Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How good is Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion on the PC with...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
...the over haul mods? How much of a difference do the mods make for the game? Do they make it more enjoyable.

Saxon1974

Prophet
DragoFireheart said:
...the over haul mods? How much of a difference do the mods make for the game? Do they make it more enjoyable.

I assume you did a Search? This has been discussed ALOT.

I thought it was pretty good fun once I installed FCOM: Convergence Mod. It adds 3 or 4 mods that make gameplay changes and adds some more interesting dungeons.

IT's still not as good as Daggerfall or Morrowind but its playable with that MOD I think.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The game is perfectly tailored for complete fucking dumbfucks like you DragoFireheart. Enjoy.

DragoFireheart

Jaesun said:
The game is perfectly tailored for complete fucking dumbfucks like you DragoFireheart. Enjoy.

Stop being a cunt. I was merely curious about how much of an impact

Multi-headed Cow

It's pretty good with FCOM and "Deadly Reflex" to turn it into a first person action RPG choppathon.

DragoFireheart

So basically a first person Diablo 2 with a physics engine and a skill system? Doesn't sound too bad. I might try it out.

Multi-headed Cow

Not reeeeeeally D2. But there's certainly more difficulty in the fights, and more variety in the loot. Makes dungeon crawling more entertaining.

Multi-headed Cow

BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T BUY IT WHEN IT WAS ON SALE ON STEAM DURING THE WINTER SALE BECAUSE IT HAS SECUROM AND NOW THAT THE GAME SOUNDS FUN YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR A GAME WITH SECUROM ON IT SO YOU WAIT FOR IT TO GO ON SALE AGAIN SO YOU CAN JOIN ALL THE BROFUL ENTERTAINMENT AND TRY TO PASS THE TIME WITH MODDED OBLIVION EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T REALLY SATISFY YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE LIFE IS A SHAME AND YOU SHOULD REALLY JUST END IT NOW BUT YOU STILL HAVE DIVINITY 2 TO HANG ON TO, EVENTUALLY, DIVINITY 2 WILL SHOW UP AND MAKE THIS ALL WORTHWHILE BUT WHEN WILL IT GO ON SALE AGAIN AND WHEN IT DOES WILL YOU EVEN NOTICE OR WILL YOU BE IN TOO MUCH OF A STUPOR FROM YOUR HORRIBLE DAY TO DAY LIFE TO EVEN NOTICE AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU MISSED IT YOUR ONE RAY OF SUNSHINE IN THE BLEAK SHITFIELDS OF YOUR LIFE OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BRING THIS UP I FEEL FUCKING AWFUL NOW

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Multi-headed Cow said:
But there's certainly more difficulty in the fights,

Only if you're a lobotomy patient. Oblivion is harder than vanilla morrowind, but that's not saying much. D2 is heavily dependent on gear at its hardest moments, gear that most people can't get. In Oblivion OTOH getting items powerful enough to plow through anything is pretty trivial.

Multi-headed is talking about Oblivion + FCOM.

And Vanilla Oblivion above level 16 is brutal, albeit for the wrong reasons - Drog was right...I was playing VanillaOb (on normal difficulty) the other day on my brother's xbox and my level 19 Orc warrior (Heavy Armor is like 75, could be 80) gets his ebony armor suit totaled every time I get into a dungeon.

Of course, I'm not doing that efficient leveling autistic shit and I'm avoiding going after the cheesey rewards like Azura's Star and Spellbreaker, nor am I making Drain Health 300 for 1 sec spells, so I imagine it could be easier if I wanted to.

Multi-headed Cow

+ Deadly Reflex (Can't remember if that's included in FCOM by default, I know I had it in my FCOM game though). First bandits I attacked out of the tutorial sewer knocked me over and then did a coup de grace on my head with a warhammer. On the bright side, I was occasionally able to pull off some sneak attack bullshit that would behead an enemy instantly.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
With the right mods Oblivion can be an extremely good and very immersive game.
Unfiortunately, if you want the game to run smoothly with lots of mods, you'll spend more time preparing, tweaking, discussing and upgrading the mods than actually playing the game. But then, some people enjoy tinkering with their cars more than actually driving them.

Anyway, I got about 750 hours out of my 400 mods game and it was definitely one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences since I started playing CRPGs in the early 80s. And even after 750 hours my character was only lvl 21, had not started the Main Quest and was two or three ranks away from being leader of the Thieves and Mages Guild.

I recommend basing modded Oblivion on Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, since it fixes and balances so many things, and also adds lots of new items, several quests and dungeons and adds lots and lots of little touches to vanilla areas to make the game more immersive.

Ruprekt

Scholar
It's the best real-tme-3d roguelike-alike.

Of course you could just play a real roguelike without the 3d tits.

@@

- Today from TesNexus

You can be a stripper and get paid for your dancing. The more items of clothing are removed, the more money you recieve from your audience.
You can dance anywhere and at any time you like by simply pressing the N key for about 1 second.

:bounce: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37118 :bounce:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The only reason you'll ever want Oblivion installed on your PC is because it is a requirement to play

nehrimlogoexpressen01.png

Multi-headed Cow

After I learned you could bludgeon the controls in Daggerfall into something resembling modern TES I'm thinking about giving it a whirl. Any protips for a Daggerfall virgin? Any romances? Any first person prostitution animation mods so I can see argonians going down on me?

If I do go for it, gonna be using http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?ti ... llSetup_EN which I got the link from the Codex.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hobo Elf said:
The only reason you'll ever want Oblivion installed on your PC is because it is a requirement to play

nehrimlogoexpressen01.png

Unfortunately it still uses the shitty Oblivion engine. Much like how NV fails at greatness because it is trapped in the Fallout 3 engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom