Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's Planescape: Torment?

Ausir

Arcane
You're not always the same personality in Torment either.

Reklar

Liturgist
TFVanguard said:
flabbyjack said:
Plenty of reading(dialogue-oriented game) cuts the fanbase down to only the literate.

Yeah... because everyone else is too stupid not to agree with your tastes. Give me a break.

That isn't what he said, TFVanguard, so quit being flippant to look cool. He specifically said literate, not stupid, so your retort is baseless unless you are calling people who cannot read, or have not learned to, stupid, in which case you're being prejudicial and stereotyping. Besides, it should be faily evident that when he says literate he's talking about people who enjoy reading enough that it doesn't interrupt their gameplay experience. Work on your reading comprehension and reply with something of substance, it will help your argument a great deal more than acting like a pompous ass.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Edit: Clarifying post with an additional sentence.

beings

Novice
Planescape is a game for those who like to use their minds and like to read. Planescape is about finding out who you realy are and how you fit into the world (real world as well as in the game). I am a huge fan of fallout but planescape is a totaly different prize. Torment is very very philosophical and has many controversial elements to it like for eg. what is reality, who are we realy, what can change the nature of a man, what are our values and how do they conflict with others, how do you determine what is right and what is wrong. These elements are all addressed in the game. I admit that the combat in the game is not great but i actualy didnt want much combat anyway so it didnt matter to me. I was totaly sucked into the games deep meaning and story line. This game gives you almost complete freedom to act as you like, to be who you want to be and to do what you want to do. People who say this game has a poor story and bad development do not truely understand the meaning of the game and are only concerned with leveling up or fighting. The npc's in this game are unlike any in other games. They are integral parts of your past that you need and want to discover. They have huge meaningful depth and great conversations. The game's meaning is so powerful that i will never be able to forget it and it has explained to me the value system of humanity and how i fit in to society and how i dont fit in to society. The game also shows us that we all have something that torments us, each npc you meet in the game has something tormenting them, just like in real life because no one is perfect. The only down side i could find in this game was the several bugs it had. Planescape must be taken in slowly at first for you to realy enjoy the game, If you run into the game thinking there something around the next corner to kill you will be disappointed. TNO is a very very interesting character because he is *YOU* because you completely control his values and motives. If you find the game boring and lame it is because you are lame and boring because you are playing yourself. This has to be one of the best developed games ever made and it will always be a part of me along with fallout and fallout2.

Enderandrew

Novice
I'm not sure there is another CRPG I'd compare directly to Torment.

It may be the best game ever released on the PC in any genre.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Enderandrew said:

Choose your own adventure digitized and on steroids.

Easily one of the most beautiful and compelling tales told both computer gamingwise and literature-wise.

Hawkwing74

Liturgist
Enderandrew said:
I would say:
It may be the best electronic game ever released on any platform in any genre. :D

StraitLacedDeviant said:
A debatable but not completely unfounded opinion.
Exactly.

beings said:
Planescape is a game for those who like to use their minds and like to read. Planescape is about finding out who you realy are and how you fit into the world (real world as well as in the game). I am a huge fan of fallout but planescape is a totaly different prize. Torment is very very philosophical and has many controversial elements to it like for eg. what is reality, who are we realy, what can change the nature of a man, what are our values and how do they conflict with others, how do you determine what is right and what is wrong. These elements are all addressed in the game. I admit that the combat in the game is not great but i actualy didnt want much combat anyway so it didnt matter to me. I was totaly sucked into the games deep meaning and story line. This game gives you almost complete freedom to act as you like, to be who you want to be and to do what you want to do. People who say this game has a poor story and bad development do not truely understand the meaning of the game and are only concerned with leveling up or fighting. The npc's in this game are unlike any in other games. They are integral parts of your past that you need and want to discover. They have huge meaningful depth and great conversations. The game's meaning is so powerful that i will never be able to forget it and it has explained to me the value system of humanity and how i fit in to society and how i dont fit in to society. The game also shows us that we all have something that torments us, each npc you meet in the game has something tormenting them, just like in real life because no one is perfect. The only down side i could find in this game was the several bugs it had. Planescape must be taken in slowly at first for you to realy enjoy the game, If you run into the game thinking there something around the next corner to kill you will be disappointed. TNO is a very very interesting character because he is *YOU* because you completely control his values and motives. If you find the game boring and lame it is because you are lame and boring because you are playing yourself. This has to be one of the best developed games ever made and it will always be a part of me along with fallout and fallout2.

They're called paragraphs.

beings

Novice
They're called paragraphs

This isnt english class and i know you can all read. I just wanted to get that off my chest up there.

Id say fallout 2 and PS:T tie for my favorite all time RPG. But they are totaly different from each other and have totaly different meanings.

Spazmo

Erudite
Don't force a dev team to churn out a sequel to an already legendary game in a mere year because you'll get a pretty messy game?

Enderandrew

Novice
Fallout 2 is still pretty good despite the short development cycle and team changes. It fell just a little short of true greatness.

beings

Novice
i found fallout 2 to be a better game then fallout 1 because it had much more freedom then fallout 1. The real fallout meaning is a warning for the future of warfar and how we use weapons of mass destruction. Another meaning to fallout is that the human race can persevere but must learn from its past mistakes.The meanings in fallout 2 are that we as nations shouldnt isolate ourselves (vault city) and we should not judge others by how the look.

Fallout 2 is a long game and it seemed in some places a little under done (like broken hills nothing realy to do there)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I seem to remember busting some people out of jail, putting a midget into a well, playing chess with a radscorpion and talking with a plant there. And the mine. And you call that nothing? :D

The Exar

Liturgist
Well, Planescape is like a book. If you dont like reading, it wont be interesting. The first time i played, i wasnt very satisfied. After three months i tried it again and now it`s one of my favorite. It is true that you dont have much options for developing the characters, small arsenal of weapons and so on. BUT it has the greatest character story i`ve ever seen in a RPG! And i like the combat, too. Many say that it isnt good, but i find it to my taste, because of Nameless One powers and the spell arsenal. So mark this things well and play.

The Exar

Liturgist
Well, Planescape is like a book. If you dont like reading, it wont be interesting. The first time i played, i wasnt very satisfied. After three months i tried it again and now it`s one of my favorite. It is true that you dont have much options for developing the characters, small arsenal of weapons and so on. BUT it has the greatest character story i`ve ever seen in a RPG! And i like the combat, too. Many say that it isnt good, but i find it to my taste, because of Nameless One powers and the spell arsenal. So mark this things well and play.

The Exar

Liturgist

The Exar

Liturgist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom