Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm sure TOW2 will suck again

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Because it is made by a bunch of idiots.

Needless to say that I am already pretty bitter because I followed TOW (Theatre of War) between 2003 and 2006, when everyone was hopeful this would be the spiritual successor of Close Combat and / or Total War in WW2. But didnt we all think that maybe it was the fault of the evil publisher and that all would be better with Battlefront?

The TOW PR guy posts a lot on Battlefront.com. Guess what he had to say about the map size:

Map format was changed, but map size is the same, 2x2km.

They had their hands on the code but went for the same fucking football fields again.

He also wrote the following:

Pathfinding system is one of the main CPU power hogs in the game, and with 4x4 maps it will need to calculate 4 times more cells. Currently its a no-go, but hopefully we'll find solution later.

I told him I am tired of hearing this, and that for instance OFP already had realistically sized maps back 2001. In response to that he called me "a know it all with post count of 7". What an idiot. And to my remark that they could learn a lot on simulating battlefield from Take Command 2nd Manassas, he replied the following:

I really hope ToW will not look like 2nd Manassas since graphics are obviously not the one of the strong points of this game

There you got it. Graphics are their main concern. They wasted 4 fucking years on TOW, modelling tank model after tank model and forgetting about the engine, pissing off god knows how many publishers, and with TOW 2 they still have no clue.

Which brings me to the developer diaries:

Developer diary, part 1 - What shall we do?

We started to make plans for the sequel to Theatre of War even before the patch for the original game was released. It took us a long time to decide what the sequel should be about. Should there be a sequel at all? The reaction of the press and the fans confirmed that everyone really wanted to see a Part Two! But what should the game be about? The answer was given by the wargame fans community.

For an instance hope flickered up again we're going to see what tactical combat can look with todays hardware. With the graphics of TOW, and a campaign like Close Combat 2 or Panzer General, a community like SH3 and modding like the TW series.

First of all, there are palms in Africa. Never underestimate the aesthetic attraction of palms! :)

Russian humor? One round of laughter, please. Completely unfunny.

Secondly - and more seriously ;) - while some some people seem to think that the Allies were merely resting in North Africa and that there was very little combat, this is in fact wrong. In reality a lot of important operations took place in that area, among them the Axis forces receiving their very first significant defeat!

Another proof that this game is made by imbeciles. Only a moron would make such a remark and think people at Battlefront didn't know what a major theatre North Africa was.

The desert war allows us to present a brand new environment and a whole new set of visual effects over the first part. And we really wanted to create something truly innovative and different from the first project.

And what better way is there to do this than brand new graphics with the same shitty gameplay!

he answer was given by the wargame fans community.

That was how the article started. Needless to say there was not a single bit of proof for it in this piece of shit, or any useful information, except:

Thanks to smoke-screens (as well as other new features of TOW2, such as battles inside buildings, mountains and many other innovations) Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943 will require unique battle tactics in comparison with the original Theatre of War. Us them and you'll defeat the enemy with fewer losses!

I know that you had to include enterable buildings because you forgot them in TOW. I know that infantry can use smoke screens. I've seen the mountains too. How many times more does it need to be said that there are three fucking features?

mountains and many other innovations

mountains are innovations now?

Fenril

Scholar
Well man you obviously tried your best to "save" that game. I guess they just want it to fail, the fucking idiots.

:rollseyes;

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
I haven't played TOW yet, your comments make it seem like I shouldn't! How did the first one compare to Combat Missions?

Burning Bridges

To be fair, you should at least get the demo. Personally I find it soulless compared with e.g. CC2, you fight until everyone's dead how lame is that? This is what you get when ppl with a RTS mindset think they can develop a tactical wargame. Same goes for Pacific Storm.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The only redeeming factor TOW had is that they actually animated the soldiers climbing in and out of vehicles. Including them opening hatches and all!

Shame everything else was utter shite.

Burning Bridges

I think it is a shame, a lot of wasted potential. The vehicles, soldiers, landscape and the UI look so great, unfortunately their ideas for the engine were major fail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom