Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima In Ultima 5 pc version, I found all armor was totally useless? Is it a common problem?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Then you either went Full Autism while playing the game

This is quite possible

This reminds me, when I was working on making a profile for the game for Grid Cartographer, I found out that there are two versions of the main captive exe file, one that works well with most Dosbox versions, and one that doesn't, so there are definitely two different versions out there, I can check when I'm back home

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
After a very quick check (will do a closer examination today) I'm seeing that I have at least two versions of Captive for MS-DOS: One from the original floppies, and one from somewhere online.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
okay, the two versions of the cappo.exe I have, with size and sha checksum
the first one works fine until dosbox 0.63, but gets badly mouse pointer flickering in versions afterwards
the second one runs fine in later dosbox versions

73379 bytes
sha
6cc9f246d4e3712846c5809bba7eba28ebfc1411

73575 bytes
sha
f045a01980dc7e86b390d17809bc97f23352fbd0

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
My floppy disks have the 73379-byte cappo.exe (dated Oct 7th 1992) and one of my internet sources identifies that version as v1.06.

All of my other internet sources have the 73575-byte cappo.exe. My current hypothesis is that this is a later version than the above, but I'm gonna have to fire up and play both of them to check for sure.

What is the source of your sha checksums?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Alright, first test is done.

I booted up 73379-byte Cappo on DOSBox 0.74. Intro ran fine, weird freezing takes place if I click the options tab, otherwise game (seemingly) runs fine. I named the four droids 001, 002, 003 and 004, landed on Butre, walked around outside and killed seven Brontosaurii and collected their loot (Protip: To avoid having to step into the water to collect the gold, attack from the North or the West, as the gold always seems to drop in the NW corner of the square that the monster occupied.) Total loot was 987 gold, and the XP values of each character was 74, 31, 47 and 74, respectively.

I then booted up the 73575-byte Cappo. Intro ran fine, no weird freezing, game runs quite smoothly. I gave the droids the same names and repeated the exact same steps as above. Total loot was 1313 gold and the XP values were identical except 001 and 004 had 71 XP.

Conclusion based on test: Captive v1.06 clearly deals out too little gold, but it seems it hands out more XP instead, which is curious. I'll test this further.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom