Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I like world of warcraft

kosie99

Novice
It reminds me of the MUD I used to play (Realms of Despair), in that I have total freedom to do and go where and when I want. I play on a RP or PvE server, of course, as I don't enjoy PvP at all.

It even has flying and swimming (probably climbing as well) and most of all it is not DnD. Getting tired of that same old crap.

For once it is fun to do a dungeon because you can never be sure what waits for you at the end of it. In DnD you always know it will be one of the boring creatures from the monster manual whose stats everyone at the Codex seems to know by heart.

Not everything in WoW is absolutely fantastic, but it is the most fun I had with a game for quite some time.

Ortchel

Liturgist
You can do all of those things in Everquest 2, as well as most of them in Star Wars Galaxies. This is your first MMO isn't it?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I bet you do, Kosie. Just wait a month or two.

Between the balance issues and not being able to log because you have to queue up, I dont know which results in more fun. The login server going down periodically so you cant log on at all is a plus, too.

Well, it would be best for you to hold onto that shiny apple for as long as possible, and believe that the experience is worth while.
Stave off that dreadful sinking in of reality of the situation.
Just have fun until then.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
You can climb. It is called the "Priest Levitate" spell, which if you aim your character at a certain angle on a slope, you can climb up alongst the side of it.

Got me some nice pictures of Hyjal and the southern portion of Silithus, including that long-ass temple.

In DnD you always know it will be one of the boring creatures from the monster manual whose stats everyone at the Codex seems to know by heart.

It is called Thottbot. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then you'll realize that the mobs of one type are basically all the same, just that their stats are pumped up to match their level.

I also got stuck in a queue, albiet only for a few minutes, but that doesn't give me any warm, fuzzy feelings about the future of WoW.

Astromarine

Erudite
I've never been in a queue, and I am perfectly aware of the endgame problems with the game. The mechanics that are wrapped in this incredibly atmospheric world are quite simplistic, I know. Once I hit 60, I'll probably start with a Horde character or something just to check out the environments I missed. Eventually, I'll give up out of boredom.

The key here is, though, that as a soloer, explorer, PvE, singleplayerish player, I know that this eventually happens to every game. All single player games I have I stopped playing out of having extracted all I could from them. Therefore, the fact that this will happen to WoW does not scare me in the least. If I manage to play at a slow enough pace so that Blizzard adds content faster than I can consume it, this sense of boredom will be delayed quite a bit. I hope this does happen, purely because I DO enjoy playing slow, and because this is the first game my wife has REALLY enjoyed in ages, so I hope it lasts.

Does it make the game perfect or even "good" in terms of challenging and complex gameplay? Oh HELL no. But I don't need it to be. I'm playing it as a bigger, prettier, better version of Morrowind with immensely better NPCs :)

I take a bit of offense at the comments saying that only deluded people can enjoy the game. Much to the contrary, the more you know exactly what type of game it is, and how it works, the more you can enjoy the good parts of it.

Ortchel

Liturgist
WoW, those graphics are terrible. Does it use the Warcraft 3 engine or something?

kosie99

Novice
Yes, it is my first MMORPG, although I think the MUD I used to play qualifies as well. But that has nothing to do with it. If I can get a single player version of this game (edit: hey, maybe it will be Diablo 3!) with the vast world available to explore, I would still enjoy it. I am an explorer first and then a role player.

It will get boring, I know. Every game does. Even Fallout and PST and BG and BL..... I am a level 15 priest at the moment, so I will see how it goes.

As for the graphics, I really don't see how anybody can complain about that. Yes, it is a colourful, cartoonish world like WC3, but it looks great. I am only a lowly populated European server and I saw someone with his newly acquired white stallion go by... wow!

I took my first flight to Ironforge from Stormwind the other night and it looks amazing! I like it that the world you fly over is the live, breathing world and it is not just some cutscene playing. You can see players fighting below and the dragons in the Burning Steppes look great as I fly over them. Would be fun to get to that level and finally enter that desolate area.

To each his own, but like I said, WoW is like my old text MUD coming to life and at the moment I really love it.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't understand. It's not a matter of qualification. It's just that the novely will wear off and you'll notice the flaws and repetitiveness.

And saying "every game gets boring" is just so wrong. I played games like Battle Isle or Civilization regularly for years. Ultima 7 took me over a year, and I had to restart due to a gamestopping bug. Most games I would never have touched again if I had hit a gamestopper halfway to the end.

Maybe all games do get boring, but not as fast as mmorpgs. That said, I am still playing Diablo2 occasionally. But that's mostly because I never played it as intensively as other people.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Enjoy it as long as you can Kosie. I don't subscribe to the (gameplay) criticism in this thread, mind you. There's nothing quite like your first MMO.

xemous

Arcane
The modelers and artists are obviously talented, doesnt stop it looking like shit though. When I grab some armour I want to see it, not some plate armour bitmap. Only a twelve year old would buy that shit. The environment looks nominal, the characters are a joke, the teeth on the tauren are 2d, seriously, what year are we in, fucking 1998.

DarkSign

Erudite
The gameplay and the gameart are complete crap.

The textures couldnt be more than 248X248, the models look like amateur crap off the Polycount webboards...and after playing many many many MMOs the grind is still...well...a grind. Had I started with the rest of my guild (who is still playing for the PvP) perhaps I could revel in the dungeon raids and PvP, but having started too late, the grind has made me stop playing.

That being said, its still better than EQ2...by far.

xemous

Arcane
When they release a expansion pack with a graphics upgrade which they will, depending on how that looks I may give it a go.

Jedi359

Liturgist
So when Fallout is accused of having poor, retro graphics, everyone immediately jumps forth to cry "Who cares about the graphics? Graphics don't matter, it's gameplay!"

Yet it's ok to use "poor graphics" as a criticism for a game the group doesn't like?

I like it so far. The quests are repetitive, but at least there is a little justification for each one. Hell, Everquest didn't even give me that, only fighting for the sake of fighting.

My personal love is in games like this and DnD, where I savor fighting and questing as a means for making myself stronger. I usually can't wait to level up and get just a little closer to attaining more power for my avatar.

For me, RPG's aren't about the intricate plotlines and well drawn characters, though these things are immensely rewarding. It's about making my guy as strong as possible, in any way I can. That's what appeals to me about Warcraft. It allows me to do this with little hassle, alone or with my friends.

The other thing I like is being able to participate in a mythos that I'm familiar with, like the Warcraft mythos.

Fez

Erudite
Fallout's graphics have more style. Same goes for the BG games. I like them more than WoW's. So nyer.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Exitium said:
Between the balance issues and not being able to log because you have to queue up, I dont know which results in more fun. The login server going down periodically so you cant log on at all is a plus, too.

Yeah, in 6 weeks of play I've never been queued, and they keep adding new servers, as recently as two weeks ago so that's an old argument.

The Login servers have been problematic for 3 of the approximately 50 days I've been playing it so it's hardly a reason to leave.

I can see being done with it in another month or so though, but having a good guild has helped keep it fun.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The only game I know where you can look totally badass at level 28 yet turn into a complete clown at level 58.

Blizzard also released the patch notes for their next update. It is funny how Blizzard likes to pidgeonhole players into playing the "intended" style of their class, and not go on more unorthodox ways of playing their character.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
They've been doing that since the end of the closed beta, when they more or less destroyed the extremely versatile Warrior, Rogue, and Mage classes. The only versatile classes left these days are the Shaman, Priest and Paladin.

I just think it's wrong when a Priest can outdamage a Warrior and destroy him, just as well he can buff himself and use spells like Mind Control to keep the Warrior occupied while he heals up.

Meh.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
What has changed is a two item combo, that combined, reduced the mana costs of all spells by 50 mana. The two items are a collar and an off-hand item, which made casters with one-handers viable. But thats been changed now, so instead of having both a burst damage caster and a sustained damage caster, we now just have, well, a burst damage caster.

Warriors are at the bottom of the single PvPing that goes on. I tried playing as a warrior, but I can't stomach it and dropped it at around level 15. The lack of any "getaway" abilities is frustrating, while all the classes I played had some sort of "Oh SHIT!" button I can press to get the Hell out of Dodge.

They also removed ressurecting sickness for shamans when they reincarnate themselves, if I read these patch notes right.

Upper level instances aren't as fun, as every class is shoe-horned into a single duty. When they take mages into places like the Molten Core, you know what their primary job is? AoE? Burst damage? Crowd control?

Nope.

Removing curses from the priests so that they can heal at 100% effectiveness instead of 20% effectiveness. Maybe a bit of damage when all the adds are taken care of, but that is basically it.

I could go on about why they bring rogues into Molten Core, but it would involve the words "guild leader", "sucking cock" and "the night before", maybe not in that exact order.

Hajo

Liturgist
Ortchel said:
Enjoy it as long as you can Kosie. I don't subscribe to the (gameplay) criticism in this thread, mind you. There's nothing quite like your first MMO.

There is some truth in this :)
Last week I finally got a flatrate internet access and tried Diablo II online. Now I'm totally hooked :)

Bad for my projects, but a lot of fun for me. I assume it will wear off some day as everything did so far, but I try to keep the fun as long as possible!

Hajo

Liturgist
I'm sorry for being imprecise. I have LOD since it became available in the shops :)

It's kind of amazing that even through such a narrow communication channel you can team up successfully - if the other players try that same that is.

I'm also surprised of the pace. Many players just run and kill, they don't even seem to look at the item drops. Very rarely players chat. But so far I always met someone who played 'sensible' in a cooperative teammate style. Some players seem to be thankful for help and teamplay and apprecate this style of playing (and also let one know about). Some don't care. Some don't even say "thanks" if you give them useful items for free ... heck as long as there are nice players and I'm able to find them, it's ok for me.

"Social studies of multiplayer online gamers" - I think I should write a book :)

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Concerning bad graphics, Fallout and Wow, plus, complaining - well, there is one fundamental thing - decent 2D is mostly better than old 3D. Look at Fallout2 and Tron screens. Or even VanBuren. Fallout does look better.

Having said that, though, I dont mind WOW graphics, they put is as a feature not as weak side and thats I like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom