Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - prequel from ex-Relic devs

circ

Arcane
OH YE RECTUMS OF LITTLE FAITH.

THIS IS GOING TO BE HUEG.

BBL. MASTURBATING FURIOUSLY.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Look at all the little faggots giving blowjobs to makers of mediocre game...are you done ? Good. Now wipe your mouths and fuck off.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Multiplayer"

3204840swsw.gif

:D :D :D

FeelTheRads

Arcane
BETA UPDATE: We've just rolled out the HARDWARE: Shipbreakers VIP Package! There are 10,000 VIP Packages available. Act now! We're also excited to let you know that we've launched the pre-sale of an in-fiction and game play guide for HARDWARE: Shipbreakers! This in-fiction resource is your definitive guide to life on planet LM-27.

The low down: This is a living interactive product that constantly evolves over the lifetime of the game. It is also the only place right now, to learn the back story on game characters, check out the interactive unit catalog and plan your strategies. This is your chance to get an early start on the ‘gold rush’ on LM-27 before the game is released!

So to recap, there are two opportunities to be involved:
1) Join the VIP Group. (Guide is included)
2) Purchase a Prospector's Guide.

All beta applications will be considered, but the only way to secure your spot in the HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Closed Beta is by becoming a VIP! Find out more...

Looks like they hired the monetization designer and he's hard at work. :troll:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a new sci-fi RTS from the makers of Homeworld, which for me it means that is something in the veins of Uprising or Battlezone. Or something completely shit. Anyway, the real information is scarce, but there are some teaser episodes and a website for the beta.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Actual info about the game's feature set is awfully sparse, even for an alpha version. The teaser trailers and a few vague blurbs are really all there is. Apparently, you've got to fork over a minimum of $50 for the "Game Guide" (yet to be released) to get any substantial information. The visual design and concept of the game are quite intriguing, though.

According to the FAQ, the final game will follow a F2P model.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Hardware Shipbreakers" sounds like a Discovery Channel show :)

The game itself could be interesting, hard to say much at this point.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's about mining stuff, the problem would be if it would be multiplayer only.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First gameplay video.

And the big RTS revolution is just a rehash of Uprising, BattleZone or Ground Control ... with a Homeworld vibe.

* I assume that the broken ships will play the role of the scarce resources. And perhaps the available human crew will be limited as well.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is to early to tell, but a new RTS with a homeworld wibe is not a bad thing in my book.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
I was watching this third video and i was thinking to myself: damn, this music sounds like it was made by Paul Ruskay. Quick check in Google and the truth is revealed to me. It is Paul Ruskay work! Awesome. :)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/05/hardware-shipbreakers-versus-dota-lol/

Hardware: Shipbreakers developer plans to carve out market next to League of Legend

“It’s competitive in the RTS space,” said Irish. “Competing with StarCraft 2 and League of Legends presents a very challenging set of circumstances — but we see it a bit differently.”

Irish says that Blackbird doesn’t look at StarCraft 2, League of Legends, and Dota 2 as direct competition. Instead, these games have proven the wider strategy genre works and blazed a trail for games that strike a similar, but slightly different, nerve.

Hardware is ostensibly a hard sci-fi strategy game that has crews of roughnecks scavenging ancient ships on a desert planet. The conflict occurs when two different crews are vying for the same wreckage. Aliens might get involved at some point — Irish wouldn’t let us in on that secret — but it’s all human-on-human combat from what we’ve seen so far.

“Our gameplay is unlike either of those games, but we want to include inspirations from them,” said Irish. “In terms of community support, the quality of the player experience, and the free-to-play model.”

Like League of Legends, Hardware is free for everyone. Irish credits that title with legitimizing that business model for hardcore gamers.

“You know, they took inspiration from Warcraft and the Defense of the Ancient maps and created an entirely new business that opened up the free-to-play space for the rest of us,” said Irish. “It verifies that there is demand for these types of strategy games in the free-to-play model.”

“We’re taking the inspiration of Homeworld and focusing on how we can open that style of gaming just like League of Legends did for the DOTA players,” said Irish. “Our fan base is probably smaller, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t passionate. We’re looking at RTS players as an overall smaller group but each individual has a higher life-time value.”

Like Dota 2 and League of Legends, Irish wants Hardware to work as an e-sports title. It’s designed as a competitive title. It’s plot works with the idea that various human factions are fighting over the same resources, but it will also have a single-player campaign. Blackbird doesn’t want to leave anyone out.

“The game has a player-versus-everyone experience, which players are going to love because it is going to story drive,” said Irish. “Then of course there is going to be a competitive player-versus-player experience. The way the gameplay works, story is going to unveil key gameplay elements. You’re going to want to try both modes.”

Blackbird is planning years worth of story for Hardware. The studio also says it wants to convey that plot through gameplay, but Irish wasn’t ready to talk about how they’re going to do that.

Oesophagus

Arcane
I was watching this third video and i was thinking to myself: damn, this music sounds like it was made by Paul Ruskay. Quick check in Google and the truth is revealed to me. It is Paul Ruskay work! Awesome. :)

If nothing else, at least we'll get some good music out of this.

And I'm not a moba fan at all, so if this doesn't have a decent SP campaign, then meh

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

If nothing else, at least we'll get some good music out of this.

And I'm not a moba fan at all, so if this doesn't have a decent SP campaign, then meh

It is not a MOBA it is a free to play RTS

himmy

Arcane
http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/1/4684456/gearbox-homeworld-ip-hardware-shipbreakers

Gearbox lends Homeworld IP to spiritual successor Hardware: Shipbreakers developer

Hardware: Shipbreakers, the spiritual successor to the Homeworld franchise being developed by founding members of Relic Entertainment, is now, thanks to Gearbox Software, officially a Homeworld game.

The game will now be titled Homeworld: Shipbreakers as part of a deal signed by Gearbox and developer Blackbird Interactive at PAX. What's more, Gearbox Software will help Blackbird complete the game with the help of financial and production resources, CEO Randy Pitchford told Polygon today.

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Pitchford said. "We're giving them the brand and the resources to make this happen. Now, these guys are cooking and with the money they have now, they can grow the team."

The deal, Pitchford said, was signed last Wednesday during PAX Dev, a developer-only event that precedes PAX Prime.

The game formerly known as Hardware: Shipbreakers was announced earlier this year as a spiritual successor — structured as a prequel, however — to Relic's Homeworld franchise.

"Hardware and Homeworld inevitably share much of the same DNA, and that's a good thing," Blackbird CEO Rob Cunningham said at the time. "Homeworld was a fantastic game and we want to recapture that. But what we're offering with Hardware is really a different kind of RTS experience that isn't found in Homeworldor any other RTS."

"Hardware, in all respects, was Homeworld," Cunningham told Polygon today. "It looked, sounded and felt the same, but we wanted to take that style and experience further. When [Gearbox] acquired the property, it coincided with when we needed to find a partner."

Gearbox acquired the Homeworld property as part of THQ's bankruptcy auction in May with a $1.35 million bid. Blackbird also competed for the IP, but lost to Gearbox.

"We wanted the project to live and thrive and grow," said Blackbird chief creative officer Aaron Kambeitz. "We didn't want it to go to a publisher that would let it die.We reached out to them and congratulated them on [winning the IP] and that turned into a friendship."

Now, with Gearbox's contribution, Blackbird will expand its team — it's currently hiring — and develop the game as if it were an entry in the Homeworld series. "The retcons to bring the two brands together will be painless," Kambeitz said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom