Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Need Educating

Jamshh

Novice
Can anyone recommend some good filth that a Mac-user should look into? Alas, I'm settled into Fallout at the moment (after many out-of-ignorance restarts; actually, I need to start again, having deleted my save), but hopefully there are some prominent OS X worthy CRPGs that I shouldn't overlook/should have checked out before now.

Zomg

Arbiter
Nearly anything I'd recommend for a PC user is probably functional in either Wine or Dosbox for OS X on a newish Mac.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I think Neverwinter Nights 2 for the Mac is out. Might want to check that one out. Though the first NWN2 expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, hasn't been ported. Don't even know if they plan to, but Mask is a really spectacular gaming experience. There's also Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate 2.

Also, what Zomg said.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Zomg is true, most oldies are available through emulation. Just think of Darklands, Wasteland, Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's tale... Well there are tons of topics on these boards about good old dos (and atari) games.

For more recent games, I'm pretty sure that NWN and its expansions are available for mac (skip directly to the expansions). Not sure about BG serie and NWN2 but it wouldn't be a surprise. I believe that most of Sid Meier's games are available for mac users (After some time plaing civilization IV, you should try Alpha Centauri). Many indie games are available for both mac and pc. I'm sure about Avernum, but you should look for geneforge too.

Oh and I'm sure I've seen King of Dragon Pass being played on a mac.

Nedrah

Erudite
Don't those modern fancy macs (the kind that run OSX) come with that bootcamp thingy? Why don't you use that? Or, depending on the power of your machine, what's stopping you from running XP in a virtual machine?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Marathon 1-3. Think Halo, but good. Long before Bungee fucked up.

The Dude

Liturgist
I had great fun with a nice old school RPG by the name of Realmz way back. Sadly I found the Windows version to be a buggy and broken clusterfuck of immense proportions. Haven't touched a Mac in like 5 years though so don't know much about compatibility with OS-X.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
The Dude said:
I had great fun with a nice old school RPG by the name of Realmz way back. Sadly I found the Windows version to be a buggy and broken clusterfuck of immense proportions. Haven't touched a Mac in like 5 years though so don't know much about compatibility with OS-X.

Wikipedia said:
It can only be run natively under System 7-OS 9 or Windows 98+, requiring Mac OS X-only machines to run it through the Classic environment or a Macintosh emulator

J1M

Arcane
Jamshh said:
Can anyone recommend some good filth that a Mac-user should look into? Alas, I'm settled into Fallout at the moment (after many out-of-ignorance restarts; actually, I need to start again, having deleted my save), but hopefully there are some prominent OS X worthy CRPGs that I shouldn't overlook/should have checked out before now.
Install Windows, faggot.

likelytouseamacpv2.jpg

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Marathon 1-3. Think Halo, but good. Long before Bungee fucked up.

And on that note, Myth 1-2. I never got into Marathon (don't think Halo, but good, think System Shock. 1. But worse.) but Myth is awesome real time tactical action. It's kind of like Dark Omen but mostly just a great, unique game.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
The Dude said:

I had a Mac in 1995 and Realmz was the hardest shareware game that came with it, by far. Goddamn spider tower. It's really more of a turn-based Diablo like game than a proper RPG with dialog and a plot and stuff.

mondblut

Arcane
If Realmz was a "turn-based diablo", so were the Goldbox series Realmz were clearly inspired by.

Nice game it was. I wonder though, why many of the sprites were identical to Exile graphics?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Sir_Brennus said:
Fez said:
Spiderweb Software's games are for both Mac and PC and are pretty bad.

Fixed.

They're not bad ,they're actually fun once you get into them, but the graphics horribly horribly suck.
I don't know, I played quite a bit of Avernum V, and I did not find a single interesting quest, a single interesting combat situation, or anything remotely fun.

LCJr.

Erudite
mondblut said:
If Realmz was a "turn-based diablo", so were the Goldbox series Realmz were clearly inspired by.

Nice game it was. I wonder though, why many of the sprites were identical to Exile graphics?

Because they were both published by Fantasoft?

Fez

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:
I don't know, I played quite a bit of Avernum V, and I did not find a single interesting quest, a single interesting combat situation, or anything remotely fun.

Did you try any of the other series? Some people prefer them to Avernum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom