Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hear a lot about Mechwarrior 2...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
but what about Mechwarrior 1? How does that compare?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I never played Mechwarrior 1, but I played the shit out of Mechwarrior 2. Love that game. Hearing all the sound effects brings me back instantly and the music wasn't actually pretty good :)

Zomg

Arbiter
MW1 is so low-fi, prototype 3D that it's just unplayably surreal now, but at the time it was OK. It is freelance mission-based, you fly to different planets (governed by different governments) and you pick from 3-4 missions that are variations of "kill a dude, kill a base, kill all the dudes". You get money to buy better mechs and repair what you have. There was also a main quest that had you run around to different system in a certain order and read chunks of exposition and occassionally do a mission to win it, but it was totally optional. There might have been a faction system between the different governments, can't remember.

Destroid

Arcane
Yep there was a faction system in place. You could also fly to pretty much any planet you liked in the inner sphere, and do missions there. You could also hang out at the bar and ask the tender for rumours.

Destroid

Arcane
Agreed, but really, mechwarrior games are kind of bad in hindsight. I really liked Mech Commander and Crescent Hawks Revenge.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Yeah from what I could find about the original Mechwarrior it seemed like a more detailed mix of management, RPG elements and non-linear action than the sequels. I loved Mech 2 and it's expansions along with the Mech Commander games, but never saw the first anywhere. I did prefer Heavy Gear though, they were more agile and responsive. Mech 4 was too opamole, the mechs didn't even act like they were damaged when you tore up a leg.
Mech 3 was about the best game for my old MS Force Feedback stick, felt great with that. They don't make controllers like that anymore either.

Zomg

Arbiter
I didn't really dig the clan invasion thing. I played MW2 and didn't like it and that was pretty much the last BTech thing I ever purchased. All their homemade mech designs that they didn't license from Japanimes looked awful. I wish I still had the oldest technical readout books they sold for the tabletop game with the good versions of Marauders, Warhammers, etc.

Zomg

Arbiter
Even MW2 is too far back in primordial 3D Gouraud shading hell for me to handle now, MW1 is on the moon. At least the space sims like TIE Fighter didn't have to render the ground.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Zomg said:
Even MW2 is too far back in primordial 3D Gouraud shading hell for me to handle now, MW1 is on the moon. At least the space sims like TIE Fighter didn't have to render the ground.

Don't be such a faggot, play the Mechwarrior Trilogy with 16 bit graphics to get first gen 3D texturing if you need to.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Rude Dude said:
Reconite said:
Are these threads a new craze now?

Talking about old and (sometimes) underrated games is pure win.

pure win, huh. What kind of "win" are we talking about. And how is it pure. What are you winning. How is winning pure or not. Does it mean you come first place? Does that make it more pure? How bout you shut the fuck up

Alright, I'm just trying too hard, fuck me

Still : :rage:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crescent Hawk's Inception was only Mechwarrior game what I played.

Rude Dude

Educated
pure win, huh. What kind of "win" are we talking about. And how is it pure. What are you winning. How is winning pure or not. Does it mean you come first place? Does that make it more pure? How bout you shut the fuck up

Alright, I'm just trying too hard, fuck me

Still : :rage:

Well, I gain knowledge about games i never heard of or simply didn't notice.

Plus:i guess my english is shit and instead of "win" there should be "a worthy cause" or something along the line

DraQ

Arcane
Zomg said:
Well, that's pretty odd, actually, as FFE, for example, not only rendered ground, but rendered and simulated entire solar systems, yet it looked way better than MW2, despite being released in the same year. Hell, TN:SFC was released in the next year and it still looks good.

MWE1, what can I say? It looks exactly like something released when I was 5yo should.
I wonder why wasn't it ported to Amiga, Atari, maybe even c64.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Aspergers you say? Hmm, but it seems so ubiquitous in it's symptoms that you could make a case for most people having it at some point their life. Shit, I fit the bill as well with my monologues about favored topics in real life, often unable to read the intentions of others, loudness, fascination with particular narrow fields etc.

You're a cool cat DraQ regardless, a connoisseur of fine
gaming.

:bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom