Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hear a lot about the Elder Scrolls 2...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
But what about the Elder Scrolls 1? Huh? Talk to me.

ElectricOtter

Arena was okay, but not very good. Interactions were limited compared to Daggerfall. Felt like a watered-down UU in my opinion.

EDIT: oh, the weapons animations were actually much smoother than they were in Daggerfall.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
ElectricOtter said:
oh, the weapons animations were actually much smoother than they were in Daggerfall.

Heh really? Why'd they fuck it up for Daggerfall?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Arena was before my time, sadly. I played it when Bethesda released it for free, but I didn't last long. Compared to Daggerfall and Morrowind it seemed very lacking.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It had riddles. I like riddles. But generally it was just Daggerfall without the awesome and all the random, which doesn't make for a very good game.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, before Daggerfall fleshed things out it was damn awesome with big world and all, but after Daggerfall was released it looked kinda bleak and watered down.

but i played it alot when it was new and exiting.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I like it simple but fun random dungeons, complex main quest dungeons and outdoor areas full of castles and shit. Arena is not spectacular like Daggefall, but still is fine game.

666th post. Yay!

Ancient

Erudite
Fowyr said:
I like it simple but fun random dungeons, complex main quest dungeons and outdoor areas full of castles and shit. Arena is not spectacular like Daggefall, but still is fine game.

666th post. Yay!

2069.gif

hicksman

Liturgist
Lots of dungeon crawling, but if i remember correctly it had the start of the character customization that was so cool in Daggerfall. And the dungeon design was rather cool as well.

Good game, but I eventually got sick of dungeons... I think I crapped out 3/4 of the way through. Still on my HD actually.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Oblibians could be called Arena 2. :smug:
No, at least Arena had some nice dungeon design (in the MQ dungeons only of course). Oblivion managed to botch even this.

ElectricOtter

Turisas said:
ElectricOtter said:
oh, the weapons animations were actually much smoother than they were in Daggerfall.

Heh really? Why'd they fuck it up for Daggerfall?
Dunno. But it really annoys me when I play Daggerfall.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arena - shit boring
Daggerfall - awesome huge world but except that it's mediocre
Morrowind - great atmosphere but except that it was mediocre
Oblivion - shit boring

Arena and Oblivion are the games people should ignore while giving a try Morrowind and Daggerfall. MW and DF are mediocre games with some awesome features and if these features hit your taste you'll be playing them for years. If not they will become boring pretty soon. Arena and Oblivion on the other hand are shitty games with mediocre features which will make you play them only for a short period of time. At least if you're not a consoletard.

Andhaira

Arcane
Arena was fantastic, and a revolution for its time. IMO it was superior to daggerfall once you consider that daggerfall actually built upon arena, while arena was built from scratch.

Ancient

Erudite
AndhairaX said:
Arena was fantastic, and a revolution for its time. IMO it was superior to daggerfall once you consider that daggerfall actually built upon arena, while arena was built from scratch.

so you'd rather eat plain bread instead of a sandwich ?

I just started playing it, since in a twist of fate I find myself with the entire elder scrolls series (excluding redguard) so I figure I might as well start at the beginning. Turns out I played it when I was a kid, so theres a bit of nostalgia there.

Anyway, it's really more of a 3d roguelike than anything else. The world is huge, with lots of random towns and houses and the controls are shitty. Theres no skills, you just kinda level up and get better at hitting stuff. It uses an experience based system and you get a random amount of stat points every level to distribute. theres no custom classes, but each class has their own special ability, like fighters can repair stuff, rangers get their level added to hit and damage rolls, sorcerers absorb magic attacks ect. Interestingly allot of the special abilities would go on to become skills or birthsigns later in the series. Also only plate armor can be enchanted, so unless your a warrior, ranger or knight no +10 agility boots for you. Overall it feels much more D&D inspired than the later entries, having negative armor class and to hit modifiers and whatnot.

Some weird stuff: Lockpicking is useless, you can bash down doors by hitting them and treasure is just left on piles on the floor. When you break into a house it's treated like a dungeon, meaning all the houses are filled with lizardmen and minotaurs. The bigger fancier houses do have better treasure and tougher guards, which is pretty cool. There's no crime system, say your standing in the town square, wailing on some chumps door with an axe. 2 or 3 guards may show up but after you kill them your good to go. Or you can just keep bashing the door, once you enter and exit the house the guards will be gone and no one will be the wiser. the outdoor areas are filled with townspeople and I rarely get attacked out on the road.

If anyone decides to play it, here is the single best tip I can give you: If you right click on the door to a shop/inn/mage guild its automatically labeled on the automap. Makes everything allot easier. If anyone wants to know anything else let me know, I'm a never-ending fountain of knowledge on shitty games.

:smug:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Dicksmoker said:
Btw, what was the actual geography covered by Arena?

A randomly-generated map that doesn't actually have anything on it.

As in, you can start at the town, leave, keep walking, and the only thing you'll ever reach is the town again when you cross the entire world.

I wasn't too fond of Arena, really. It's not terrible, but for the reasons others have listed, I don't see any reason to play it over Daggerfall - I think nomask loved it, so I say this at the risk of him running in screaming that I hate Beethoven, but there you have it. If you have played Daggerfall and enjoy it, it's worth a try - hell, they're both free from Bethesda's site anyway - but I wouldn't bother with it first.

DraQ

Arcane
poocolator said:
DraQ said:
Oblibians could be called Arena 2. :smug:
This is pretty much all I would need to know about Arena.
:salute:
Well, the lore is pretty much nonexistant in both games. Both use simple as fuck, unambiguous plot - in case of Arena it's "collect seven pieces of macguffin hidden in dungeons spread around whole continent to defeat the evil foozle", both seem more or less generically DnDish. Arena has some actual dungeons and randomly generated, unlimited worldspace, albeit discontinuous one. OTOH it has next to none customization options TES is so famous for, no factions and mechanics ripped off nearly verbatim from DnD.

Ancient said:
AndhairaX said:

so you'd rather eat plain bread instead of a sandwich ?
:lol:

Konjad said:
Arena - shit boring
Daggerfall - awesome huge world but except that it's mediocre
Morrowind - great atmosphere but except that it was mediocre
Oblivion - shit boring

Arena and Oblivion are the games people should ignore while giving a try Morrowind and Daggerfall. MW and DF are mediocre games with some awesome features and if these features hit your taste you'll be playing them for years. If not they will become boring pretty soon. Arena and Oblivion on the other hand are shitty games with mediocre features which will make you play them only for a short period of time. At least if you're not a consoletard.
I'd say that DF and MW are awesome games but riddled with "what is it i dont even" caliber flaws. Arena and Oblivion would be mediocre games, but they are also riddled with same amount of equally crippling flaws. At least Arena has an excuse, being series' prototype.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom