Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Icewind Dale I LP

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Here's the beginning of the promised IWD LP. I'm taking recruits still for the roster, as I'm going to follow the rules as specified here.

Without further ado:
ipfmDvZ.jpg

First up on the chopping block, CappenVarra the caped beauty. I tried to maximize as many of the important stats as possible. I chose spectral undead for the favored enemy because a lot of the enemies that we face are undead in this game iirc and the hardest ones are spectral ones. Could be wrong though.
3s4Y47k.jpg

Gave specialization in maces, proficiency in hammers for a backup melee weapon and missile for ranged weapon.
ydWiMxT.jpg

The rest of them don't get such a detailed overview yet, since they're likely to diemeet with an unfortunate accident that may or may not see them leaving the job.
From top to bottom we have
1. CappenVarra's Cleric/Ranger
2. kmonster's thief that I actually managed to get all 13s for stats and for some reason decided to keep it.
3. My character, an elven Fighter/Mage.
4. A human Bard for those buff songs for now.
5. A Fighter/Druid
6. Gnome Illusionist/Thief

Alright, let's get going.

CTTs929.jpg

Game starts with exposition. Good signs already.

sst5pGR.jpg

As soon as the game starts, we face our greatest foe: Hrothgar's opening dialog.
My editing skills for this were subpar, since I had a crapshoot figuring out how to crop shit properly in Paint, so Imma throw it into another spoiler tag. Read at your own risk.

nnc8NP6.jpg

jNCpg0T.jpg

EznjLye.jpg

Hey! Here's one that turned out alright~~
cEQIRiG.jpg

We leave the bar and take Hrothgar's advice to grab some gear at Pomab's Emporium.

wh489hG.jpg

Entering the shack, we decide to talk to Pomab.

FuJJAV5.jpg

Already, he shows that he's a cuntcharming fellow.

T5J9gSN.jpg

We ain't gonna put up with his shit.

4Bm9vSO.jpg

I love the sarcastic responses in this game

iPBaydS.jpg

OOOOOOH damn

8u56gcD.jpg

Y'know, sarcasm aside, this is a good point, and probably why he ends the discussion here.

xzpbehY.jpg

We like to leave him on one last burn.

qQAoixA.jpg

Yes, it's time to buy some shit.

41jxbzi.jpg

We buy Cappen some chainmail, a mace, a sling, and some bullets.
For K Monster we buy leather armor, a bow and a shortsword
For me, it's a greatsword and comp longbow, no armor
For the bard, I grab some leather armor and...

Wait...

Why am I going through what generic shit each person got? Who cares?

utLTo9N.jpg

With this, we end.

Next time: We finish up our first few quests.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
why are you not starting conversations with the high charisma bard? you'd get better prices that way, and there are some additional dialogues in Easthaven depending on class...

Wayward Son

why are you not starting conversations with the high charisma bard? you'd get better prices that way, and there are some additional dialogues in Easthaven depending on class...
Mainly at that point because it didn't really matter from my experience. For the tasks throughout town, I did use the Bard to gain extra XP from special dialogue choices.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just screenshot dialogues the same as you do everything else.

Tigranes

Arcane
What

Windows prntscrn should work just fine but in any case why aren't you using some kind of basic screenshot manager

Well whatever, I don't need to read the dialogue so I don't mind that it's hilariously warped

Wayward Son

What

Windows prntscrn should work just fine but in any case why aren't you using some kind of basic screenshot manager

Well whatever, I don't need to read the dialogue so I don't mind that it's hilariously warped
The warping should be fixed in the next update as I finally figured out how Paint worked. As for windows print screen, it works for everything except dialogs so far, and it works in windowed mode for dialogs by using winkey+prntscrn then cropping the rest of my desktop out.

Wayward Son

I should get the second update up today sometime as long as my laptop doesn't take too long updating itself.

Wayward Son

Update might come earlier than expected as I found a far easier way to crop the dialog screenshots.

Wayward Son

ZyXOaDA.jpg

For our first "quest", we will go over to this random house.

xSG3I0n.jpg

Meet Ol Jed, the local drunkard fisherman.

yKxx7RA.jpg

He's been tragically banned from the only watering hole in town. As a group of great heros, we sympathize.

iPzKQHT.jpg

I like the sarcasm in a lot of Easthaven's lines. It's almost like they knew that no one likes a tutorial, and they harnessed it into the writing. Eat your heart out, Candlekeep!

VoBaFm0.jpg

To save myself a bit of running back and forth, I had already bought some at the end of the first update to give to the poor bastard.

JcJXsUl.jpg

A heart warming end, really.

78X8TgS.jpg

Especially for our XP meters!

aWlAP8d.jpg

Going outside, we talk to this guy humming a ballad to himself.

R2s61MF.jpg

Ignore the Steam alert in the corner, didn't notice it until I was in the middle of photo editing.

M8SNYUx.jpg

I love how you can either be dismissive or just blatantly walk away.

ew9SwD0.jpg

We accept this quest as, because of our friendly neighborhood bard, it's an XP fountain.

eKmTeU5.jpg

While wandering around, we meet this gent. Let's talk to him.

ZMZJpft.jpg

Guy has a problem.

iu1UOHd.jpg

Some good ol' fashioned early game ratwolf slaying.

1WnFACe.jpg

Being Bioware Evil, we ask him to pay us for risking our lives.

kEZNb8q.jpg

We pick the lock on the door.

bDnE1bj.jpg

I opened the battle up with sleep, since this can be a lethal one for level one adventurers. As you'll see later, not having this sleep spell turns out to bite us in the ass.

7lhvW0l.jpg

We make short work of it.

RGQEcF6.jpg

Talking to Apsel nets us some moneys, some XP and a dagger with +1 THAC0.

na6N2En.jpg

Going further south, we meet a beautiful blue-skinned woman.

cZLyvjd.jpg

Time to use some unique dialog options based on our class again.

nA0cT5k.jpg

That's right, having a Bard talk to her is worth as much as any other side quest in this town or, in another way, 10 wolves. I ain't complaining.

3wuND1B.jpg

:smug:

lUKqSno.jpg

Time for sudden mistrust.

mS5omVm.jpg

A monster from the 2E manual giving a gift? If I was a player in this P&P campaign, I wouldn't trust it.

lel4SaV.jpg

Blah blah, long story short, she has a family relic of Jhonyn's that she wants us to return to him. We choose to trust her because it'll net us some more XP.

LfJtusp.jpg

Another dialog option worth the entirety of the quest.

KnjSMAy.jpg

Yay!

UZKy43V.jpg

We go up to give him the blade.

E0vIWA2.jpg

That's a strange reason, considering that our party could understand her perfectly fine.

VkV7UvS.jpg

I totally love that you can betray Elisia here AND get all of his worldly posessions just cause. Not gonna do it though, since I don't even think he has anything worth anythng on him.

mGVrtOn.jpg

That's 3600 XP from this one quest, 600 per party member. That almost levels our single classed friends.

D8H8mWX.jpg

Nevermid, here's ANOTHER 1200 XP from this one quest. Bards are awesome.

Here's the character sheets as of now:

aoKRo8t.jpg

Py7ByXL.jpg

These two being so close to second level, I hope neither of them meets with an unfortunate occupational hazard anytime soon.
EgqzgJ4.jpg

TE2AEPt.jpg

4pnkuGi.jpg

SrleSlz.jpg

2H25Q5Z.jpg

We decide that it's in our best interests to get the plot moving a little bit, so we head to Hrothgar's shack to speak with him.

mftZyyY.jpg

Before speaking to him, we decide to try to rob him blind.

xp2cFeu.jpg

Oh. Well, the chest should go better-

AfRCmfz.jpg

:rage:

From here on out, I'm just gonna post dialog screens in spoilers to save room and summarize them at the end:

ubBeyGA.jpg

hxf0fw2.jpg

4SXtjl8.jpg

NAi2YA9.jpg

We decide to agree with him to hurry this along.

95KAAEs.jpg

biHgWG1.jpg

slo7E7K.jpg

7hAM57E.jpg

L9IJ291.jpg

We decide to be charitable and help Hrothgar out. Not like we really had any choice, as the other option just leads to him contracting you anyways.

xUoEg6v.jpg

angsdPQ.jpg

MnZMob6.jpg

DNDihpq.jpg

Just wanted to note that this image has DND in its URL. imgur knows waht's up.

WA4WfPb.jpg

FXP0LyM.jpg

Summary is: Caravan full of supplies hasn't arrived yet, so we're to go south-west of town and investigate.

HOZJrb5.jpg

On the way there, we encounter another quest dispenser, this time for the first combat based side quest in the game, outside of that single wolf.

Long story short: They stole his fish, so they need to die. Justice is a harsh mistress.

1GihfSS.jpg

Alright, here's the goblins! Time to hit them with everything we have from a range, so as to protect our currently thin as paper characters from dying.

myAyhff.jpg

K. Monster takes the first hit. It's from a higher level goblin who has a shortbow. Will he survive the fight long enough to get healing?

raRPbc5.jpg

The answer is no. Our first casualty in a (presumably) long line of them. All stand at attention and give your :salute: to our fallen brother and hero.

hi6Q31I.jpg

We kill the rest of them and take anything of remote value from the corpse of our fallen brother.

kDbMtOL.jpg

At the end of killing them all, Alseiyah (our Bard) gains a level. This means that K. Monster likely would have as well, if not, then from turning the quest in, which we promptly do.

yt6RUXd.jpg

A level up screen for our Bard.

VTe0wMO.jpg

A final look at K. Monster's stats. I actually managed to roll all 13s my first try. He will be missed. :salute:

xqLDYjI.jpg

Giving the kid his fish gives us 1200 more XP.

Next time: A new member joins our ranks to dispense his righteous fury from his short body.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom