Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hate digital distribution

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
...in its current form because with digital distribution, the concept of ownership is thrown out of the window and replaced with a licensing scheme where you get to download the shit you bought from the servers if and when they're online, while your license is easily revokable.

On the other hand, I don't like CDs and DVDs because they're physical, take up space and I have to get off my couch to get them.

The ideal solution for me would be DRM-free digital distribution combined with fucking huge (in storage capacity) external solid-state hard drives. Then I'd be able to download my shit and store it forever, carefully tagged and indexed in shoeboxes. :love:

I thought the "I love digital distribution" thread needed a complement.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:
A rant against digital distribution, that's new.

Indeed. Why would anyone hate digital distribution anyway?
It's free, you can download stuff without any restrictions, with DRM removed and at high speed - unless it's the case racofer mentioned.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
AdmiralHugbunny said:
Yeah. Because Steam fucking refuses to install games I paid for.

There is a disclaimer in the TOS that says it requires a 3rd grade education to figure out installs.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Metro said:
AdmiralHugbunny said:
Yeah. Because Steam fucking refuses to install games I paid for.

There is a disclaimer in the TOS that says it requires a 3rd grade education to figure out installs.

Considering Modern Warfare 2's target audience, I wouldn't be so sure.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
relootz said:
I like big boxes, however they don't make them anymore.

:decline:

I second that. I really miss those big boxes they used to make. Nowadays you have the standard DVD case with some image painted on it.

jazzotron

Liturgist
AdmiralHugbunny said:
relootz said:

I second that. I really miss those big boxes they used to make. Nowadays you have the standard DVD case with some image painted on it.

Thirded.

Nothing like a fat-arse manual as well. Those were the days. :(

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
AdmiralHugbunny said:
The ideal solution for me would be DRM-free digital distribution combined with fucking huge (in storage capacity) external solid-state hard drives. Then I'd be able to download my shit and store it forever, carefully tagged and indexed in shoeboxes.

I dunno about Impulse but GamersGate is what you are looking for. No extra DRM and you can store the files on your HD, along with the serial they email to you. For example, Paradox games have no DRM to begin with, so they are completely clean. Other devs might use something but atleast GG doesn't add anything extra.

So stop using shitty Steam.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
GarfunkeL said:
AdmiralHugbunny said:
The ideal solution for me would be DRM-free digital distribution combined with fucking huge (in storage capacity) external solid-state hard drives. Then I'd be able to download my shit and store it forever, carefully tagged and indexed in shoeboxes.

I dunno about Impulse but GamersGate is what you are looking for. No extra DRM and you can store the files on your HD, along with the serial they email to you. For example, Paradox games have no DRM to begin with, so they are completely clean. Other devs might use something but atleast GG doesn't add anything extra.

So stop using shitty Steam.

Thanks, I didn't know this thing existed.

Angthoron

Arcane
jazzotron said:
AdmiralHugbunny said:
relootz said:

Thirded.

Yeah, it's a damn shame they stopped making that. I still flip through the old manuals sometimes - some have fun little things like concept art or mini-stories thrown in, too. Today the box has a "redding is teh hard" edition of crappy little install guide that is nothing but a waste of paper.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Angthoron said:
jazzotron said:
AdmiralHugbunny said:
relootz said:

Thirded.

Yeah, it's a damn shame they stopped making that. I still flip through the old manuals sometimes - some have fun little things like concept art or mini-stories thrown in, too. Today the box has a "redding is teh hard" edition of crappy little install guide that is nothing but a waste of paper.

Nowadays If you want the mini-stories and concept art you have to fork out an extra 10-20 bucks for the special edition. This shit makes me :x

DraQ

Arcane
jazzotron said:
AdmiralHugbunny said:
relootz said:

Thirded.

Fourthed.

I never cared much about the big boxes themselves (if only because I never had room to store them anyway), but they did have a lot of room for extra physical content, like paper maps, fat-ass manuals overflowing with fluff and lore, feelies, etc. and those are the things I happen to treasure if the game itself is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom