Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale on Widescreen Monitor Technical Halp Please

I am sorry for starting yet another Icewind Dale thread but I recently got my hands on the 3-in-1 Boxset of IWD, HoF, and IWD2. My last playthrough of an IWD game was IWD2, so I want to start on the original again, with HoF and TotL installed.

My problem is that I use a widescreen monitor that supports mostly 16:9 resolutions (my desktop being 1920x1080) and the widescreen mod on gibberlings3 (spelling?) manages to let me play in the correct aspect, except that at 1920x1080, everything is too fucking small, and at 1360x768 / 1280x720, the black borders annoy the fuck out of me. I've also tried GPU scaling so there are no black borders on the smaller resolutions but the image turns out blurry. Windowed mode is out for me because I personally detest playing games in that mode, especially for games that have fantastic art and UI design like IWD.

So, if any of you use widescreen (16:9 in particular) for IWD, help me with the settings you use to make the visuals viable?

bhlaab

Erudite
Not sure what you want here, a magic code to make LCD monitors upscale a low resolution picture without any loss in quality?

Personally I just deal with the slightly blurry image or play at native res (sometimes with font size adjustments)

Hmmm yea I think I might be asking too much of it... just thought someone might have some secret link to a cool widescreen UI for infinity engine like ghostdog's thingy for PST. Oh well, I fiddle with the settings a while more.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
halflingbarbarian said:
So, if any of you use widescreen (16:9 in particular) for IWD, help me with the settings you use to make the visuals viable?

I have a 22 inch 16:9 monitor and I don't recall any problems. Things were too small on the highest settings, but at 1440x900 it looked perfect, and I don't remember any black borders, not on the main playing screen at least.

But you may be better off asking at the forum at http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=0e62bab7180ae6f976d0b216e46cdbcf&showforum=136

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
I think I saw a font mod on gibberlings... That should at least help with text

Ruprekt

Scholar
GPU scaling for non-native widscreen resolutions isn't enabled by default. On nvidia cards - at least- you need to enable the custom resolutions menu on the control panel.

- If your display is native 16:9 don't create a 16:10 resolution to scale from (aka don't use 1440/900). Do 1440/810 instead: you should be able to create arbitrary resolutions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom