Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Ryzer

Arcane
Has anyone tried that skyrim ultima modlist thing? Any good?

>Overturned bloom
>A kimono in a Nordic country
>has a stick that shoots laser beam and explosions
> rolling mechanic taking upon Dark Souls
> mobs taken from Dark Souls
This modpack is a mix of everything and makes absolutely no-sense like a big fat hamburger.

deama

Prophet

>Overturned bloom
This modpack is a mix of everything and makes absolutely no-sense like a big fat hamburger.

Hamburgers can be pretty good though.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Most of the hardcore requiem community are playing Lalaland these days. Beautiful yet brutal. The most fun I've had in Skyrim in years.
If you play, make sure you go into your abilities as soon as you start a game and select your birthsign and blessing. To join you gotta join the discord and look for the pinned message in the Lalaland channel.
Interesting, why that mod specifically?
Has a focus on balance and doesn't try to change the game into something it isn't, doesn't do any unnecessary immershun shit, usually incorporates latest versions of 3bftweaks which makes the game much more balanced and interesting than vanilla requiem, has pretty good graphics if you have the computer to run it and a lightweight version of the list without all the fancy graphics for better performance. Only thing I wish it had more of out of the box is some of the better content mods, but its been a while since I play skyrim so idk how much lalaland has changed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

>Overturned bloom

how does a hamburger make no sense

it is one of the most simple foods in the world

wintersun vs gods and worship. which is better and why. discuss.

jokes aside, i'm planning on hurting myself with this game again (because i just can't seem to make witcher 3 ee redux mod work), i've used wintersun last time with excellent results. i'm going to go for a heavy armor destruction mage, perhaps with a bit of summoning. besides, i thought i'd worship hermaeus mora, which sounds mildly entertaining and rather useful in both mods, but the "artifact hunt" in g&w could be a deal breaker. if it sends me to look for "leather gloves of +5% pickpocketing" it's utterly worthless. has anyone tried that?

edit: let's be useful for once.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22506
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/45011

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This looks pretty cool:

It really ends up highlighting just how "toy sized" the open world of Skyrim really is
And imo it proves that having a significant amount of negative space isn't inherently bad level design
Specially in games with emphasis on the exploration of the physical world, a sense of scale is important for immersion and inspiring a feeling of wonder

Quillon

Arcane
And imo it proves that having a significant amount of negative space isn't inherently bad level design
Specially in games with emphasis on the exploration of the physical world, a sense of scale is important for immersion and inspiring a feeling of wonder
We see how shit Starfield is with more space(no pun). They should stick with a size they can chew on for a bethesda style gaym. For other types of games it makes much more sense to have yuuge maps, ArmA for example; where space is used more as a tool.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The problem with negative space is that you're going to get a huge backlash after trying to implement it. People are going to complain until the end of days about "why are you wasting my time forcing me to run everywhere why is everything so far awayyyyy".

Then if you cave in and provide fast travel points that relegates the negative empty space as being utterly pointless so you're right back to where you started.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wasted space really doesn't fit with the type of game Bethesda makes these days. Daggerfall being vast was fine because of the roguelike (or "roguelite", whatever) nature of the game, but in subsequent games any non-interactive/generic NPC, and any building you can't enter and that has no quest-related content, is just deadweight on the game.

It's already kind of a pain in the ass to find the relatively sparse meaningful content in these games anyway, hence people's problems with Starfield. Not sure how it could be handled if the cities were even more full of superfluous stuff with the usual three or four quests hidden away somewhere in there.

New Vegas was probably the best at showing how to distribute content over a map in this style of game; there's one or two pointless buildings and a couple of assholes just named "Settler" or "Gambler" who do nothing, but most people you meet are named and interactive, and most buildings have some reason for you to enter them.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
King Crispy real talk, how many hours in Skyrim by now?
Steam says 363 hours. :lol:

In my defense, that's one entire playthrough on vanilla then about 75% completion on Wildlander, which still counts on Steam played hours for Skyrim.

Edit: Wait, that might also include about 50% completion in Enderal which is another Skyrim "mod" (total conversion, actually).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
People are going to complain until the end of days about "why are you wasting my time forcing me to run everywhere why is everything so far awayyyyy".
It's already kind of a pain in the ass to find the relatively sparse meaningful content in these games anyway
Those are problems that can be solved by quest design, level design and movement mechanics

Here's imo some simple solutions for a location of that size:
Quest design - have the quests and their locations interlinking with each other
Level design - have the quests in Solitude hapenning mainly along the main street of the city
Movement - let players ride horses in the city, have an elevator conneting the docks to some storage area in the city

I can agree that in end there could still be alot of negative space that has no meaningful content going on, but I don't see it as particularly bad
Locations don't have to be quest piñatas and not every generic npc and building has to have complex interactions

Gahbreeil

Learned
The problem with negative space is that you're going to get a huge backlash after trying to implement it. People are going to complain until the end of days about "why are you wasting my time forcing me to run everywhere why is everything so far awayyyyy".

Then if you cave in and provide fast travel points that relegates the negative empty space as being utterly pointless so you're right back to where you started.
Crispy, do you remember Baldur's Gate?

As long as the map is a long winding road with areas around it, the dream is not toooo faaaaar awaaaaay.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't know why I like to play Skyrimjob during the winter/holidays. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure...
Same with Daggerfall and Morrowind (especially Bloodmoon with lovely Solstheim). Those are NOT guilty pleasures at all, those are prestigious games.

rotflcoptering so hard i'm gonna cry. after years even the best mods weren't being updated, bethesda drops a half a giga patch, breaking pretty much everything and, according to some complaints, even the base game in the process.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
rotflcoptering so hard i'm gonna cry. after years even the best mods weren't being updated, bethesda drops a half a giga patch, breaking pretty much everything and, according to some complaints, even the base game in the process.
And its a complete stealth update. The steam page does not even mention it, the last entry on it is from September 2022. Starfield must have been a real bomb if they are yet again coming back to their Skyrim cow.

mastroego

Arcane
insane

I probably have already deactivated auto-updating for Skyrim, though, and I should even have a backup copy of the working exe
no plan to update my mod setup at least for a good while....

Starfield must have been a real bomb if they are yet again coming back to their Skyrim cow.
and yet this sounds like a completely suicide move. mods scene was solidified, lists were well known, a lot of the most famous and used mods haven't been updated in years and have been tagged "done and concluded" by the authors themselves, who often even removed comments sections because there wasn't anything else to be said. i strongly doubt they're willing to rummage through shit again.

purupuru

Learned
The issue with this fix is any new plugins, not just ESL-flagged plugins, can now be made with form IDs in the 0x0-0x799 range. If an old SkyrimSE.exe, such as downgraded, VR, or GOG versions of the game, loads these new plugins, the game will immediately crash. There are no mods that use these new form IDs yet. The concern is that future mod makers might make plugins using form IDs in this range, which will not be backwards compatible with downgraded, VR, or GOG versions of the game.
Bethesda also incremented the plugin version from 1.7 to 1.71. Any plugin made with this version specified in the header will also crash any older version exes such as VR, GOG, and downgraded Steam SkyrimSE.exe. No mods are using this version number yet. However this is the version number of the the updated free Fishing Creation's plugin (ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm), and as such, running older exes with the up-to-date Fishing Creation will immediately crash the game.
https://old.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods...ated_information_about_the_new_skyrim_update/
So not only does this update break mods (again), it has the potential to break all downgraded copies in the future. Yes it is technically a bug fix but it's 7 years too late.
In hindsight the whole skyrim department should have been sacked or at least repurposed years ago. There is no real work to be done and they still need to look busy so they just break stuff instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom