Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you treat your hardware?

Ghoulem

Erudite
You guys couldn't even go 1 page without pasting a man's asshole?

madbringer

Arcane
I treat my stuff pretty well. Worst i did was punch my PC's chassis when the fucker hang up one me while removing tags from 15k mp3 files. :roll:

Hey guys, try turning your keyboards upside down and shaking, you can find all sorts of interesting stuff!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Never broke anything out of frustration or anger. I did break a couple of joysticks while playing though. One was during a particularly heated game of Mortak Kombat, and then I broke my thrusty Thrustmaster while playing... don't remember what game. And I only broke one of the springs inside it, they were easy to replace.

Frau Bishop said:
When I was young I broke a Competition Pro. With a steel saw.
It took some time, but I was very angry. And it was a just cause.
Nowadays I'm a good ruler, no cruel punishment anymore. Vaccuming the fans every month has to be enough combined with some manual dusting.

Hmmm. I was looking for related pics just for the sake of it and I found this.
NSFW possibly, so just a link:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7849/hoover.jpg

Is he doing it wrong? It looks somehow different.

43-emot-goatse.gif
BRO!!!!

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
As a child/adolescent, my consoles would often bear the brunt of my tantrums in a spectacular manner. I'm actually very mild mannered in fleshspace these days though thankfully, and I certainly can't remember the last time I actually got angry at a piece of fucking hardware for crying out loud.

In my earlier years though...

A minor offense would necessitate giving the console a single good whack with the controller. A warning for what was to follow should it continue to misbehave with it's horrendous 'cheating.' Repeat offenses would warrant increasingly harder whacks.

However, sometimes I became a little more fed up with the insidious funbox's diabolic and devious shit. The scene would usually play out with me tearing the game out while the console was still powered, throwing it as hard as possible against the nearest hard surface, wailing on the console as hard as I could with the controller, and then lifting the console and throwing it across the room. If I was in the throws of the Wyrm, this would often be followed by my kicking the console around like a soccer ball whilst shouting curses and screaming, 'I OWN YOU, YOU UTTERLY MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT, I CAN END YOU!'

Usually after such a stir I would settle down and apologize profusely to the poor thing. Telling it that if it would only behave better in the future we could avoid this sort incident altogether. I was a rather upset kid...

Now, as I got a little older I became mildly more coherent at expressing my rage and at least had the mental wherewithal to blame the game itself. Now, I hadn't quite figured out that these evil 'game developer' people were to blame for all of my worries just yet, but I was getting a little closer. If a game had earned my ire in a spectacular manner, I would usually contrive some awful fate for it. Incineration, crushing, blowing up with fireworks, and dashing onto the bricked driveway from the top of my house were the most common methods used to execute the sentence.

While I've cursed PCs in the past, I never was particularly abusive of them for some reason. I guess in my own inchoate way I was able to discern the difference in poor game design and me sucking. PC games at the time tended to be better designed than most console games and therefore I just got less upset. It's a good thing that I found the prestigious RPGCodex so I can ramble furiously with the rest of my maladjusted brethren about the injustices wrought upon us by the vidya games in a properly matured manner.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
ghostdog said:
But how do you treat your ferrets ?

Pretty good too, and that's why I finally managed to move my computer out of their way. Now I can treat both my hardware and ferrets very well while they can't hurt each other.

spectre

Arcane
I also remember breaking (as in, physically, literally in two) two Atari XL/XE joystics, one after another. First met its demise thanks to river raid, second went down on Moon Patrol. Good times.

Ghoulem

Erudite
My aforementioned friend and I played some DOTA last night and he wrecked his mouse in a sudden burst of anger. Now his scroll-button doesn't work. Are any of you guys still using some of your damaged equipment? I used a keyboard with a spacebar that only worked on the left side for some years.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Ghoulem said:
Are any of you guys still using some of your damaged equipment? I used a keyboard with a spacebar that only worked on the left side for some years.

I had the same case. Rampage smashing for hits in mmo did that. Good times.

Also, i have thing for cables. Most recently I broke one from my headset, by rushly and carelessly standing up.

denizsi

Arcane
In my psychotic years of being a elementary stud, I used to talk to the tape driver (later replaced with a diskette driver) of my C64, threatening to break it unless it read the tape/diskette properly, and smashing at it to show how serious I am. A game getting stuck at loading and trying over was such a nerve wrecking experience.

With the latter, I eventually figured something must have been getting back into its place when I hit the driver, so I started fiddling with the mechanical parts inside the case and found out I only needed to intervene with a gentle teach touch whenever a loading process seemed to get stuck.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh boy, Track & Field and the other sports games - death of C64 joysticks! The fucking 1500m run was murder on wrists and sticks. But I haven't went :rage: at my PC, no sir!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wouldn't the more appropiate option be to cut yourself or something? You can't stop the console from beating you, but you can teach yourself from dying to that stupid fireball if you slice your arm whenever you fail.

Rhalle

Magister
I totally smashed my keyboard in a fit of nerd rage once, a few years ago, when I was experimenting with letting whatever emotion I would have just break out.

It was cathartic, I guess.

The worst part was cleaning it up; those keys go everywhere.

Nickless

Educated
I do not engage in anthropomorphism. My computer is out of date, and probably should have had a hardware failure over the eight years that I've had it, the only thing that's failed was the graphics card I installed seven years ago, and then only last year. The computer's filled with dust that I can't be bothered vacuuming out.

ChristofferC

Magister
I handle my hardware with care. Sometimes I whack the mouse against the mouse pad, but not very hard.

desocupado

Magister
Nickless said:
I do not engage in anthropomorphism. My computer is out of date, and probably should have had a hardware failure over the eight years that I've had it, the only thing that's failed was the graphics card I installed seven years ago, and then only last year. The computer's filled with dust that I can't be bothered vacuuming out.

Fuck... 8 years? I have a fucking piece of this crap failing me every six months... Shit, less than that.

8 years without having to worry "What the hell broke this time? How am I gonna move this brick to the fixer, and more importantly, WHAT THE FUCK AM I GONNA DO DURING THE TIME IT TAKES TO FIX IT (I do everything on the pc, there's no tv nor radio or books here)?"

That's a fucking dream.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
I used to smash up keyboards and joysticks. I'd squeeze control pads to breaking point. That was when I was young, now I'm all grown up I have some self-restraint. That's not to say that I do not get angry at games anymore, oh no no no... I get very, very angry - I just vent my anger verbally nowadays, so that there's no danger of breaking anything.

"You fucking lucky cunt!"
"What the fuck was that you fucking worthless piece of shit"
"Fucking cunting shitty wanking pussy faggot snipers"

Just a few of the exclamations you might hear when I'm playing a game such as BFBC2 if you happen to be nearby. FIFA has similar results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom