Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West 2 - sequel from Ice Code Games

Saduj

Arcane
Is Hard West worth checking out?
Yes, but the combat is very different and the gameplay is split into chapters where you'll be using different protagonists in different chapters. The card system is there but slightly different and the luck mechanic is there but much more important. There is no Bravado but it is possible to get off more than one attack per turn because the AP requirements are different. The more I think about it, the less HW2 seems like a sequel to HW because the gameplay is so different.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finished it on Hard. Fun game but too much on rails. Even a game like Xcom Chimera felt like it was less on rails. Last mission was one of the easier missions in the game lol.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thus far the hardest missions were Flynn's dream and the long one where you have to jump on the ghost train again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Thus far the hardest missions were Flynn's dream and the long one where you have to jump on the ghost train again.
I had a bit of a problem with the guy on the high tower using sniper rifle to shoot your guys in low cover. I had indian dude with axe and shotgun and they cannot reach that due and they would not let you switch the dude with Flynn because Fuck You!
Took a few attempts to figure out that switch is forbidden, I was just thinking I am not standing in right position or something.
Also it is irritating that shotguns don't work on enemies that are not on same floor as your dude, same for special ability from your main dude.
Except for that one mission, all other primary missions were easy, but I missed secondary missions here and there. Also I got no Jokers in my run, not sure how you get them.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Patch 1 BETA Build Now Available!
Howdy all,

We’ve heard a lot of feedback the past week and have worked hard on a balance and bug-fix patch. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on difficulty, enemy strength, and loading times.

In order to take advantage of these fixes, please jump into the Patch Beta branch below. Please keep in mind that this is a test build meant to address your feedback as quickly as possible and has not been tested as thoroughly as we would an official full patch release.

To join the branch:
1) Launch Steam and open your Library. If you have Steam open, please restart it.

21b56a829260b6b38991630cabe0e35a94ee6efc.png

2) Right-click on Hard West 2 and go to properties

f0b6ceb3dd77fb5740298e4feb9b84c77d46952f.png

3) Go to the betas tab and choose Test Branch for Patch 1 Beta Build. There is no password.

b68461b958068bc65a6fd5b43938714ac079bd61.png

Here are the patch notes for this branch:

Performance
  • More Leaks sealed / Loading times were further improved.
  • Crashes and exceptions mitigated.

Gameplay Settings
  • Added an optional toggle called RNG+ which will generate new chance to hit results after each game load.
  • Fixed game speed reset after battles.
  • Skipping a turn no longer causes abilities to be deselected.
  • Demo save loading disabled.

Gameplay Balance fixes

Enemies:
  • Certain enemies will switch to shotguns after depleting dynamite: Revenant Demolishers, Mad Dogs, Blasting Brothers.
  • Explosives attack charges are reduced from infinite to 2 - the same amount of consumables that each Posse can carry.
  • Blackhearts:
  • HP is lowered to 15.
  • Can cast Transfusion only once and it’s range is reduced. Friendly fire enabled.
  • Revenants - Now regenerate only 5 HP.
  • Witches - Can now summon a lesser amount of Revenants and less frequently.
  • Status Effects - Bleeding duration is reduced from 3 to 1.

Posse:
  • Cla'lish - starting equipment is now improved.
  • Lazarus - starting equipment is now improved.

Global:
  • Economy - Mission rewards for main and side objectives are now higher.
  • Economy - Unwanted Trinkets can now be sold at reasonable prices.

Levels:
  • The Ritual - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Frostbitten in Calla Calla - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Frostbitten in Calla Calla - The number of enemies has been lowered.
  • Riftwalkers - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Lady Shrike - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • A Bridge to Nowhere - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Shootout at San Argent - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • The Last Train to Utah - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • The Last Train to Utah - Objective "All posse must survive" has been removed.
  • Grand Bank Robbery - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Grand Bank Robbery - The number of enemies has been lowered.
  • Grand Bank Robbery - Objective "All posse must survive" removed.
  • Hellsgate Station - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Served Cold - all time limit objectives removed on Easy and Hard difficulties.
  • Served Cold - Mission was tweaked to be less punishable, number of enemies has been lowered.
  • Served Cold - Turned off objective "Do not use any of the Posse's skills."
  • Served Cold - Objective "All posse must survive" has been removed (after entering Ghost Train)
  • Served Cold - Obstacles tweaks.
  • Hellgate Station - Objective "All posse must survive"removed.

Additional bug fixes
  • Mission objectives clarified.
  • Blockers removed for certain missions.
  • Localization updates.
  • Characters dropping through the floor.

Known Issues:
  • HDD drive loading times are still long but are not increasing with gameplay time.
  • Revenant Demolisher shotgun VFX is misaligned.
  • Some Chinese Localization is fixed and other reported items are being addressed.
  • Detail Panels over Mammon and Hellspawn do not trigger in multiple languages.

We appreciate all your thoughts, support, and suggestions and hope this patch addresses your most common concerns. We’re on track to deliver the official Patch 1 release by the end of the month, so players who do not wish to play a BETA version of it don’t have too much longer to wait. Please let us know how you’re feeling in the Steam Discussion area and thanks for being a part of our community and the process. We are continuing to add balance items and bug fixes in further patch releases.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They should keep "Hard" difficulty unchanged and instead introduce a new "Medium" difficulty with these changes. :decline:

Taim

Educated
I just want to have the option to play nightmare difficulty without the time limit.

"hard" mode has been pretty easy so far in chapter 1.

Parabalus

Arcane
I just want to have the option to play nightmare difficulty without the time limit.

It's not really hard, even in the pre-nerf version.

Getting all of the optional objectives might in some missions requires some thought, but that's it.

Really don't know why they had to mass nerf everything.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Getting all of the optional objectives might in some missions requires some thought, but that's it.

This is true, true challenge comes from trying to do all or most secondary objectives on Hard. I will admit in some missions where these objectives seemed crazy I didn't bother. Like in one mission they say take control on the train in one turn.. I didn't bother trying to figure it out as there is a ton on enemies between your guys and that part of the train, it would have needed me to save scum like crazy until I tried all the combinations until one works. That is terrible gameplay goal for a game of this type.

Saduj

Arcane
This is true, true challenge comes from trying to do all or most secondary objectives on Hard. I will admit in some missions where these objectives seemed crazy I didn't bother. Like in one mission they say take control on the train in one turn.. I didn't bother trying to figure it out as there is a ton on enemies between your guys and that part of the train, it would have needed me to save scum like crazy until I tried all the combinations until one works. That is terrible gameplay goal for a game of this type.
I usually ignore the side objectives if they seem stupid but that one I did because the reward was a card. It isn't hard, just gimicky.

I just wounded two enemies, one on horseback near Flynn and one further up and on top the train. Then sent Flynn up one, shot backwards to kill the guy on horseback and regain AP. Moved up one, killed the wounded guy on top of the train to regain AP. From there I had her ride her horse up to the first car and I had one AP left to take control on the train.

There is a second side objective to loot a crate for a hand cannon. I was so focused on the other objective that I forgot to check if I could do both....

I did skip a bunch of bullshit side objectives in the 2nd act. I forget which mission, but I thought the worst one was an optional turn limit on a map that had a shitload of revenants. I ended up not opting into the beta and the 3rd act was still much easier than the 2nd. The enemies are just easier to kill. I think I'm down to one more mission before the final now.

Parabalus

Arcane
Like in one mission they say take control on the train in one turn.. I didn't bother trying to figure it out as there is a ton on enemies between your guys and that part of the train, it would have needed me to save scum like crazy until I tried all the combinations until one works. That is terrible gameplay goal for a game of this type.
I found that one to be really great, it's not too complicated at all - trick is realising you don't even have to kill enemies, and using dynamite for reset.

Taking control of the train in one turn is really easy with Flynn, but also looting the safe in the back is slightly more involved, since you need to split the party - stacking speed cards works.

That mission was a highlight imo.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

They had to nerf it because most people aren't smart enough to think more than 2 moves ahead. The sad fact is that people able to plan 3+ moves ahead aren't a big enough market to sustain a game.

For people with decent IQ scores, Hard West 2 is easy. But average people will feel they are struggling against their own mental limitations rather than the game, and that is a recipe for frustration.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I usually ignore the side objectives if they seem stupid but that one I did because the reward was a card. It isn't hard, just gimicky.

I just wounded two enemies, one on horseback near Flynn and one further up and on top the train. Then sent Flynn up one, shot backwards to kill the guy on horseback and regain AP. Moved up one, killed the wounded guy on top of the train to regain AP. From there I had her ride her horse up to the first car and I had one AP left to take control on the train.

There is a second side objective to loot a crate for a hand cannon. I was so focused on the other objective that I forgot to check if I could do both....

I did skip a bunch of bullshit side objectives in the 2nd act. I forget which mission, but I thought the worst one was an optional turn limit on a map that had a shitload of revenants. I ended up not opting into the beta and the 3rd act was still much easier than the 2nd. The enemies are just easier to kill. I think I'm down to one more mission before the final now.
As I said, I am sure there was a way a but I play these game as close to ironman as I can. I only reloaded when I misclicked (only early in the game, later I fortunately learned to be more careful) or game pulled stupid gotcha mechanics (spawning new enemies based on stupid trigger making me not be able to do secondary objectives).

Oropay

Educated
They had to nerf it because most people aren't smart enough to think more than 2 moves ahead.
I'm in Chapter 2 (not playing much because I'm not a huge fan of the game) with the launch version at the Hard difficulty setting. Thus far I don't see that much planning is required; mostly I just focus on full killing as many enemies as possible in a single turn. To be fair I often don't bother with all secondary objectives but I complete most of them

Codex Year of the Donut
only mission I had any trouble with on hard was flynn's spirit mission
getting one of your guys teleported into the middle of the enemies basically across the map(significantly further than flynn is capable of doing it) is instant death for them, if it happens to flynn you have to restart

Saduj

Arcane
Just finished on Hard. Overall I think it is OK and don't regret playing it. But, for me, the game is less than the sum of its parts. The game has interesting character abilities, good enemy variety and AI that can be a pain in the neck at times. The issue I have is that it just plays very differently than the original and I'm less of a fan of this combat style.

• Added an optional toggle called RNG+ which will generate new chance to hit results after each game load.

The scummers win! :lol:
Set dice rolls are just as exploitable anyway. Knowing, at the beginning of your turn, that a certain 50% THC shot is not only going to land but land as a crit and be a kill is huge in this game.

Saduj

Arcane
BTW - What I said in an earlier post about interesting choices for player hands was 100% wrong. I just went four of a kind plus one additional card on each character. The higher cards have higher passive bonuses so the only real choice is which characters get the higher cards. Straight flushes aren't a real option because all the cards of the same suit give bonuses to the same stat. With the possible exception of crit chance, pumping up just one stat at the expense of having shitty stats in everything else is just a bad idea. And the ability bonuses you get for having higher hands aren't really that great past a certain point. With four of a kind, you're going to have characters who are well rounded, maxed out on their unique ability and with plus damage with at least one weapon type. I didn't get any jokers and if I had then I would have gone five of a kind but only because that has all the same advantages of four of a kind.

Parabalus

Arcane
BTW - What I said in an earlier post about interesting choices for player hands was 100% wrong. I just went four of a kind plus one additional card on each character. The higher cards have higher passive bonuses so the only real choice is which characters get the higher cards. Straight flushes aren't a real option because all the cards of the same suit give bonuses to the same stat. With the possible exception of crit chance, pumping up just one stat at the expense of having shitty stats in everything else is just a bad idea. And the ability bonuses you get for having higher hands aren't really that great past a certain point. With four of a kind, you're going to have characters who are well rounded, maxed out on their unique ability and with plus damage with at least one weapon type. I didn't get any jokers and if I had then I would have gone five of a kind but only because that has all the same advantages of four of a kind.

Had the opposite experience, went for straight flushes - most stats are useless to most characters, usually they just want to stack a particular one.

Best one always seemed to be speed, and the Black Joker one.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Had the opposite experience, went for straight flushes - most stats are useless to most characters, usually they just want to stack a particular one.

Best one always seemed to be speed, and the Black Joker one.
Same here, each of 4 had a different straight flush. Indian dude got all move speed, Flynn was bullseye, Undead cowboy was HP and main character got luck.

Saduj

Arcane
Mainly, I wanted good speed on everyone. But I also saw no point in maxing out HP or luck on anyone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Mainly, I wanted good speed on everyone. But I also saw no point in maxing out HP or luck on anyone.
Undead dude ability works of lost HP, each 4 means 1 more damage. So you want to have him lots of HP so he can lose some and not die. And Indian melee dude special ability works of speed, for each 2 speed you get +1 damage. If you focus full on speed he can one shot most enemies.

Saduj

Arcane
Undead dude ability works of lost HP, each 4 means 1 more damage. So you want to have him lots of HP so he can lose some and not die. And Indian melee dude special ability works of speed, for each 2 speed you get +1 damage. If you focus full on speed he can one shot most enemies.
I get how the abilities work. I just found slow characters to be pretty useless compared to characters that could move around and support each other. I also generally didn't use the Indian dude. I guess it just comes down to how you want to play so I'll take back saying straight flushes are shit....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom