Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you are getting a headache while playing F4..

ortucis

Prophet
One hour in this game and I started getting a headache, forcing me to just turn off the computer. Felt like sitting through Half Life 2 all over again..

Do this:
- Increase FOV to 95 at least (in 1080p)
- Turn Adaptive Vsync ON
- Switch to third person outside combat.
- Set the Pipboy color to grey (all sliders in same position, middle)

That Peeboy color bit is the most important one. This game has some of THE worst lighting. Basically, blinding lights in every corner which wash out the colors. The contrast will end up giving you eye strain and a headache. The worst part is that you are forced to use the light on your Pipboy a lot because of dark areas underground and that light is just blindingly, headache inducing bright. So setting it to grey lowers the brightness AND at the same time neutralizes the colors near you a bit. There is no in-game brightness and gamma setting (maybe those features were too last-gen for their "UI team").

You can use SweetFX too but I can't be arsed to do that. I don't think I will be able to sit through much more of the game for a lot of reasons..

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't really experienced headache, but, good advice, bro.

Disabling the hineous "Godrays" helps too, as that feature is effectively the new Bloom. I turned those off and the game looks way more tolerable already. I like to keep my pipboy on green (a kinda dim shade of "pure" green, something like 0,190,0), for some reason (reason being: reminds me of those old-school green monochrome monitors, which in fact are also the monitors used in the game itself).

I'll try that adaptive vsynch thing, see if it takes away some of the insufferable lights from the game.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
my headache from fallout 3 never went away wat do i do

9781.jpg

Play Fallout New vegas.
Nah, now seriously. Play Fallout instead.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I have experienced a very similar problem. My solution was to avoid dialogue with npcs at all costs.

ortucis

Prophet
Disabling the hineous "Godrays" helps too, as that feature is effectively the new Bloom.

I kinda like them, I think they were in AssCreed 4 too? But setting them higher than "Low" tanks the frame-rate.

It's funny that I played Witcher 3 at pretty much max settings (mixed settings but most were way higher than consoles) on my 660Ti and game ran at 45-50 FPS in most areas, which is acceptable to me (45+). Fallout 4 on the other hand looks just average. I have the textures maxed out, including every other setting and am getting 45-55 fps, but the game looks way worse even maxed out compared to Witcher 3. F4 does not look like the game that should be taxing GPU's like this.

AAA game that sold 12 million copies:
dClsHTY.jpg

ortucis

Prophet
Look at the flat surfaces near it, not the glitch. Glitch is just funny.

PS: Flat and empty surfaces with no details, now that I remembered. That's why I mentioned Witcher 3 as well. That game had amazing detail, especially in small villages you visit. The area where I am is supposed to be destroyed looks so fucking clean, after being nuked and being overrun by Ghouls for years. That's just awful level design.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Your brain is rejecting the disease you're inflicting upon it. Listen to its warnings before you suffer permanent brain damage.

ortucis

Prophet
Your brain is rejecting the disease you're inflicting upon it. Listen to its warnings before you suffer permanent brain damage.

It's too late for me. I actually enjoy it now, as a step above Borderlands, not as a step above New Vegas or first two Fallout's.

Meh. Maybe they'll add the RPG elements back in Fallout 5. They got the combat right this time around, can't possibly make it worse in the next game.. right? Right.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's too late for me. I actually enjoy it now, as a step above Borderlands, not as a step above New Vegas or first two Fallout's.

Meh. Maybe they'll add the RPG elements back in Fallout 5. They got the combat right this time around, can't possibly make it worse in the next game.. right? Right.

Nothing personal but I'm almost bursting with rage. Everyone is saying that combat is allright but in reality is the opposite.

Play any shooter released in the last 10 years and then compare it with Fallout 4. Play cs:go, cod, dying light, even fucking watch dogs. All of them are better.

Fallout 4 combat is clunky. Animations are horrific. You cannot aim shit because everything is jumping around. On Survival everybody has eagle eyes. The mobs are not giving proper feedback on hit. Headshots don't matter. What the fuck.

ortucis

Prophet
Nothing personal but I'm almost bursting with rage. Everyone is saying that combat is allright but in reality is the opposite.

Play any shooter released in the last 10 years and then compare it with Fallout 4. Play cs:go, cod, dying light, even fucking watch dogs. All of them are better.

Fallout 4 combat is clunky. Animations are horrific. You cannot aim shit because everything is jumping around. On Survival everybody has eagle eyes. The mobs are not giving proper feedback on hit. Head-shots don't matter. What the fuck.

I'll probably post a video of combat (or whatever I Shadow-played..) to show why the combat is just fun. I think it's the combination of sound effects and how weapons just do a lot of damage on enemies like they should (like a shotgun, which is my favorite in this game).

I played Borderlands 2 for like 50 hrs recently. It's fun but if I compare it to Fallout 4 (both being "lite-RPG" now), I would say that F4 combat is more fun so far. I actually enjoy blowing apart enemies bits by bits in F4 while in Borderlands 2 I just don't feel the impact of the hits on them. Weapons in B2 not only look like plastic toys (horrible models similar to Quake 1 weapons) but there is no "oomph" or impact when firing them. Hard to explain I guess.

Anyway, in the end different people will prefer different type of combat. F4 combat works for me and I am mostly playing the game like a shooter, even using VATS for the first time (at least unlike Fallout 3, enemies can still hit you during VATS, not really turn-based but that's all you are getting out of Bethesda).

Also, I think most people are comparing F4 combat to Fallout 3, not to COD or CS. Most of Bethesda fan-base will never touch those shooters (the reason why VATS exists) so the "combat is still shit" viewpoint from Counter-strike fan-base means jack to majority of the fans.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you are to listen to certain people, NV has better shooting than most shooters.
Certain mentally deranged people.

Also, if you get a headache while playing FO4 it's because you're stupid and play the game in the first place. There.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Fallout 4 is shit and I never played it.

NV is also shit btw...

Sykar

Arcane

It's probably too late...

If you are getting a headache while playing F4..

play Age of Decadence instead.
And transfer the pain from your head to your butt?

Some people pay money for that kind of entertaiment:lol:

Why pay when you can have :butthurt: for free?

pippin

Two Codexers One FO4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom