Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Idea: Solution to Multiple Uber Chars

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Doesn't it get tiring to see Master artisans running around and then logging off to play with his Master Warrior ?

Why not give a player 3 slots for his chars :
PRIMARY : unlimited level cap 100% XP Rate
SECONDARY : medium level cap 75% XP Rate
TERTIARY : low level cap 100% XP Rate

Why so?
This is to reduce the PRIMARY Master Artisan class (IE: Blacksmiths) suffering that gets less business from people who just have multi-chars in their accounts. Why bother playing a class that is easily replacable right?

Ofcourse players can demote PRIMARY slot to SECONDARY if they're bored. XP loss this way is permanent. Let's say Warrior PRIMARY is lvl 50 and Artisan SECONDARY hits his max lvl cap of 30. Shd player choose to drop his PRIMARY and unlock the level cap for his Artisan,he can take a perma-XP Loss on his Warrior.

Result: Warrior drops to Secondary slot at lvl 30 and Artisan gets unlocked level cap, remains at lvl 30.

This wouldn't fix multiple account users, but that's another problem.

Thoughts & Comments?

Nedrah

Erudite
In a comercial MMO enviroment, yes. Cause nobody really gives a fuck anyway. All it would do is encourage people spending money for more than one acc, thus further making the success ingame dependant on RL funds. Don't tell me they wouldn't.

Nedrah

Erudite
Which indeed even does have some upsides (if you live inside the mmo). But it can't really be an encouraged and accepted solution, can it?

Direwolf

Arcane
That's what CCP doing with EVE Online. You can only train one character on one account at the same time. To be able to train two characters you have to pay for a second account. It is annoying, but it is the game and it does bring in more cash for the company.

DarkSign

Erudite
So you're advocating whatever brings in more cash for the company as an ideal?

To me, as long as the game is balanced, players should be able to do whatever the game wants them to do.

Having a crafting character, a combat character, and a mule is acceptable to me...because at its heart an MMO should be balanced. Just because one person has decided to spend more time than you, I wouldnt whine.

As a design ideal, however, I vastly prefer games where time spent doesnt = power. That is to say if a noob had a decent chance of killing a vet, that would be more fun than a vet getting totally decked out and one-shot kiling a new player.

I suppose I just mean that if someone takes the time to become a master crafter (which takes a lot of money and time) then outfits his character with stuff and gets really good at battle...who are you to stop him from having fun?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom