Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hazeron Starship - A seamless space sandbox universe

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
from the steam forums:

Since it's now a single player focused game, I would hope that Haxus strongly considers adding NPC empires and faction commodity trading for the sake of longevity.

The game currently has pirate factions, but I'm talking much bigger empires of RNG aliens with varying levels of tech and hostility toward the player.

The end-game of the original online Shores of Hazeron was player vs player interaction, but now that is missing. Adding discoverable NPC trading stations where you could buy/sell resources for profit would really take this game to another level, imo.

seems like there's no trading or diplomacy with other empires in the game (they are always hostile towards you)

That post is from me.

You are correct, the NPC interaction is extremely limited. This game is primarily a space exploration and civ builder experience, not a space trader (a la Elite). Adjust your expectations accordingly. That said, I'm hoping the NPC experience gets fleshed out more in the future.
I don't think it's going to happen; it's more likely the MMO version but solo. He also never accepted help from anyone, and if he wanted to hire a team for this, he could have done so 20 years ago already. Without other players, it will certainly lose a lot of its interest, as it was fun to design a ship completely from scratch and land on other people's places to show them or level down their whole civilization. There was a certain old-school MMO feel with a lot of griefing. The first guy I met was a Brazilian who landed his warship; I chatted with him and became friends, but he confessed later that his first intentions were simply to raze everything as it was too close to his system. While some were building racing arenas on their ships, mine were min-maxed warships with a few inside turrets to prevent hijacking, as you could easily invade other player ships, bomb the hatch, and kill the crew inside. Without those player interactions and without AI empires, which I expect to be extremely unlikely to happen, it will lose a lot of its interest. It's already very niche because it's for gamers who go for stuff like Dwarf Fortress in ASCII or indie multiplayer games like Space Station 13. It's true gaming in its purest form and not for everyone.

Haxus has mentioned more than once that he would like to re-implement network capability at some point if interest is high enough in the Steam release. Here's what he said a while back. That said, the guy is extremely wish-washy, so who knows.
http://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2824
The servers are not being dismantled. It was too much work and too expensive to throw away. Instead they will go into hibernation in their little climate controlled room in town. The computer hosting my web and email servers will remain online.

That will cut my expenses by more than $2000 per month. It also eliminates a lot of stress from my world.

The code is structured such that little effort is needed to keep the server code alive. I’ll do that as long as it’s easy.

Each worker server only loads the portion of the universe assigned to it. No server loads all of the data in the universe; it’s too big. This makes access to some data complicated to acquire, by a worker, the server your client spends most of its time talking with.

Conversely the solo game loads the entire universe. All data is instantly accessible in the computer’s memory throughout the game. The temptation to cheat will be difficult to resist, especially when it comes to storyline. That will break the MMO but it would not preclude a single-server hosted network game.

I like the idea of keeping network playability. The game cries out for it. The feature would require a fair bit of coding and testing.

Then cold hard reality sets in.

Hazeron Starship is currently configured to sell for $9.99 on Steam. Considering the million plus dollars I’ve already put into this project, it might have to sell quite a few copies before I get interested in investing much more. 100 copies? Nah; I carry that much in my pocket for spending money. 1000 copies? Ho hum. 10,000 copies? Now I’m interested. I do not know what to expect. Many games were kind of rough in version one, sold a lot of copies, then got a major facelift in version two.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Personally, I'd be just as happy if the NPC pirates were fleshed out to be actual empires that expand, and that you could trade with and fight/conquer. So the developer has two directions he could go in potentially to flesh out the end-game.

He is also considering this as well based on some past statements:
http://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2825&pid=10242#pid10242
AI controlled empires. I have toyed with the idea of making the pirate empires smarter and less hostile.

But none of these things are likely to happen if the Steam release flops.

Mortmal

Arcane
from the steam forums:

Since it's now a single player focused game, I would hope that Haxus strongly considers adding NPC empires and faction commodity trading for the sake of longevity.

The game currently has pirate factions, but I'm talking much bigger empires of RNG aliens with varying levels of tech and hostility toward the player.

The end-game of the original online Shores of Hazeron was player vs player interaction, but now that is missing. Adding discoverable NPC trading stations where you could buy/sell resources for profit would really take this game to another level, imo.

seems like there's no trading or diplomacy with other empires in the game (they are always hostile towards you)

That post is from me.

You are correct, the NPC interaction is extremely limited. This game is primarily a space exploration and civ builder experience, not a space trader (a la Elite). Adjust your expectations accordingly. That said, I'm hoping the NPC experience gets fleshed out more in the future.
I don't think it's going to happen; it's more likely the MMO version but solo. He also never accepted help from anyone, and if he wanted to hire a team for this, he could have done so 20 years ago already. Without other players, it will certainly lose a lot of its interest, as it was fun to design a ship completely from scratch and land on other people's places to show them or level down their whole civilization. There was a certain old-school MMO feel with a lot of griefing. The first guy I met was a Brazilian who landed his warship; I chatted with him and became friends, but he confessed later that his first intentions were simply to raze everything as it was too close to his system. While some were building racing arenas on their ships, mine were min-maxed warships with a few inside turrets to prevent hijacking, as you could easily invade other player ships, bomb the hatch, and kill the crew inside. Without those player interactions and without AI empires, which I expect to be extremely unlikely to happen, it will lose a lot of its interest. It's already very niche because it's for gamers who go for stuff like Dwarf Fortress in ASCII or indie multiplayer games like Space Station 13. It's true gaming in its purest form and not for everyone.

Haxus has mentioned more than once that he would like to re-implement network capability at some point if interest is high enough in the Steam release. Here's what he said a while back. That said, the guy is extremely wish-washy, so who knows.
The servers are not being dismantled. It was too much work and too expensive to throw away. Instead they will go into hibernation in their little climate controlled room in town. The computer hosting my web and email servers will remain online.

That will cut my expenses by more than $2000 per month. It also eliminates a lot of stress from my world.

The code is structured such that little effort is needed to keep the server code alive. I’ll do that as long as it’s easy.

Each worker server only loads the portion of the universe assigned to it. No server loads all of the data in the universe; it’s too big. This makes access to some data complicated to acquire, by a worker, the server your client spends most of its time talking with.

Conversely the solo game loads the entire universe. All data is instantly accessible in the computer’s memory throughout the game. The temptation to cheat will be difficult to resist, especially when it comes to storyline. That will break the MMO but it would not preclude a single-server hosted network game.

I like the idea of keeping network playability. The game cries out for it. The feature would require a fair bit of coding and testing.

Hazeron Starship is currently configured to sell for $9.99 on Steam. Considering the million plus dollars I’ve already put into this project, it might have to sell quite a few copies before I get interested in investing much more. 100 copies? Nah; I carry that much in my pocket for spending money. 1000 copies? Ho hum. 10,000 copies? Now I’m interested. I do not know what to expect. Many games were kind of rough in version one, sold a lot of copies, then got a major facelift in version two.
Yes, he said so, but sadly, he again has no clue about what makes a game successful; he's good at making a simulation, but that's all. A simple example: the city building at the beginning was just landing building blocks and drawing straight lines for roads; it was good enough. However, he redesigned it, spending time on stuff that was not necessary but neglecting aspects that would be sorely needed, like a reason to build all those ships and cities. There's absolutely no reason to optimize and get Q255 materials for a solo version as the NPCs were never challenging. Local coop won't do anything good; it needs a bigger community. It's a bit like RPG Codex; you need the jerks and the retards to make things fun; you need to band together with friends to protect your turf. For example, you had the Syndicate who were rude, retarded jerks, but it was fun to fight them, despite the lag. It's nice to have a good simulation, but you need human players; AI ones are still impossible for now to have emerging gameplay. Otherwise, it will be very dull very fast. Once you have launched a ship in shores of Hazeron solo, you have seen everything, i have no reasons to think it will be any different in hazeron ship. It's like being a dolphin in an ocean with no sharks...
I am harsh with indies, but I am telling the truth, not luring people into something that won't ever happen.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If this guy were smart he'd open the game wide for modder support. Given the frankly rather incredible breadth of the game, I think creative modders would take to it like ducks to water and relatively quickly transform its graphical appeal to instantly hook a LOT more potential players (like me).

Even if he only accepted help strictly for the graphics, like someone else said, he'd likely soon be rolling in money.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
from the steam forums:

That post is from me.

Yes, he said so, but sadly, he again has no clue about what makes a game successful; he's good at making a simulation, but that's all. A simple example: the city building at the beginning was just landing building blocks and drawing straight lines for roads; it was good enough. However, he redesigned it, spending time on stuff that was not necessary but neglecting aspects that would be sorely needed, like a reason to build all those ships and cities. There's absolutely no reason to optimize and get Q255 materials for a solo version as the NPCs were never challenging. Local coop won't do anything good; it needs a bigger community. It's a bit like RPG Codex; you need the jerks and the retards to make things fun; you need to band together with friends to protect your turf. For example, you had the Syndicate who were rude, retarded jerks, but it was fun to fight them, despite the lag. It's nice to have a good simulation, but you need human players; AI ones are still impossible for now to have emerging gameplay. Otherwise, it will be very dull very fast. Once you have launched a ship in shores of Hazeron solo, you have seen everything, i have no reasons to think it will be any different in hazeron ship. It's like being a dolphin in an ocean with no sharks...
I am harsh with indies, but I am telling the truth, not luring people into something that won't ever happen.

I technicallly agree with all of your points, however, I spent several hundred hours playing this game completely alone. So for $9.99 (the price I'm expecting) you're still getting quite a bit of fun for the cost of entry.

I'm crossing my fingers that a multiplayer mode will be reintroduced someday if this gains enough traction. Even local server hosting with, say, 64 players would go a long way to setup some neat PVP experiences.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
If this guy were smart he'd open the game wide for modder support. Given the frankly rather incredible breadth of the game, I think creative modders would take to it like ducks to water and relatively quickly transform its graphical appeal to instantly hook a LOT more potential players (like me).

Even if he only accepted help strictly for the graphics, like someone else said, he'd likely soon be rolling in money.

Actually he has already opened it up for Steam Workshop integration for players to create and upload their own buildings and ship designs. That's one of the main draws of the game - player designed assets. I am really excited to see what the community can come up with. The designer is very advanced, practically a CAD level object creator. In the right hands, you can make some very neat stuff.

But yeah, more open source from the community would be great. I think Haxus, IRL is in his 60s and spends his summers working on his farm in Nebraska. He has less and less time to develop the game and I'm hoping one day he gifts the source code to the community to further develop.

Mortmal

Arcane

Oh, he's smart; he had a company doing 3D CAD design. The reason the ship designer is so good and too complex for a mainstream crowd. He's living on his ranch now, has his hangar with a plane( one more reason the flight model is good); he's not doing bad, I am sure—probably borderline survivalist. He was saying he was losing a ton of weight doing farming. Nothing wrong with him; I think he just doesn't have the mindset to make the change needed or give his baby to open source. He's more oriented towards design and simulation and not enough gaming. I am not sure he could easily work with a team; the guy feels a bit like Cleveland Blakemore or Pierre Begue. To make those kinds of games, you need a balance of skills and craziness, as it won't repay you for the hours spent. Then asking to make such an individual work in a team is probably impossible.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
my eyes! MY FUCKING EYES!

Frontierbluespace.png

Getting off topic here, but I'm curious why some people get so bothered by bad graphics. Is it an age thing? My two Millenial younger brothers are the same way. I grew up on Ultima 1 and Elite and Wizardry 1 so none of that really bothers me at all. In fact, I think modern graphics look awful to me, they remove all imagination. I remember coming home from school every day and spending hours playing games on this machine and having great fun.

gaming-on-the-text-only-ibm-5150-pc-from-1981-makes-you-v0-3rnyb2fc4n291.jpg

Hazeron looks pretty great to me graphically, and mechanically it blows all of the modern space games out of the water like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, X4, and No Man's Sky.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Graphics do look a little prosperian for the current age, but overall it sounds like a very interesting title. I might chceck it out later.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
my eyes! MY FUCKING EYES!

Frontierbluespace.png

Getting off topic here, but I'm curious why some people get so bothered by bad graphics. Is it an age thing? My two Millenial younger brothers are the same way. I grew up on Ultima 1 and Elite and Wizardry 1 so none of that really bothers me at all. In fact, I think modern graphics look awful to me, they remove all imagination. I remember coming home from school every day and spending hours playing games on this machine and having great fun.

gaming-on-the-text-only-ibm-5150-pc-from-1981-makes-you-v0-3rnyb2fc4n291.jpg

Hazeron looks pretty great to me graphically, and mechanically it blows all of the modern space games out of the water like Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, X4, and No Man's Sky.
Dude's just upset because he's Italian

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
oh damn, completely missed the launch of this game, now all the hype has already died down

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As I said in the other thread, this game looks, from a design standpoint, amazing. I have to admit, sadly, because of its very rudimentary appearance, that I doubt I'll play it, but it's certainly worthy of attention and discussion.
One of the most monocled ways I've read someone putting into words 'shitty graphics'.

Personally I don't mind the environment in most games, irrespective how rough it may look, but prosperian character models make them absolutely less enjoyable for me.

More OT: I like ASCII as the second best aesthetic style after pre-rendered isometric, so I wouldn't describe myself as an ardent graphics connoisseur, or a graphics whore, as the more prestigious term goes.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
it’s not the low polygon count that makes it look ugly, rather the lack of aesthetic design sense of the developer. Good ASCII looks like a work of art compared to this abomination.

i don't remember a single game which looked this fucking fucked up. not even ecstatica looked this much like ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom