Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Here is one thing the DA series does better than ME.

racofer

Thread Incliner
No stupid mini-games. OH HOW I HATE THOSE THINGS!

:x

Jezal_k23

The DA series is better at romance than the ME series is, because there are more choices. That is until ME3 comes around and beats it with the most cinematic romances ever. With whoever you want.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DAO is better in every way than popamole ME. At least DAO tries to be an RPG.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
J_C said:
DAO is shitter in every way than popamole ME. DAO tries and failes to be an RPG.

Fixed. While I agree that DAO>ME1 it's oposite for sequels. Only thing i hated in Me2 was planet scaning while couldnot stand 99% of DA2. :salute: honest popamole>whackamole sold as RPG.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Clockwork Knight said:
Racofer cannot into towers of Hanoi

Bah! Don't even get me started on that shit.

I once had to make a program that simulated a Hanoi tower game with 9 pillars and 800 pieces.

:x

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Ed123 said:
I disagree. ME is much better than DAO since Bioware had already embraced their inner popamole, and succesfully crafted an action game with some solid storyfag/LARPING elements. DAO was a wheezing monstrosity that refused to just lay down and die.

Thats kinda how I see it. The first 15 or so hours of DAO are that of RPG exellence after that its just such a terrible game I cant say Mass Effect or anything is worse. DAO had higher highs. Its lows are down through the earth.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm sorry but the RPC excellence of DAO ended for me as soon as I saw the faces of the human noble origins. Maybe the dorf origins are better because of the giant bushes on dorf faces, but man oh man. Yeah and my rogue's lockpick was soooo useful to get extra 1x mushroom or 1x some other shit hidden behind that door I couldn't unlock in MY OWN FUCKING MANSION* or force open with max strength.

Both series basically suck, but at least ME series suck in an entertaining "can play through" way, unlike that other thing.

*Seriously, shouldn't the PC like have keys to that shit? Or ask for them? And why the fuck would anyone lock one root in a fucking chest anyway? What fucking sort of nobles are these? BG fucking 1 had a Star Sapphire you could lockpick or force lock your way to in the goddamned inn, what is this bullshit?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Angthoron said:
what is this bullshit

Dragon Age Origins is a multifaceted experience that combines the old school gaming tradition of contextless single-use restoratives in random house chests with a stunningly realised dark fantasy setting and modern rpg storytelling mechanics.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You know what else had minigames? Knights of the Old Republic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mini-games themselves aren't bad! Don't be hating on Puzzle Quest.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Metro said:
Mini-games themselves aren't bad!

Bioware needs to match the high calibre of Popcap's, Acromage's and JRPG cardgame designers to be able to provide an actual diversion. Instead they give the western rpg elite gaming community with padded out reflex, memory or logic dreck that would have been thrown out of newgrounds for being bullshit beginner quality submissions.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think on a moment-by-moment basis, Dragon Age is more fun to play than the first Mass Effect. Not only is the combat significantly better when it's not being wasted on filler, but the exploration is a bit more rewarding, it's possible to stumble upon more side-quests, there's more people to talk to, etc. Mass Effect, even in towns, still largely feels like a corridor shooter following a linear point A to point B, even more so in Mass Effect 2 where everything is laid out almost perfectly for you.

Dragon Age definitely has its lows and the story goes absolutely fucking nowhere despite having a good deal of potential in the lore (which Mass Effect makes far better use of), but when so much of Mass Effect is just spent either mowing down the same 3 enemies over and over or just walking around the Citadel (or, even worse, using the Mako), I'd frankly much rather spend my time on Dragon Age.

Mass Effect 2, on the other hand... despite even more derp than both combined, at least it has a certain forward momentum that both games lack, and I think ultimately that really helps it rise above both. That said, the stupidity of the story coupled with even less choice and consequence gives me considerably less reason to replay it than the other two.

sgc_meltdown said:
Metro said:
Mini-games themselves aren't bad!

Bioware needs to match the high calibre of Popcap's, Acromage's and JRPG cardgame designers to be able to provide an actual diversion. Instead they give the western rpg elite gaming community with padded out reflex, memory or logic dreck that would have been thrown out of newgrounds for being bullshit beginner quality submissions.

speaking of matching jrpgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1r68IAjP9E

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I liked the ME2 mini-game's (except the retarded mining). :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom