Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment How many times have you finished Planescape: Torment?

How many times have you finished Planescape: Torment?

• Never played it.

• Never finished it.

• Once

• Twice

• Thrice

• Quadrice

• Five times!

• Six times!!

• Seven times!!!

• Eight!!!!

• Nine!!!!!

• Ten or more times

• kingcomrade option, you philistine

Results are only viewable after voting.

Beans00

Augur
Twice, once in 2006 or 2007, once in 2020 or 21

Tried it a few times when I was younger before 2006. I got it bundled with a crappy game called soulbringer at walmart. Bit too wordy and slow for a 10-12 year old, I never made it past the dead nations before 06. Tried it once or twice between both play throughs but never made it far.

I like the game but I don't find it has much replayability compared to other favorite crpg's of mine.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That Dead Nations and Catacombs area was the highlight for me, yeah. I lost interest when I got into some city area and I had to listen to everybody's life story that just didn't want to end. Seemed like a bad, overly wordy adventure game to me, minus the good puzzles. Or some poorly written fantasy book that I would abort after the second chapter. So, not much.

Kinda reminds me of Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I had to hard abort it after like 30 pages in because of the constant random infodumps. It just felt like a chore to wade through his really bad writing.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
No shame in admitting that i have used a walkthrough in order to skip through the boring parts as fast as possible. Sigil's quests often feature annoying backtracking and there is surprising amount of filler dialog that repeats the same information over and over again.
Still, i liked the characters a lot and Annah is a best girl.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Never. The game kept crashing when I reached the Fortress of Regrets, and the gameplay is too poor to keep my attention for more than a couple of hours on subsequent attempts over the years. I read a walkthrough and didn't feel like I missed out on anything.

Covenant

Savant
That Dead Nations and Catacombs area was the highlight for me, yeah. I lost interest when I got into some city area and I had to listen to everybody's life story that just didn't want to end. Seemed like a bad, overly wordy adventure game to me, minus the good puzzles. Or some poorly written fantasy book that I would abort after the second chapter. So, not much.

Kinda reminds me of Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I had to hard abort it after like 30 pages in because of the constant random infodumps. It just felt like a chore to wade through his really bad writing.

I wonder if this is a common exit point, because I started two playthroughs many years apart, and I abandoned both not long after you get Morte back following breaking out into wider city area (which seems to be the bit you're referring to).

I get that it's a sacred cow to many here, but to me, a conga line of thirty or so NPCs who all want to have long conversations about philosophy, cosmology, and the organisational structure of their various factions is just boring. Give me a boss battle and some pressure plate puzzles any day of the week.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Exactly Covenant, that's spot-on. It felt overwhelming to talk to all those NPCs, and frankly most of it was just infodumps. It was like having to do doing homework, but you have better plans.

I had a similar experience when getting to the city in Baldur's Gate, which I also never finished. Things started to be too overwhelming, and overall not very interesting. Felt like a chore to continue, and I did not feel like pushing through.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thrice. Twice, just doing whatever I felt like, and once as a talker, and avoiding combat for much of the game.

Which time was more fun/fulfilling?
The first time was the most fun, because it leaves you with the most sense of wonder.
I played it on release with a sense of wtf is this shit

I still feel that same sense of wonder when I try to play it now, although I appreciate the autism

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
No shame in admitting that i have used a walkthrough in order to skip through the boring parts as fast as possible.
There are no boring parts.

I had a similar experience when getting to the city in Baldur's Gate, which I also never finished. Things started to be too overwhelming, and overall not very interesting. Felt like a chore to continue, and I did not feel like pushing through.
Where are all these coomers coming from, and how can we send them back to that place?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No shame in admitting that i have used a walkthrough in order to skip through the boring parts as fast as possible.
There are no boring parts.

Where are all these coomers coming from, and how can we send them back to that place?
The good news what I (or anybody else here) like or dislike doesn't affect you in any way.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is skinwalker being a faggot again in the actual RPG threads? I guess religious threads don’t get enough traffic eh you fucktwat cunt?

Anyway, I barely got it working on my oldest pc and then the cd drive fucking ate the cd. I had to pry the door open but it just ripped the disk to shit like a nail on a record. The disc was totally unusable and I haven’t tried it since. Damn shame considering I liked the pnp boxed sets. I had hoped a pnp module of this would surface similar to the POR Ruins of Myth Drannor module/novel.

Now, Mimir.net is a pretty awesome site. I dig the mascot.
IMG_3895.jpeg

Last edited:

McHodensack

Novice
Twice, once in 2006 or 2007, once in 2020 or 21

Tried it a few times when I was younger before 2006. I got it bundled with a crappy game called soulbringer at walmart. Bit too wordy and slow for a 10-12 year old, I never made it past the dead nations before 06. Tried it once or twice between both play throughs but never made it far.

I like the game but I don't find it has much replayability compared to other favorite crpg's of mine.
Almost the same situation for me. Played through it for the first time in 2008 or 09 after I tried playing it multiple times some years earlier, but never gotten too far.
I had it bundled with BG1 and 2, but for years I only really played the BG games. BG was just easier to get into for a 12 year old.

Second time playing through it was 2020 during lockdown. Picked up the EE for like 2 bucks. I also like it, but I also think there is not that much replayabillity when you compare it with the other IE games. Or even compared to modern titles like Disco Elysium.

PST's EE is actually fine tho, unlike the IWD and BG EEs.

Terenty

Liturgist
Yep, as much as I love PT it doesn't really hold up on repeat playthroughs.

There's a lot of filler and infodumps in dialogue and there's a lot of fetch quests.

It's a heresy to say it here, but DIsco Elysium is a better written and structured game.

Yes, one may prefer PT over DE, because of the themes and atmosphere, but one must admit that DE doesn't have filler at all and everything is relevant unlike a lot of stuff in PT.

Zero times, which is the correct number of times because the game is awful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom