparently managed to make decent game from another team's IP?
Have they done any work with any tacticool title before?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahh the combat so far is the worst part of the game by far,anything else is pretty fine. It lack any real complexity,it is just reload the last turn till you find the optimal puzzle solution. The leveling is pretty fancy and fun,but sadly the traits are pretty useless. Also a lot of annoying enemies with op abilities while your companions have mostly useless or situational ones. Now i am on a mission where i have to steal a fucking train in 1 turn because the devs are either retards that confused 10 with 1 or try hard incels.
Makes you think...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ohhh also the % to hit is fake lol,your hits are predetermined at the start of the turn. You could reload the same turn and see that the same actions have the same effect. So if you have 50 chance to hit someone,you will always hit him or not depending on what the game rolled at the start of the turn. You will need to change the position for different % to have different outcome.....maybe. Haven't tried to see if you will have the same outcome if you position yourself for 25%hit chance. That makes the game in to pure puzzle game lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom