Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Idea for a feature article.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Volourn said:
What's the big deal here? Soemtimes one thing that two games share is more annoying in one than the other.

Consistency for one, but more importantly it shows how the "mainstream" media itself gets caught up in the hype. Taking everything I say from now on with a bit of salt, here's some examples:

IGN said:
Unfortunately, the quests themselves don't offer much variety, consisting mostly of fetch and kill quests
In other words, they are exactly the same as in Morrowind or, I'm guessing, Oblivion.

IGN said:
If you attack an NPC in a town you're friendly with and choose not to perform a finishing stab once they've hit the ground, they'll completely forget you attacked them even if approached only 10 seconds later.
As opposed to say Oblivions oblivious NPCs? I know I saw I link to a youtube video some time ago, but I can't find it.

IGN said:
There's the occasional "Why don't you just get the hay yourself" or "I'm just going to take the pay you owe" or something like that, but most of the game's characters are flat and boring.
Again, don't know about Oblivion, but if the NPCs are anything like those in Morrowind, they're flat and boring to say the least.

While it's impossible to get past some subjective reasoning as to why such and such feature is good or bad (your examples with NWN2 and KOTOR 1&2), I'm saying that a review should at the very least be consistent in what features they do or do not like. Otherwise we could just all say "nah, didn't like the game. 1/5" and be done with it.

Zomg

Arbiter
I think one of the most annoying things about hype is that it actually does create added value in the product. If you want to talk about Gears of War and share the experience after playing it, or play with your buddies online, well Microsoft (PBUH) has made a wrinkle in the culture for you to shelter under. So maybe in that context Gears of War does deserve a higher rating than the hypothetical Gears of War released on a nil advertising budget that would have been rated two or three points lower and considered background churn.

If you believe that, kill yourself.

Coelacanth

Novice
Ivy Mike said:
IGN said:
If you attack an NPC in a town you're friendly with and choose not to perform a finishing stab once they've hit the ground, they'll completely forget you attacked them even if approached only 10 seconds later.
As opposed to say Oblivions oblivious NPCs? I know I saw I link to a youtube video some time ago, but I can't find it.

Not YouTube, but I think this is something like what you were looking for: http://media.putfile.com/LolJauffre

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom