Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's Halo Infinite's single-player campaign?

biffthestiff

Educated
I don't play online games but I loved Halo 1 and Halo 2 single-player.

How good is Halo Infinite if I'm just interested in the single-player campaign? I usually ignore F2P games because they're trash designed by the wrong people for the wrong reasons, but in this case it seems they hired the writer from the original series to write the SP campaign, and all their F2P shit is in the MP. So is this a legit free Halo story game for people who only care about SP? Is it as long and fun as the original games?

Zlaja

Arcane
I watched a stream of the game and the story was pretty shit. Also, Master Chief's new pilot companion was cringe, and so was the new Cortana. The action seemed decent, though. The campaign alternates between the vast open world section and closed off enviorments. Both the open world and the indoor enviorments could have used some more variety. Everything looks kinda samey. The more activities you complete on the open world map the more shit you unlock.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Well first off only the multiplayer is free. The campaign is $60 unless you have Xbox/PC game pass. And it's garbage. For context I love Bungie Halo, but 343 has struck out time after time and this was a bigger whiff than even Halo 5 was. The core movement and abilities are kinda cool but there is simply no good level design to take advantage of the core gameplay potential. The linear missions are tedious hallways lacking good encounter design (imagine a whole game of The Library from Halo CE), and the open world gets old fast because you simply aren't given many tools to have fun with (this is what games like Far Cry get right - give the player a huge arsenal of weapon and equipment, give them stealth options, etc.). Playing the first two hours of campaign will show you all the game has to offer - it literally doesn't change the rest of the way through.

For what it's worth the writing is garbage too. Halo always had simple goofy writing but it had a charm that elevated it somewhat, combined with the music and visual design made those classic Halo games feel pretty epic to play through. Infinite starts with nothing and leads into nothing, the third 343 Halo game where it felt like they simply had no idea what to do. Anything interesting suggested in the story happened before the game started, or happens offscreen. What's left are annoying characters and a bizarre and overly melodramatic tone.

On top of all that the PC version still has nasty frame pacing issues so gameplay will never feel as smooth as it should. The cutscenes also have a lot of camera stutter, and there's lots of other technical issues that were never fixed. It's not worth any asking price.

biffthestiff

Educated
Thanks for the detailed review my man. Dodged!

Well first off only the multiplayer is free. The campaign is $60 unless you have Xbox/PC game pass. And it's garbage.

Also you could've just stopped here. I liked Halo but not enough to pay $60. I'm not really a FPS fan, I only played 1 and 2 because they were some of the few 10/10 on Xbox back in the day.

Zlaja

Arcane
Have you played Halo:Reach? If not, then I would recommend you give that one a try. Solid campaign with varied levels and a story/characters that aren't cringe.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah the Master Chief Collection is a much better way to go since you get all the good games including Reach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom