Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How is DoW2, single player?

Lockkaliber said:
Yup, what SV wrote. The first DoW always came down to retarded techrush. DoW2 instead focuses on small squads and strategic troopmovement/placement. The gameplay is much better than DoW and more true to the tabletop experience, if you actually care about the game beyond being a lore-tard.

So, basically, DoW2's shit stinks just a bit less then DoW. Its still shit though.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
DoW 2 stays true to the old Warhammer formula seen in Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned rat... well, with modifications obviously.

:shock: Tell me you are trolling please.

If you had half a brain in that skull of yours you'd know that I am speaking of a "proper" emulation of the tabletop game instead of a shitty Red Alert clone.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Biggest RTS disappointment in ages for me because the SP was just shit. Just two kinds of missions that felt more like mmo grinding that actually playing a fun campaign. Shit.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
If you had half a brain in that skull of yours you'd know that I am speaking of a "proper" emulation of the tabletop game instead of a shitty Red Alert clone.

i dont really care about your hate for DoW1 SP which is pretty crappy too - point is that DoW2 certainly is NOTHING like DO/SOTHR which i imagine you never played to come up with such obvious bullshit nor is it "proper emulation" of TT. i realize to get 2000 posts in less than a year you have to write shittons of stupid bullshit but you re hitting a new low even for the codex here kid.

I write a lot of bullshit when I'm bored, but I like to think that I can add to a discussion whenever I feel like it... but I digress.

I have played both those games when I was a kid, and again a couple of months ago, and sure DoW2 isn't exactly like them but it comes pretty fucking close, as close as you can get in a "modern" gaming world. Fuck, I'm just happy if they manage to transfer as many aspects from the tabletop to the game as possible, besides 40k is shit when compared to regular Warhammer.

So to sum things up: DO and SOTHR transfered the tabletop rules to a pc game quite well, and so does DoW2... but it could be better, and if you actually read what I've written down here you'd know that I'm not wholly satisfied with the vanilla game, but I choose to be optimistic about Chaos Rising since they seem to have fixed certain aspects of the game which were just plain shite.

Oh, and again: My post count is nothing to what some of the other newfags have managed to churn out so... yeah.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I have played both FO games when I was a kid, and again a couple of months ago, and sure FO3 isn't exactly like them but it comes pretty fucking close, as close as you can get in a "modern" gaming world. Fuck, I'm just happy if they manage to transfer as many aspects from the originals to the new game as possible.
Hurr, hurr, derp, derp.
Just to give you an impression why Rico finds your statement stupid.

And now spend another 10 posts explaining why DoW2 is nothing like Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat and we might forgive you.

It's nothing like DO and Shadow of the Horned Rat because it's 40k, and 40k stopped being awesome after Final Liberation.

I dislike DoW2's campaign, but it was way more fun then the shite they forced down our throats in the first series of DoW games.

It's a shame Mark of Chaos was shite, otherwise I might've played that more than I did DoW2.

deshields538

Scholar
Wait for Chaos Rising. I found the campaign reasonably enjoyable on Captain difficulty when playing the main missions that didn't involve fighting through some mobs and fighting a boss at the end. The defense missions started to get annoying later too through boredom the first time I played through it. The second time I played (several months and a couple of patches later) the defense missions against nids became impossible because of the number of warriors with venom cannons they throw at you. I might just be shit at this game but whatever.

It was the missions like Angel Gate and the Final Battle that I actually really enjoyed. If Chaos Rising makes almost every mission as enjoyable then it shouldn't be that bad at all. Chaos being the big baddies this time should also make for a better story as well as some actual banter. DoW2's story was basically "The Hive Fleet is coming! O noes!" and it got boring as fuck very quickly.

Quilty

Magister
I dislike RTSs where you build bases and churn out troops, so I was surprised to see DOW2 go into a different direction. The missions suck some serious ass, but the action is brilliantly visceral and I loved the lines like the aforementioned "Show me what passes for fury etc." I recommend you play the Last Stand with a buddy and see how that goes.

Overall, DoW2 and Men of War were the RTSs I've enjoyed the most over the past few months. Still waiting for a new proper turn-based WH40K game, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom