Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ideas for my game that i`ll never finish or start

Archibald

Arcane
As topic states i doubt that i`ll ever do anything with these ideas but i`d still like to have some feadback and to get my logic flaws pointed out with tasteful bashing. So lets start this shit.

Setting and backstory

In near future planet(lets call it Paradise) with water and breathable air is discovered, unfortunately it`s far away. A bunch of volounters are sent to that planet to start colonization, they are put into cryostasis in order to survive the trip, it i`ll take ~100 years(haven`t done the math yet so my numbers here might be off). Back at Earth after 10 or so years everything goes to hell, wars and shit. We have apocalypse. After unspecified ammount of time friendly aliens visit Earth, they give some technology, help to re-create some form of our society and leave. ~200 years pass, there is one government but there are many "free outposts" out there and government is trying to take control of them and everything slowly is going back to hell. Much data has bean lost over the years and technology has taken a bit different direction, nobody knows how many years passed since the big war and remaining recods aren`t reliable due to massive ammount of propaganda pushed during the war. Atmosphere is bleak and sad.

Story of the game

You`re soldier of the government. You`re sent on missions to beat the crap out of rebels. At later part of the game you, with bunch of other soldiers, are sent to investigate what happened to Paradise. How? Aliens left jumpgates technology so that at some point we could reach the stars. Due to your actions during the game "missions" and the motivation might change but all roads will lead to Paradise.

Character creation and development

Race: Human, this wouldn`t be space opera with fuckable aliens, for all you know these mysterious aliens might have bean some conspiracy by surviving nation to reshape the world into their image.

You get to pick your parents by giving them 2 "traits"(Mother: Religious alcocholic, Father: Pedophilic ex-soldier). Then you pick 2 for yourself, obviously number of traits might be changed and this is simply an example. How it would work? You might be an atheist but due to your mother being religious you`ll still know some shit about religion(aka you`ll get some small bonuses for "religion" rolls).

Skills, you pick how many of them you want. Simple example, you pick 5 skills, all your skills will have value of 20, pick 2 skills and they`ll have value of 50, give priority to first one and you`ll have 60-40. Number of skills influences the hard cap of "max value" of a skill, if you have crapload of skills then you`ll never be the best sniper in the world. Xp seperate for each skill. You used stealth a lot in last mission? Ok, you get xp for stealth skill and if enough is gained you`ll incerase its level. But how i`ll increase non-combat skills? Reading and similar activities. No character levels. Yes, in essence this is same shit but with a bit different aproach.

Due to you parents and skills you picked you get one of pre-generated forced reasons why you became a soldier. Father`s son- you want to follow his path, rebelous- you want to influence system from within(soldiers have some influence), poor- pay is good and you`ll support your familty and so on.

At some points at the game you might get turned into cyborg, this would increase and decrease certain stats, further modifications would be possible to alter your stats even further.

Death

No game over. I think that at no point in game you`ll get game over screan. How and why? When you become soldier you belong to government, if you "die" then you`ll be brought back as robocop, you get killed again? You get repaired and sent back. Each modification makes you less human, after certain ammount of deaths you`re just a killing machine, everything besides orders won`t exist to you and game will play out like battle-battle-battle-killed-repaired-battle.

How your death would influence the end of the mission? Every mission would have scripted event. Your guys might have won even without you, or maybe without you they blew it and enemy got away.

Failling mission

It`s not game over. You aren`t fighting some fucking demons from hell who want to destroy everything in their path. Nobody will destroy the world if you failed. And missions aren`t connected much to each other so if you failed to capture some rebels at place A you might still try to catch other rebels and place B. Besides that, failling some missions might lead to different, otherwise unaviable missions.

Your rank

If you win you get bonus points, if you loose then you loose some. If you get killed you loose all points and won`t be able to get more of them.

What does it give you? Normally you have you character and pre-assigned number of soldiers for that map. If you increase you rank to "squad leader", you`ll get to pick for each map bonus 4 soldiers(your butt buddies) which you can develop on your own, if you get enough points to be promoted to "field leader" you get to pick and develop all aviable soldiers.

Death means that you`re not human and therefore unfit to lead anything.

Also, rank will influence the role you`ll play at the end of the game.

Battle system

More like fantasy general than conventional turn based rpg system. Once you get into an area fight starts and everything you do counts as turns.

Missions are big battles, you get to control 10-15 soldiers in each mission in turn based system. Each battle would have turn limit, if you can`t win in, lets say, 15 turns then you loose due to some forced plot development.

Why? AI is usually stupid and in most games it`s possible to simply bait them one by one or get into some stupid situation where you can exploit the system and win due to them being unable to reach you or some other stupid shit. And such limitation forces player to be active, which imo is a good thing.

Other, small scrimisher, like a fight in barracks with some fag who stole your frags wouldn`t have such limitations.

Flow of the game

Think Fallout: BoS but expanded.

Romances

Maybe, solely for the idea that you might get killed and turned into robocop and have some tasteful robo-rape.

C&C

Not much. You`re soldier of the government, you can`t just use your diplomacy to force surrender of enemies. But there would be some situations like letting some women and children run away would give you some reputation among rebels which might lead to rebels trying to contact you while the government wouldn`t be too happy abuot your reputation and you could forget about that field leader position.

Lenght and "replayabillity"

10-15 hours. Key is to give a reason to replay the game. For example some additional plot point if you`re cyborg and 1-2 missions. If you are field leader before certain mission, loose it, then in the next one pick some fast guy who`ll manage to get to point X before the turn limit is reached and unlock additional bonus mission. Shit like that.

So thats about all for now, enjoy flaming me :love:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Archibald said:
Flow of the game

Think Fallout: BoS but expanded.
I think of the goatse guy with diarrhea.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Archibald said:
A bunch of volounters are sent to that planet to start colonization, they are put into cryostasis in order to survive the trip

ARE THE CHICAS HAWT!?

denizsi

Arcane
edit: ok he's troll and I took the bait.

Archibald said:
As topic states i doubt that i`ll ever do anything with these ideas but i`d still like to have some feadback and to get my logic flaws pointed out with tasteful bashing. So lets start this shit.

Setting and backderp

In near future planet(lets call it Paradise) with water and breathable air is discovered, unfortunately it`s far away. A bunch of volounters are sent to that planet to start colonization, they are put into cryostasis in order to survive the trip, it i`ll take ~100 years(haven`t done the math yet so my numbers here might be off).

You are stressing your precious little mind on a number calculation so that the scenario might come across as a little more believable and yet, what the fuck is with the volunteers bullshit? Since we aren't talking about a fantasy sci-fi world 500 years into the future, sending a bunch of guys to start up extra-terrestrial colonization in near future is a huge endeavour that would inevitably be a multi-government sponsored project with top of the line class people from military and scientific communities, some "winning" the opportunity over others, some forced to join and some privileged. "A bunch of volunteers" is an absurd notion.

Back at Earth after 10 or so years everything goes to hell, wars and shit. We have apocalypse. After unspecified ammount of time friendly aliens visit Earth, they give some technology, help to re-create some form of our society and leave. ~200 years pass, there is one government but there are many "free outposts" out there and government is trying to take control of them and everything slowly is going back to hell. Much data has bean lost over the years and technology has taken a bit different direction, nobody knows how many years passed since the big war and remaining recods aren`t reliable due to massive ammount of propaganda pushed during the war. Atmosphere is bleak and sad.

None of that adds up. "One government" against "free outposts" in a post-apoc world. A bit of a stretch. Check out the world map, it's a pretty fucking big place with contintents and shit for one backwater government bullshit to operate, unless you are talking about a limited area in one continent with a complete omission on whatever the fuck might be going on in the rest of the world. Take a look at Fallout world.

Provided, you haven't given details about how the apocalypse came about but for a global "one government" stuff to work, we can assume that the society pulled their shit together, recovered a good deal of data from before and resurrected major industries so it just might be possible in theory. Otherwise, forget about it.

Also, propaganda making it harder and confusing to set a chronology? How does that work, propaganda regarding the current time during a war? Details please, otherwise it sounds like... well let's not break your morale just yet.

Herpology of the game

You`re soldier of the government. You`re sent on missions to beat the crap out of rebels. At later part of the game you, with bunch of other soldiers, are sent to investigate what happened to Paradise. How? Aliens left jumpgates technology so that at some point we could reach the stars. Due to your actions during the game "missions" and the motivation might change but all roads will lead to Paradise.

Now, is it the jumpgate technology the aliens left, or "artifacts", eg. self-sustaining devices in working order that maybe only need a key or something to start immediately working? Because if it's the former, it most likely isn't worth shit since your backwater government can't even set a chronology and tell the date.

You get to pick your parents by giving them 2 "traits"(Mother: Religious alcocholic, Father: Pedophilic ex-soldier). Then you pick 2 for yourself, obviously number of traits might be changed and this is simply an example. How it would work? You might be an atheist but due to your mother being religious you`ll still know some shit about religion(aka you`ll get some small bonuses for "religion" rolls).

And if you didn't pick a religious treati you won't know shit about religion? How does being an atheist work, btw. Pros, cons, please.

Due to you parents and skills you picked you get one of pre-generated forced reasons why you became a soldier.

Having a religious alcoholic bitch for a mother and a pedo father sure is a prestigious thing to have in this world. Perhaps the reason they are like that is because their genes were so special, they got caught up in special overdrive. ZOMG!

Father`s son- you want to follow his path, rebelous- you want to influence system from within(soldiers have some influence), poor- pay is good and you`ll support your familty and so on.

Fight da Powah! LOL, what the fuck are you talking about? Influencing from within a system that has been become a global hegemony in 200 years. In a setting like that, the average person should be fucking lucky if he gets spit on by single government official in his entire life.

At some points at the game you might get turned into cyborg, this would increase and decrease certain stats, further modifications would be possible to alter your stats even further.

Death

No game over. I think that at no point in game you`ll get game over screan. How and why? When you become soldier you belong to government, if you "die" then you`ll be brought back as robocop, you get killed again? You get repaired and sent back. Each modification makes you less human, after certain ammount of deaths you`re just a killing machine, everything besides orders won`t exist to you and game will play out like battle-battle-battle-killed-repaired-battle.

:M :retarded: :M

Cyborgs and shit, pretty impressive feats for a global backwater government that can't read dates.

Ok, it goes just worse so I'll stop. Honest observation: this shit reminds me of overambitious retarded modders who want to make the awesomest game but doesn't know shit and starts doing these shitty drawings, maybe makes a few levels that won't ever be used anywhere and starts writing down the basics of his mod like "Ok, here are the guns: gun1 gun2, gun3 and here are the special powers: powerA, powerB, powerC, and here is the story: the awesomest thing fuck yeah!" and dream away in wishful thinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom