Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much text should there be in an rpg?

Andhaira

Arcane
Are you a fan of in game books and written lore? Or do you like that to be kept to a minimum text wise, and instead have it narrated to you by npc's and stuff you see for yourself? (for exmaple, instead of reading a book on ancient ruins or StarFell, you can see the ruins in game when visiting a certain location)

I personally enjoy tons of text to read in rpg's. One of the reasons I liked the baldurs gate series so much. So many boks to read.

What about YOU?

Discuss!!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I started Betrayal At Krondor again, just to try out 0.73 DOSBox, and every word of it pours like liquid gold, so I guess I don't mind having a lot of good writing in a game.

Andhaira

Arcane
The Exile and the Avernum series had a cute bit of literture called "The Tearing of the Bodice" which I still remember, for some reason. :lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Of course, I like the game's writing, because you actually have to pay attention to it to advance the game, and also find special items, locations, and leads.

I actually have an A5 notepad with 12 pages of notes of everything of importance I find in the game.

Raymond Feist > Chris Avellone

I hardly ever read those, I usually just click them once to see if they give some kind of a stat bonus. There are rare exceptions, like that TES book about some princess fucking left and right.

Deleted Member 10432

The question is less how much and more what quality. I'll take 3 words of text gold over 3,000 of shitty fanfic-quality emoshunising. And by jingo, there's a lot of the latter floating around.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like PST because of the well-written dialogue. And there's lots of it. And I like that. I also like the huge amount of ingame books in Morrowind. So yeah, I guess I like reading lots of words in my RPGs.

And there can never be enough ingame books. They help the player to get into the setting, they make it all more immersive and if they're well-written and worth reading they can add a lot to the game.
Like in Morrowind.

A talented writer can paint a mental mural of a public toilet and make you savour the image. A talented designer can bring empty fields to life. Or they can both fail to even garner attention of all but the simplest life forms.
Medium doesn't really matter as much as the end result, as long as it captures imagination. The problem is, however, that it takes more time to read a poorly concepted text to see the waste of time than it takes to soak up an image, and that's a disappoinment multiplied.

To answer the question - yes, I like a long, captivating read. But making a habit of spewing preadolescent garbage or boring with pointless platitudes is the best way to secure the inventory from my prying hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom