Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hazeron Starship - A seamless space sandbox universe

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Here's a game which routinely gets praised on the Codex. It won third place in the 2022 Vintage RPG poll. Dark Sun.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I see a jumbled mess of pixels with no depth perception whatsoever. Blobs of green and brown junk everywhere. That is apparently a bridge, but I can't tell how high above the ground it is. Is that green stuff going up a cliff or down a cliff? Who knows. Is that man lying face down in the dirt or standing up? There are no shadows so how can I tell?

And you might say, "well thats a much older game." But what does age have to do with it? Good graphics are good or bad regardless of their time.

You want shit graphics. Here it is. But nobody here will admit that because your bias clouds your objective judgment of graphics.

hFwVIQ3.png

The only reason why you see that vomit from Dwarf Fortress as an artistic masterpiece is because Dwarf Fortess is now a popular game and mainstream. It wasn't that way when DF started, believe me, I was around back then and saw the chuckles from onlookers.

So what is really going on here is easy to explain. Industry fan-boys gotta defend the turf from newcomers. Pop-culture gamers go with the cool crowd because they are sheep.
Shitting on dark sun isn't helping your case bruv, especially when depth perception is nuncupatory to the gameplay experience.

The problem isn't graphics but art style.
Here's what I see here:

A procedural alien creature generator which can create a near-infinite amount of strange and bizarre creatures. You can even tame and mount those creatures.

There is almost the same infinite amount of options for generating your own species. You can make them as wacky or interesting as you want.

You can take said creatures into a a massive seamless galaxy and explore countless planets, moons, and other celestial celestial bodies.

Amazing. No other space game comes close with that freedom.

You remind me of those Europeans who criticize Americans for their freedoms because freedom can sometimes be messy.
Actually impressive for the size of what, 100 MB?

Don't change the subject. The claim was over graphics not "art style" or "game experience".

Nice try though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's a game which routinely gets praised on the Codex. It won third place in the 2022 Vintage RPG poll. Dark Sun.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I see a jumbled mess of pixels with no depth perception whatsoever. Blobs of green and brown junk everywhere. That is apparently a bridge, but I can't tell how high above the ground it is. Is that green stuff going up a cliff or down a cliff? Who knows. Is that man lying face down in the dirt or standing up? There are no shadows so how can I tell?

And you might say, "well thats a much older game." But what does age have to do with it? Good graphics are good or bad regardless of their time.

You want shit graphics. Here it is. But nobody here will admit that because your bias clouds your objective judgment of graphics.

hFwVIQ3.png

The only reason why you see that vomit from Dwarf Fortress as an artistic masterpiece is because Dwarf Fortess is now a popular game and mainstream. It wasn't that way when DF started, believe me, I was around back then and saw the chuckles from onlookers.

So what is really going on here is easy to explain. Industry fan-boys gotta defend the turf from newcomers. Pop-culture gamers go with the cool crowd because they are sheep.
Shitting on dark sun isn't helping your case bruv, especially when depth perception is nuncupatory to the gameplay experience.

The problem isn't graphics but art style.
Here's what I see here:

A procedural alien creature generator which can create a near-infinite amount of strange and bizarre creatures. You can even tame and mount those creatures.

There is almost the same infinite amount of options for generating your own species. You can make them as wacky or interesting as you want.

You can take said creatures into a a massive seamless galaxy and explore countless planets, moons, and other celestial celestial bodies.

Amazing. No other space game comes close with that freedom.

You remind me of those Europeans who criticize Americans for their freedoms because freedom can sometimes be messy.
Actually impressive for the size of what, 100 MB?

Don't change the subject. The claim was over graphics not "art style" or "game experience".

Nice try though.
I honestly think it's a problem of artstyle not graphics. It's not a deal breaker for me as long as there's a third person camera and AI empires are in.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
shit thread for shit game, you'd think that after over 20 years it had gathered a bigger fanbase

Web-capture-14-12-2023-23019-steamdb-info.jpg

I'm happy with those numbers and I hope this game never gets mass appeal. If that happens, it means that it will have been dumbed down for dumb people. I'm here to recruit people who have an appreciation for something that sits outside the usual fast-food offering of other space games that most here will slurp up.

Hazeron is in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Been playing it for more than a decade and I keep coming back to it. Truly a diamond in a sea of mediocrity in my opinion.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
it must appeal to a certain kind of autist if it only has at most 30 people globally playing at any given time

must be truly the summit of prestigious space games

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
it must appeal to a certain kind of autist if it only has at most 30 people globally playing at any given time

Why is what other people do with their time so important for you in order to judge something? You sound vaxxed.

Vic

Savant

Why is what other people do with their time so important for you in order to judge something? You sound vaxxed.
because I don't have the time myself to judge each and every game, and in this case it seems it's not good enough to attract enough people. nobody cares about hazeron.

look at other games like transport tycoon or rollercoaster tycoon, people love these games so much that they made their own versions, OpenTTD and OpenRCT2 respectively.

I am interested in this game or else I wouldn't be watching this thread, but despite your claims seems like it's shit.

Vic

Savant
also why don't you make some commentary on what you are currently doing in the game? post some screenshots, give some insights etc.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
also why don't you make some commentary on what you are currently doing in the game? post some screenshots, give some insights etc.

Right now I just built my first rocket and I'm building my first moon colony so I can mine Eludium. Unfortunately, my starting world didn't have a moon, so I had to land on a moon on another planet in my system. I also forgot to bring tongs with me, a tool you need for Eludium harvesting. I'll have to fly back home and do this trip all over again...which is typical.

moon.png

Also here's a screenshot of me exploring earlier on my homeworld.

image.png

Exploring my home world on a mount is pretty fun. I take a break at night because it's easy to get killed by wild animals when you can't see anything. Our system has two stars, the one you see is the second one, much farther away with its own system of planets. My people call it the Great Omen and we are called the People of Omen in its honor. Our people worship it as a god.

To the west of my capitol city is a massive inland lake. It is very shallow, only a dozen feet or so at its deepest. Makes me wonder how that happened, maybe an ancient crater. I've been building settlements around the lake, but on the far west side is a vast flat desert. When you're standing in the middle of it, you cannot see a single tree or hill in any direction. My people send our exiles there to die.
To the south the ground rises into highlands, leading to a volcano. At the center of the volcano are crystals which our tribe uses as relics of worship when they go on pilgrimages to appease the gods.
To the east of the city is a gigantic continent-sized forest, I took a vehicle out there recently and discovered a huge chasm, something like the grand canyon. I built a little house next to it with a chopper landing pad as my getaway spot. Very nice and tranquil out there.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Interested.

How is the learning curve?
How is performance?

The game is a bit tricky to learn at first. Things aren't very intuitive, but you do get nice tool-tips on everything. There is a wiki which explains everything in the game though, just follow that and you'll figure it out.

Performance is good. I've run the game just fine on an old Geforce 950 before. I wouldn't try it on an integrated graphics card though.
The game is single player only so there is zero lag now (it used to run as a MMO on a server and lag was pretty bad).

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
At the center of the volcano are crystals which our tribe uses as relics of worship when they go on pilgrimages to appease the gods.
is there some form of religion system or something?

No, that's me role-playing. I get a lot more into it when I name landmarks and make up little stories of the why/how. I take my time playing in the early game. I really like how the game gives you the feeling of going from cave man to warp engines.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
moon2.png

Here's the moon from first-person with the helmet GUI displayed. You can see the airport, my rocket (off to the left), and my home world way off in the distance. I love the sense of scale in this game. Not long ago I was down there at my cabin in the woods.

The grey bar in the middle is a ring around this planet. I haven't been down to this world yet, but if it's breathable I'm considering just starting a new settlement here. Less time to go back and forth.

Currently working on a solar powerplant, which takes forever.

Vic

Savant
At the center of the volcano are crystals which our tribe uses as relics of worship when they go on pilgrimages to appease the gods.

No, that's me role-playing. I get a lot more into it when I name landmarks and make up little stories of the why/how. I take my time playing in the early game. I really like how the game gives you the feeling of going from cave man to warp engines.
dwarf fortress has religion, why isn't more societal stuff simulated?

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

dwarf fortress has religion, why isn't more societal stuff simulated?

Dunno, that would be a neat feature though. Currently when your civilization grows it asks for certain buildings to increase their happiness rating. More happiness = more babies. One of those buildings is a church. I saw some pretty neat designs in the past, including a pyramid. A race of Lizardmen worshipping atop pyramids has always intrigued me.

For now religion is just role-played. You could make that kind of thing clear in a multiplayer environment when encountering other players.

Vic

Savant
does it have physics simulated? does water freeze and turn to gas etc?

can you make a steam engine?

can you use lava to smelt/cook/heat?

can your character freeze to death or get a heat stroke?

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

No, it doesn't have any of that kind of intricate detail like a game like Dwarf Fortress with fluid, heat, freezing and all of that. That said, the weather system is pretty neat. Temperature range and wind speed varies on each world and is impacted by your latitude and elevation (it will start snowing when it gets cold enough), and rain comes from rain clouds. Right now I think those only impact you indirectly (you can't freeze to death currently). You need rain in the environment for water refineries, you need ice for ice making, etc.

Some planet environments are more hazardous than others and you can craft ships and suits with better materials to withstand it. You can only get certain materials from those worlds.

Modron

Arcane

Are you prosper pretending to be a real person:
For immersion, I plan to add real rain. Rain that falls from the sky and doesn't penetrate collision objects. Rain that turns into puddles, floods, and flowing water. Also displacement of the water will be possible. Like you step in one hole of water and it causes the water to be splashed into a neighboring hole thus filling that neighbor up..

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
I was able to build a habitat on the moon. Able to take off my suit and breath air again inside. You can see out the window there is the edge of a huge crater in the distance.

moon4.png

moon3.png

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Despite the gay fanboy here, hazeron is a quite interesting building game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom