Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hazeron Starship - A seamless space sandbox universe

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I've built my first true spaceship, in the classic 50s-60s rocket-ship style. Very cool. And I have started to really explore my two local stars. The first planet I landed on in the sister star system had these amazing mountainous peaks everywhere and the "sun rise" just bathed the landscape in a creepy red light. Wind speeds are crazy, tornado speeds, and this world is so cold, my instruments cant even measure it. Very atmospheric.

distantworld0.jpg

And here is the view back to home home star and the the gay frog planet I built a city on.

distantworld.jpg

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Headed home after a long journey exploring my home systems. Next step is to build a true starship so I can go much further.

headedhome.png

And here are a couple shots of the rocket space ship landed on the surface.

rocket-bridge.jpg

rocketsize.jpg

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
You can't build a large starship on the ground, you need a station first. Here it is, you can see it from the ground.

stationfar.jpg

I've also built a new shuttlecraft to go check out the new station.

dockstation.jpg

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
After building a couple more moon colonies to gather specific resources, I've finally completed my first true intersteller Star Ship. It's as basic as can be. No warp drive, no weapons, no harvesting bays. It has a Grav drive which allows you to hold your position without using rocket fuel, and it allows you to walk around the ship without floating around.

firststarship.png

I've used this model before. A great start ship for first extra-solar excursions.

Here is a shot of the bridge:

firststarshipint.png

It also has a private captain's quarters, a crew quarters with bunks, and a small storage bay in the back. Everything you need for shorter trips around your sector.

My first goal is to find Ioplasma and Vulcanite. The former being necessary to create harvesting bays which you need in order to mine planetary rings. I need that in order to build a bigger, better starship, and get warp drives so I can really start exploring deeper space. Vulcanite is a hardened lava rock, what you need to make the Magmex resource which you can use to build tougher hulls and tougher space suits to survive harsher planetary environments.

First target is another nearby binary star that should have the correct planetary atmospheres:

sector.jpg

I arrive in the system after about an hour of travel time and discover it only has one possible option, a huge ringed world with Ioplasma in its atmosphere.

firstinsidious-sys.png

firstinsidious.png

Only problem is this planet's atmosphere is "Insidious" which means that it will melt my metal ship if I enter the atmosphere. I give it a shot, trying to land near that volcano, but my hull instantly begins to take damage and I have to retreat back into orbit.

This system is a no-go. Heading right now to another binary system nearby. Going to repair the ship along the way...

i've had this installed for a month, never launched once, i still i can't overcome the disgust for those deformed puppets.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think I'd play an ugly polygonal space game (or bland tile-based rouge-like a la Approaching Infinity) if it had enough depth. As long as the polygons have solids. Don't think I could ever go back to something like Elite on my old C64 with the 5-colors and wire-frame graphics. Some things are just too ugly to play.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
The graphics do look a lot nicer when you're playing the game. Screenshots don't do it justice.

It took me 3 more system jumps to finally find an Inferno world with the resources I needed and the right atmosphere for me to land.

Along the way I did come across some pretty sights though. This massively ringed blueberry was really breathtaking when moving in closer.
ringed-lava-blue-atmos.jpg

The system I ended up in had an Inner planet with a pleasant atmosphere as well. I could put another colony here if I wanted, however, only "Habitable" worlds actually have sentient life forms you can bring into your empire. Also, only habitable worlds can produce an officer, and you only get one officer per habitable world. Only officers can control starships 100% remotely. I think I'll wait until I find a habitable world.

alienworld.jpg

And here is a shot from my ship of my just completed Inferno colony, next to a volcano of course for atmosphere. I even put a Biodome on it. You can grow and harvest plants that way for food.

infernoworld.png

I love the distant particle effects in the atmosphere.

So I'm now able to ship Phlogiston & IoPlasma from this world back to my home world. That will allow me to build laser weapons and bigger, better ships. Colonies outside your own system are more tricky to deal with. You have to build special buildings called, "Brokers". These buildings allow you to schedule shipments out of the system. Without that, you cannot send resources around. So on the first trip, you're going to have to manually carry the resources you need aboard your ship. If you don't bring enough, or forget something, you gotta fly all the way back home and get what you need. I had to do this 3 or 4 times. An hour and a half each way. Fun times.

My original home planet is my commodity world. I gather all of my important resources there and I also have the biggest population there. My second world (Gay Frog planet) is where my shipyards are at as well as a military base "Fort Froggy". I'm headed back there now to begin construction on new ship modules.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
The only thing I really need left for my new ship build is warp drive module. Warp drives require Antiflux particles which can only be harvested from rings. Lucky for me I have rings around my shipyard world.

I downloaded this new design by Haxus from the workshop and it is actually very cool.

harvester.jpg

It is specifically designed to harvest particles. A fairly easy build as well and the interior is surprisingly good. Three levels separated by ladders, complete with a crew quarters on the top

harvester-int.jpg

Here is my crew harvesting my rings while I relax in zero G. What a great shot.

harvesting.jpg

harvesting2.jpg

This is how much I've harvested only after about 30 minutes. This is going to take a while.

particles.jpg

Fortunately, you can order officers to do this automatically, which is what I'll do next time.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Stepped away from my PC for a while my crew was harvesting. I come back to the game and walk out of my captain's quarters. There are body parts all over the ship. Something terrible has happened. The harvester is off and the lights are flickering.

On the bridge, more body parts everywhere. Then I see movement out of the corner of my eye...

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUU...

creature2.jpg

It charges at me and gets a few hits on me, but I take it down.

creature3.jpg

Only my pilot is left alive, missing his right arm. How the hell did this thing get on board the ship? We're headed back down to the planet to lick our wounds.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Took me quite some time, but I finally finished building my first epic exploring warp-capable starship. This is a big boy. I've loaded it with various land & air vehicles and a shuttle-craft. Also has all kinds of stations and rooms, a transporter station, a huge bridge, and even a very nice and very big captain's quarters. Of course I've also loaded it up with all the food, tools, and materials for a very long journey through space.

deepstar1.jpg

deepstar2.jpg

deepstar3.jpg

deepstar4.jpg

deepstar5.jpg

deepstar6.jpg

First new star I explore is a big system with a habitable world. There is also a breathable inner world with a lot of giant snakes and giant spiders.

hugeinnerworld.jpg

serpents.jpg

Oh, and I love this shot of the amazing mountain peaks on this world. The cloud effects on that mountain are amazing.

cloudypeaks.jpg

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
As I arrive at the habitable world in this system I get a message from Klaus Schwab and the World Economic Forum:

8d75wv.jpg

Basically I get to play out the plot of Alien Nation from the perspective of the aliens. This is going to be awesome!

AlienNation__33495.1651545655.jpg

==OR==

Miles_quaritch.jpg

Hmmm...

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I've met intelligent life!

First thing they do is to attack me from behind, but luckily my new Vulcium suit easily protects me. I spin around and point my gun in their faces, and as soon as they see my advanced weaponry they back down.

meetingintelligentlife.jpg

These savages are barely even human. Not human at all.

reptiliansinthemist.jpg

Their world is a very hot jungle. Giant insects prowl the landscape, and it seems a perpetual fog covers everything. These reptile beings live near a volcano, covered in jungle vegetation. What a strange world.

I'm still not sure if I can trust these savages. I badly need a new officer though, can I educate them or should I exterminate them?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Haven't played Hazeron Starship but sometimes awkward looking graphics (not necessarily meaning crude) can take me right out of the game, no matter how well done the design or gameplay. After playing something like Heretic or Hexen I remember finding some of the monsters in Witchaven looking too ridiculous to want to continue.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
The dev has been very active pushing out updates, mostly bug fixes. He recently added a fully true season system based on planetary rotation around its sun, even taking planetary tilt into account. Plants will change and seeds will now properly grow in pots. Very cool.

https://hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3072

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom