Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hate *needing* a Walkthrough to complete a game

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Fuck you Painkiller. I've now finished it... like 3 years after I bought it or some shit but there are two end bosses that pissed me off.

The first, I'm in this arena with an immortal thing. I'm shooting the crap out of it, it's slow as fuck and can't hit me and I'm running circles around it but not causing any damage. Bug?

No. See, there are these fires in the middle of the arena. Completely arbitrary fires. Just there for special effect right? No...
  • Kill all the small enemies now and start shooting the flames in the middle of the arena. Shoot the flames on every pole until they're all out, then finish off the big guy. You have to shoot the fires first because he is invincible until they are all out.
Yes, one has to shoot fires because everyone knows SHOOTING FIRE makes the bad guy vulnerable! Once I know this little trick, I take him out in all of about 5 seconds.

Then there's the final level... I notice there are red circles with glowy affects. Ok, so these must be important but I want to figure it out for myself. So I stand in the circle and shoot... Doesn't work. Bad guy can kill me while standing in the circle and he's otherwise immortal.

There are fires about the place so naturally I shoot them just to be on the safe side after my past experience, but no luck there either. Once again I check a walkthrough and this time I find:
  • Basically you need to stand on one of these rings if you see little lights rising out of them. Once you stand on one of these rings you NEED to get hit by one of Alastor's attacks. At this point a stone golem appears nearby and starts walking towards Alastor. The golem can't take much damage though so try your best to keep Alastor's attention on you. Once the Golem manages to land a punch on Alastor he falls to one knee. At this point you should use your cards and unleash your guns on him.
Yeah. You stand in the rings all right but then you have to WAIT to deliberately be attacked by the bad guy (nothing special about the attacks) and then A MAGICAL GOLEM APPEARS which hits the bad guy after which only THEN can you kill him. Even knowing there was a MAGICAL GOLEM that popped up out of nowhere I still didn't notice the fucker.

Turns out he was spawning behind the Big Bad Boss™ and being obliterated in the Boss' attack against me. Took a few shots but eventually he pops up for more than the 12 seconds needed for him to wander over like a slow-ass cucumber and bop the Boss... again at which point 5 seconds later I demolish the boss.

Who comes up with this shit completely arbitrary bullshit? If there was information in the game like a scroll or an NPC you bumped into who said "Everyone knows you have to summon the Magical Golem with the red glowy circles!" then fine but there's not. You're supposed to somehow figure this shit out and even when you know IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Suicidal

Arcane
Hey I remember the second boss you mentioned, but what's that fight with shooting fires? Can't remember which boss you are talking about.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wait what the hell are you talking about? You needed walkthroughs to complete Bioware games? You needed a walkthrough to complete Alpha Protocol?

And what abour Brakyo? He doesn't require any weird tactics, I just shot him to death.

desocupado

Magister
Karmapowered said:
Sounds like generic Bioware dungeon crappola, when their designers have their lazy day. Too many of those days in a year lately, unfortunately...

PS : The same kind of uninspired crappola can be spotted by Obsidian's turf actually, no jealousy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRojSYNg7k0

Kind of unassuming, but well planted. Took me a while to realize it was trolling.

8/10

Would rage again.

chzr

Scholar
well it looks like bosses in painkiller...

were pain in the ass

:yeah:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
roladka said:
I don't think you can finish Larry 3 without a walkthrough

I finished it without a walkthrough. Didn't even know they existed back in 1991 when I played it. :smug:

Ironically though, now I need a walkthrough for almost anything as I have neither the patience nor the reasoning to think in the fucked way you have to think to solve the idiotic puzzles in most adventure games.

Achilles

Arcane
DU wanted a quest compass? Is noone safe anymore from the grasp of The Popamole?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Here's a pro-tip: don't play shitty games where the main design idea is getting locked in a room with respawning monsters.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I remember spending hours trying to beat the final boss in some shitty Mulan game for the Game Boy. I never did. This still enrages my inner completionist when I think about it, I can't even find any videos of someone beating him so I can figure out what I should have done.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That doesn't sound like the end boss of Painkiller. Was it one of the expansions? I only have the original and the way to kill them bosses was pretty clear.

The original painkiller boss was the giant prince of hell who didn't seem to exist in the normal dimension meaning you needed to go into beast mode to even encounter the thing. Was far too easy and anti-climactic, especially after that epic boss fight on the three level tower vs the second to last boss with the bat wings. Thankfully the arena where you fought the final boss sure had an amazing hellish apocolyptic art style to it with a vista of a nuclear explosion, war trenches, a large sea of acid or something all designed around the base of a volcano. It was nice enough to look at for me to forgive how easy and simple the actual fight was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom