Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN impressions - Guild Wars

Sol Invictus

Erudite
http://pc.ign.com/articles/608/608675p1.html

The first thing that needs to be said is that Guild Wars is not an MMO. There's a lot of misunderstanding going around, but GW is an online RPG that blends elements from Diablo-style online multiplayer, while integrating some MMO elements. The cities and certain dungeon entrances are basically hubs, but once you exit those areas for the wide expanses of desert, rolling hills, and snowy mountains, you'll be flying solo, most of the time. You can teleport instantly back to a town, even during combat, which is nice. And you can also log off at any point. It's kind of annoying to watch yourself die as you answer the phone or go to answer the door, and GW gets rid of this. When you log back on, however, you'll be back at one of the hubs, where people mill around, doing the typical MMO thing--chatting, emoting, and trading.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Behold, stupidity from Blue's News:
When in doubt ...consult the Source. We're going to use facts here, not opinions, as the last poster suggested. Go here first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG

Honestly I think the whole problem is that players have only ever known one kind of MMORPG, that being the mold of Everquest, and so people automatically assume that if a game isn't just like that, well then it must not be an MMORPG. It really helps if you break it down.

Massively Multiplayer Online = Thousands of players simultaneously playing in the game world, which is persistent and generally rather large.

GW: Check.

Role Playing Game = Creating a character that grows and changes over time, can undertake quests, and engage in socialization with NPCs and other players.

GW: Check.

Yeah, I think Guild Wars qualifies. That's fact.

GW doesn't have a persistent world with thousands of players playing simultaniously and affecting each other with their actions, therefore it isn't an MMO. What a fucking moron, 'fact'. Yeah, right. More like bullshit.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
How hard is it to get it through people's heads that GW is a freaking online action-rpg, not a mmog? It's basically 3D diablo, minus SP. It's like calling Diablo II battle.net a MMO.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The problem is that virtually all multiplayer RPGs are MMOs, and people have come to think in those categories.
Maybe it's time for the Codex to rename the MMORPG forum MPRPG forum.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The problem is that virtually all multiplayer RPGs are MMOs"

Yeah. BG is a MMORPG. So is IWD. Yeah, whatever.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So how is it Massively Multiplayer, fnord? There's no persistent world and there's definitely no massively multiplayer gameplay.

That's like saying Bridget Jones Diary is an action/adventure movie, except there's no action or adventure, but it does have a whole lot of drama, monologues and romance. But it's still an action/adventure movie. Yeah. :roll:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I think one of the points of discord is the massive aspect. While it would seem that all players don't interact which each other the same they interact in other MMOs - and instead have those specific instances of player groups which do not meet with others - there's some question about if the term should still apply. My admitedly poor guess would be the categorization would depend on what is being considered as representative of 'massive': a massive number of players only, or a massive number of players that can interact with each other same as in other MMOs.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If we're talking about massive number of players then CounterStrike, Diablo II and Warcraft 3 would have to be considered MMOs.

MarFish

Liturgist
Meh, played it for a few days now, boooring. Nothing than a cleverly disguised diablo clone with a few improvements and a long list of non improvements such as missing single player campaign, online authentification, wait-5-minutes to play a new instance and so on.

Not sure if Exitum gets cash to hype the game and give it free rides on the front page, but he could also just have a weird sense of what makes a good game, like having to keep a button pressed to attack or so.

Next.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Meh, played it for a few days now, boooring. Nothing than a cleverly disguised diablo clone with a ...
wait-5-minutes to play a new instance and so on.
Bullshit. If you bought the box you wouldn't be waiting 5 minutes to play a new instance, would you? Streaming the game off a 56k is really your fault - don't blame the game for having a crappy connection and not buying the box.

Cleverly disguised Diablo clone, that plays... very little like Diablo. Has no skill tree. Isn't really level-based, and in fact, plays quite a lot like Magic the Gathering. I suppose CounterStrike is a cleverly disguised Fallout clone.

few improvements and a long list of non improvements such as missing single player campaign, online authentification
It says on the box that it's a multiplayer game, not a single player game. Waaaa waaaaaa C&C Generals isn't an FPS I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Not sure if Exitum gets cash to hype the game and give it free rides on the front page, but he could also just have a weird sense of what makes a good game, like having to keep a button pressed to attack or so.
Free rides on the front page? We don't even cover Guild Wars.

Next.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Exitium said:
Bullshit. If you bought the box you wouldn't be waiting 5 minutes to play a new instance, would you? Streaming the game off a 56k is really your fault - don't blame the game for having a crappy connection and not buying the box.
Actually, I don't think 56k even causes that level of loading difficulty.
I partied up with a 56k-er today, and they didn't have any massive loading delays like that. Im not certain what MarFish is on about.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
MarFish is probably lying. I've never heard of anyone having massive loading delays considering how very little there is to stream and update. The installation is 2gb, and covers pretty much all the areas in the game, so there's very little, to no loading time.

Psilon

Erudite
...Aaaaand that guy obviously hasn't left the newbie zones yet. Level 7? Talking about Ashford Abbey, the Catacombs, and Ascalon City? I'd be very surprised if he's joined the main game so far.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
"The problem is that virtually all multiplayer RPGs are MMOs"

Yeah. BG is a MMORPG. So is IWD. Yeah, whatever.
They are singleplayer RPGs with a multiplayers component. Is Doom3 a multiplayer game? Retard.

BG anyway, I don't know IWD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom