Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heart of the swarm ending.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You are hallucinating. SC main plot was excellent, and the cinematics were brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMOTrIjVao

Blizzard's decline started with Diablo 2. The game starts good and the cinematic quality of the videos was excellent, up until the third act, where things begin to deteriorate. Warcraft III carried the decline further with the insanely shitty story, but the cinematic were still somewhat good. Well directed at least.

SC2 just went full derp, with no redeeming quality whatsoever.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Sooooo shit. SC and BW are fucking masterpieces compared to this.

Lyric Suite said:
You are hallucinating. SC main plot was excellent, and the cinematics were brilliant:

I guess we just have completely different ideas on what makes a story good. No point in arguing then. I agree about cinematics of course, Blizzard was always good at making those. Why are so many of you quick to believe that is the actual ending cinematic from HoS though? The quality of it is extremely shitty, way beyond of what was in WOL.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Multidirectional said:
Lyric Suite said:

I guess we just have completely different ideas on what makes a story good. Not point in arguing then. I agree about cinematics of course, Blizzard was always good at making those.

And there we go again. :roll: Another brave crusader coming to defend SC2 shitty attrocious inane moronic cretinic abomination of a storyline. Story not only inconsistent with what happened in the previous installments, not only extremely cliched to such extremes that our EXTREME SHEPARD loses his cool, but also so badly written and nonsensical that it constituates direct threat to one's brain cells.

I'll be fair - in the campaign mission design treated as single entities was mostly good to briliant. However, when put together storywise and largely gameplaywise they suck ass hard. It is someone made good single-player maps and then they were given to the writing team to make plot for them. Naturally, the team comprised a bunch of angsty 14-year olds - I see no other option.

In before 'story is not important... You don't play Blizzard games for teh storiez...' When you advertise your $100mln game as the next best thing since the sliced bread and it is expected to have 2 addons with separate campaings it'd better deliver quality, not pedestrian pulp fiction.

Regarding cinematics - they were only redeeming quality of D2 singleplayer, they were quite good diversion from Warcraft3 bullshit and they are absolutely horrendous in SC2. Jesus strike me hard and with precision , if I had ever watched more ludicrous bullcrap accompanied by admittedly fitting in the context tear-of-a-clueless-patriot music.

Mrowak

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
Why are so many of you quick to believe that is the actual ending cinematic from HoS though? The quality of it is extremely shitty, way beyond of what was in WOL.

Son, I'am disappoint. That was obviously technical demo from which the true cinematic will be randered... Shit, man - that one was obvious.

I'm giving 95% it's legit - they have voiceovers by original actors already implemeted, after all.

Lyric Suite said:

Blizzard's decline started with Diablo 2. The game starts good and the cinematic quality of the videos was excellent, up until the third act, where things begin to deteriorate. Warcraft III carried the decline further with the insanely shitty story, but the cinematic were still somewhat good. Well directed at least.

SC2 just went full derp, with no redeeming quality whatsoever.

WC3 had a pretty decent story for most of the game. There was a bit of silliness and retconning which I'm sure would be much more annoying if the WC2 story was seriously interesting in the first place, but it wasn't. I liked that Blizzard seemed to be carving out two distinct RTS genres, SC being army-focused while WC was being character-focused. Of course, then MMOs started and WC3 TFT was pretty much made as a lead in to WoW, and in the end all the accumulated Derp from developers who fooled themselves into thinking that WoW was actually a good game went right back into SC2.

Mrowak said:
And there we go again. :roll: Another brave crusader coming to defend SC2 shitty attrocious inane moronic cretinic abomination of a storyline.

Didn't I just say I thought all Blizzard games have shit stories? Or were you talking about someone else? I only said I don't get all the bitching about story in SC2. It's a fucking RTS, not RPG. The game is mainly about fights between space marines and two alien races and you are disappointed it doesn't have a good story, give me a break... Do you think you look smart by being so butthurt over it? Am I the only one who's not a hopeless nerd here?

Mrowak said:
In before 'story is not important... You don't play Blizzard games for teh storiez...' When you advertise your $100mln game as the next best thing since the sliced bread and it is expected to have 2 addons with separate campaings it'd better deliver quality, not pedestrian pulp fiction.

Yeah, high production costs are obviously a hint of good writing, what else would cost so much? Movies like "Titanic" and "Avatar" surely prove
this.

Mrowak said:
Regarding cinematics - they were only redeeming quality of D2 singleplayer, they were quite good diversion from Warcraft3 bullshit and they are absolutely horrendous in SC2. Jesus strike me hard and with precision , if I had ever watched more ludicrous bullcrap accompanied by admittedly fitting in the context tear-of-a-clueless-patriot music.

That they are silly it's one thing, but from a production standpoint they were still pretty much top quality. I turned my brain off and enjoyed them for what they were.

Mrowak

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
Mrowak said:
And there we go again. :roll: Another brave crusader coming to defend SC2 shitty attrocious inane moronic cretinic abomination of a storyline.

Didn't I just say I thought all Blizzard games have shit stories? Or were you talking about someone else? I only said I don't get all the bitching about story in SC2. It's a fucking RTS, not RPG. The game is mainly about fights between space marines and two alien races and you are disappointed it doesn't have a good story, give me a break...

No, I did not expect Blizzard to make Planescape of the RTS, I just wanted interstellar conflict of catastrophic proportions. You know, big huge ships vomiting plasma fire, worlds consumed by zerg infestation, nuclear holocaust, stuff like that - stuff you could experience in SC1 if not game proper than manuals. Only thanks to Bioware did my brain not melt the moment Raynor :kicked revolution into overdrive: Oh well.

Yes, most of Blizzard games have decent to shit stories. With the exception of Diablo 1 where from seemingly shit plot we got sth unique all of them left a lot to be desired. My point was not "omg give me mah storiez!!" What I'm trying to say if you are going to go all out derp in this department don't touch this shit at all! I am a storyfag but I would rather see a campaign like in W:40000 Dark Crusade than this abortion (amazingly DC did have better plot than SC2).

But hey, since every soccer mum declared that SC2 story is the new shit you can expect moar of it every-fucking-where - regardless of genre. It's like biowhore only to ^20. From now on maybe not each and every rts but most of them will strive to have same levels of tearjearkiness as SC2. I'm sorry but I just can't enjoy the gameplay when in between I have to suffer seeing a soap opera with extra dose of inanity added for good measure.

Do you think you look smart by being so butthurt over it?

Jeez, I though this was a thread about new SC2 outro not about gameplay which is one must agree quite good. That I expressed my disgust with the part that sucks ass plain surely qualifies me as a butthurt nerd and you as a ubermensh cool dude. :roll:

Am I the only one who's not a hopeless nerd here?

:Looks at the url: Thank God, for a moment I thought I strayed into "douchebagcodex.net" What a relief.

Mrowak said:

Yeah, high production costs are obviously a hint of good writing, what else would cost so much? Movies like "Titanic" and "Avatar" surely prove
this.

And these films are universally mocked here at the Codex - your point? That lots of cash does not equal quality? Well that is obvious, but pretty much contradictory to what Blizzard said in their hype. I'm just wandering where all that money went to if not for teh story which was one of the major selling points? Battle net 2.0 maybe - that useless piece of spyware everyone enjoys so much?

With SC2 Blizzard has made their choice. They want to produce popamole bullcrap so be it. But frankly, without somewhat-believeable stories to support their setting all their games become crap in single player. If they don't provide that I'm outa here.

Mrowak said:

That they are silly it's one thing, but from a production standpoint they were still pretty much top quality.

From production standpoint Avatar is pretty much top quality. We don't want to see more films following this trend, do we? No, we'd like to see more of Inception or Matrix (1st one).

I turned my brain off and enjoyed them for what they were.

Me and most Codexers as becoming of the member of a prestigious nerd gaming magazine lack the capacity to "turn our brains off" in the face of bullcrap. This ability is good for plebe who does not make much use of it anyway. Honestly, if you make a habit out of it you might forget to turn it on one day.

Aothan

Magister
practically everything in the clip appears to be deliberately tacky. I suspect the video isn't legitimate, but then.. ah why was it removed from youtube -_-

attackfighter said:
Multidirectional said:
but I did play Starcraft and Broodwar after playing SC2 and being such a non-expert I didn't manage to come across anything severely dumbed down in SC2.

RETARD ALERT

You crack me up little buddy.

The parts you didn't quote went on to say that Blizzard stories are generally shtty and implied that he was referring to the gameple which was all that was wanted anyway.

attackfighter

Magister
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
attackfighter said:
Multidirectional said:
but I did play Starcraft and Broodwar after playing SC2 and being such a non-expert I didn't manage to come across anything severely dumbed down in SC2.

RETARD ALERT

You crack me up little buddy.

The parts you didn't quote went on to say that Blizzard stories are generally shtty and implied that he was referring to the gameple which was all that was wanted anyway.

But the gameplay is repetitive and boring...

Reject_666_6

Arcane
attackfighter said:
Multidirectional said:

RETARD ALERT

Do you realise that you're the only guy on the forum that thinks that SC2, gameplay-wise, is significantly worse than SC1? And I don't mean in terms of unit design, which might actually be understandable, but you seem to hate every goddamn mechanic in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom