Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Harthwain

Magister
Wanting to play a game set in the Harry Potter world but without Hogwarts or teen wizards is ridiculous. That's the whole reason the setting exists.

What's next? I want to play a game in the world of Ghostbusters, only the protagonist isn't in the Ghostbusters and doesn't fight or encounter ghosts in the game. He's a CIA agent trying to infiltrate a Columbian drug cartel. But in the world of Ghostbusters.
Hogwarts AND teen wizards only make sense, true, but you could play as an adult wizard in the wizard world. Maybe even with the mechanic that you have to keep your supernatural activities hidden/secret from the normies.

Not gonna lie, I am very hyped despite all oddities. This game is what I wanted since the PS1 Harry Potter games.
GRYFFINDOR = protagonists
others = npcs
btw.

Xelocix

Learned
vaush-soy.gif

OH MY GAWD GUYS, FINALLY A HARRY POTTER RPG!! I CAN FINALLY RELIVE HIGHSCHOOL WITHOUT THOSE OBNOXIOUS BULLIES!! THIS GAME LOOKS SO DIVERSE TOO, I HOPE THERE'S A TRANS TEACHER!! THIS IS THE BEST THING SINCE RICK AND MORTY AND GAME OF THRONES!!

Technomancer

Liturgist
All you dudes going for that school nostalgia though, you lot played Bully?
For sure, that's the main appeal of this game for me actually. Coz I don't care much for HP. But all those dormitories and bullworth heraldies felt so cozy. Its pretty clear at this point we are never getting game 2, not the one we were supposed to have in any case.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
vaush-soy.gif

OH MY GAWD GUYS, FINALLY A HARRY POTTER RPG!! I CAN FINALLY RELIVE HIGHSCHOOL WITHOUT THOSE OBNOXIOUS BULLIES!! THIS GAME LOOKS SO DIVERSE TOO, I HOPE THERE'S A TRANS TEACHER!! THIS IS THE BEST THING SINCE RICK AND MORTY AND GAME OF THRONES!!
Who would do such a thing, peddle cringe to the Codex?

Hell yes, brother! Both the ps2 and once I saw it on sale I got the PC version as well a few years later. Bullworth Town felt stupidly alive, even if there were like 90 different NPC's walking around. At least they felt more alive than Oblivion. I would have liked more mandatory school activities for Bully because I passed all classes and then started doing missions.

I don't really care about gobbo revolutions, dark ones rising or the end of the world. I don't give a damn if Voldemort decides to go all final solution on the muggles as long as the Hogwarts Express runs on time. I just want a comfy boarding school game and a world to get lost in. if by the end of my 100 hour adventure I can give Jon Irenicus a run for his money that's just the cherry on top but in my head I want to start as a 12 year old noob and after 7 years gradually become Chad Thundercock. I don't want a revenge of the Nerds plot, or the Harry Potter plot armor. Just give me the chance to become Joneleth on my own or have a 10,000 galleon bounty on my head.

Taurist

Scholar
Watched a little of the showcase. They were talking about exploring the open world and "exploring runes" to "increasee your inventory".
This that no human being pelaying a Harry Potter game wants to do.
I dont think this will be like Bully, or the PS1 games. It sounds like nu-Asscreed openworld garbage actually. Wandering around the Highlands sounds like expulsion worthy behavior.

Delterius

Arcane
For sure, that's the main appeal of this game for me actually. Coz I don't care much for HP. But all those dormitories and bullworth heraldies felt so cozy. Its pretty clear at this point we are never getting game 2, not the one we were supposed to have in any case.
wait i thought this wasn't actually gonna be like bully. more of an ubisoft spectacle game

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I took a gander at the game's site.

Q: Does Hogwarts Legacy require an internet connection?
A: Those who purchase a physical copy of Hogwarts Legacy will be required to connect to the internet to install a Day 1 patch. Those who purchase the game digitally will receive the patch with the initial download.

:lol:

laclongquan

Arcane
Hogwarts itself is marketable as a setting for a game. Are there any non-Hogwarts locations that have the same appeal? The Ministry of Magic maybe ?
Not suggesting to abruptly remove it, just gradually move it from central stage. Game by game. Like how old is mc in game 1? In hypothetical sequel, he could be in his final school years. That's usually when dark shit starts to happen more often. Graduate, fight some big bad. Or if you are evil yourself, work to replace antagonist as a more dangerous threat. Could raise the stakes, make the story more mature, dramatic.
Problem is, in 7 books Hogwarts is absolutely center of that world. Other places outside are barely existent, at all. the Ministry is barely registered on our perception. Or London, or Weasley's village/cottage. The second place to Hogwarts would be Knockturn Alley.

You try to develop anything, anything at all, outside of Hogwarts and it is non-canon as far as fans consider it~

laclongquan

Arcane
No no. What I mean is that it's high cost to develop anything outside of Hogwarts.

And if you succeed, why not register it as a separate IP linked to Hogwarts? In which case it's no longer Hogwart-ish, which defeat the purpose of using this IP.

Because face it, anything inside Hogwart can be found in other IP, or develop into something similarly newer.

Hogwarts by now has evolved into something of a closed world outside of even Rowling's efforts. If she want to develop something new in that universe, she is going to have to write several new books (or cooperate in new games) to achieve that. Which she has proved that she can not, in both the new series, and the old Fantastic Beast movie.

Kinda like Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes.

Technomancer

Liturgist
And if you succeed, why not register it as a separate IP linked to Hogwarts? In which case it's no longer Hogwart-ish, which defeat the purpose of using this IP.
You could do it over time. First use the recognizable IP to build a fan base and make a name for yourself. Then by game III move over to more customized extended universe stuff relying on your reputation. Tho probably unlikely in any case, suits who order shit at top love their fucking brands.

Harthwain

Magister
Problem is, in 7 books Hogwarts is absolutely center of that world. Other places outside are barely existent, at all. the Ministry is barely registered on our perception. Or London, or Weasley's village/cottage. The second place to Hogwarts would be Knockturn Alley.
I don't agree - Hogwarts is obviously the center of the world, but that's because the books revolve around a boy who is a student there. That said, we're given enough material to see there is a whole magic world out there. We don't get to see too much of it, because Harry has no reason to go to outside the school.

No no. What I mean is that it's high cost to develop anything outside of Hogwarts.

The strong point of an IP is that people want to see stuff set in that IP. That's pretty much it.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
If you want Harry Potter without Hogwarts, you're basically asking for urban fantasy, for which there are other IPs. The primary conceit of the series is the academic setting - a traditional English boarding school, but you're a wizard!

AliceAlcina

Learned
Theoretically Harry Potter is part of popular boarding school genres which kind of died out in 90s, that's why you see Harry compared to Lord of the Rings or Hobbit - they were popular at the time, so it made sense to promote these as Lord of the Rings instead of genre nobody outside UK heard of.

ADL

Prophet
I haven't seen any of the new prequel spinoffs but from what I vaguely remember in the movies, there was the London shopping area for wizards in the first movie that was pretty cool, Azkaban prison, the ministry of magic and the uninhabited English countryside where certain wizards lived in isolation. That's pretty much it across seven books worth of material.

Fortunately for them, Hogwarts can change quite a bit for another game but yeah they're gonna have a difficult time expanding for the sequel since Azkaban and the Ministry of Magic are a dungeon at best. Doubt this would ever happen without additional books/movies doing the heavy lifting but there are other schools they could cover.
  1. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Scotland)
  2. Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (France)
  3. Castelobruxo (Central Brazil)
  4. Durmstrang Institute (Northern Europe)
  5. Ilvermorny (Eastern North America)
  6. Mahoutokoro School of Magic (Japan)
  7. Uagadou School of Magic (Uganda)
  8. Koldovstoretz (Russia) – Not on the map
https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/wizarding-schools

No New Orleans school of VooDoo magic? No Seattle school of amerindian totemic magic? No new England school of Eldricht Abomination Sorcery? No Mexican school of blood magic? No Egyptian school of necromancy?
The list you have shared is true but I don't see any difference of either of those schools and Hogwarts. It is the same when Rowling decided to write Fantastic Beasts in the US. She has the quintesential mindset of someone of her generation where the only path in life was: boarding school to government job to grave. Every mage goes to Hogwarts and then works for the Ministry or another desk job. At most you can see some craftsmen in Diagon alley.

What I'm trying to say is that you could set your harry potter game anywhere in the world and it wouldn't change much because in Rowling's world there is not much difference between an anglo wizard from a chineese wizard. That's why it's better to stick to locales that are already decribed in the stories. And if you want to go nuts you can make a DLC where you stage an Azkaban prison break.

Funposter

Arcane
I haven't seen any of the new prequel spinoffs but from what I vaguely remember in the movies, there was the London shopping area for wizards in the first movie that was pretty cool, Azkaban prison, the ministry of magic and the uninhabited English countryside where certain wizards lived in isolation. That's pretty much it across seven books worth of material.

Fortunately for them, Hogwarts can change quite a bit for another game but yeah they're gonna have a difficult time expanding for the sequel since Azkaban and the Ministry of Magic are a dungeon at best. Doubt this would ever happen without additional books/movies doing the heavy lifting but there are other schools they could cover.
  1. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Scotland)
  2. Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (France)
  3. Castelobruxo (Central Brazil)
  4. Durmstrang Institute (Northern Europe)
  5. Ilvermorny (Eastern North America)
  6. Mahoutokoro School of Magic (Japan)
  7. Uagadou School of Magic (Uganda)
  8. Koldovstoretz (Russia) – Not on the map
https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/wizarding-schools
Diaogn Alley is the shopping district and there's also the smaller, connected Knockturn Alley, which is basically a grimy, dark-arts alternative. There's probably some gameplay potential there for letting people play as dark wizards (doubtful it would ever happen) or even just having some fun encounters if the player takes a wrong turn while shopping. Exporing the other schools is probably a bad idea, tbh. Apart from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, the world building for other schools really comes across as completely retarded. You could MAYBE get away with doing the American school if you played up the new world aspect, maybe having the game take place in the 1800s or the turn of the century.

Actually, having just googled those new movies that I never watched, the first one takes place in New York City in 1926. I was thinking a BIT earlier, but that sort of covers that idea.

It is the same when Rowling decided to write Fantastic Beasts in the US. She has the quintesential mindset of someone of her generation where the only path in life was: boarding school to government job to grave. Every mage goes to Hogwarts and then works for the Ministry or another desk job. At most you can see some craftsmen in Diagon alley.
I maintain that this is part of the charm of the series. I read the Bartimaeus Trilogy as a kid, which basically takes place in an alternative history version of England where society is run by an oligarchy of magicians who summon demons to do their bidding. Again, the main conceit of those books is that you ARE dealing with a character who is trying to grind their way up through a bureaucratic society and break into the senior ranks of government. A fourth book was eventually written that dealt with one of the main POV characters (titual Djinn, Bartimaeus) and shifted the setting to the reign of King Solomon in Jerusalem, 950 BC. I had zero desire to revisit the series and read that book, because dealing with weird desert magic mumbo jumbo is nowhere near as interesting as the question, "what if bureaucrats summoned demons to do all of their dirty work for them?"

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"I loooove 'Arry Potter" and "I haaaaate Rowling" causes so much dissonance it breaks their brains even more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom