Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - first person adventure from MachineGames and Todd Howard

Häyhä

Arbiter
Not a fan of Troy Baker voicing Indy. I am just tired of his voice at this point.

I didn't even realize he's voicing Indy. That's how versatile he is.

To be fair, you don't realize a lot of things, it comes with being a retarded sheep who gets his views of the world and opinions from the man on the TV.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Random people on YT who could mimic Ford's voice. They never talent scout or whatever it's called, the big devs.
Too late to edit the post, since a few people already agreed, but I disagree slightly with myself. That Han Solo impression on YT from fifteen years ago was cringier than I remembered. Kid smiled too much and made the character look too into himself. Still, devs and movie studios should talent scout more. It's how stars were born for decades, one of the ways. Also way cheaper. A known actor will demand more money.

ind33d

Learned
Should be a Harrison Ford Cinematic Universe game. Where is my level for Roman Polanski's "Frantic"?

Elttharion

Learned
sdd0meoszfdc1.jpeg

sser

Arcane
Developer
The developer interviews, the voice over performances, it all sounds tired and uninspired. Also first person is the wrong approach, its terrible for platforming, for melee combat, for traversal and exploration, the only advantage is for gunfights.

CALL OF JUEAREZ PROVED OTHERWISE, BUCKO.

CLAP YOUR EYES ON THIS:

911 Jumper

Educated
I despise double barrel surnames. These days it's usually a sign that the father is a feminist or the individual himself (or herself) believes in equality. Double barrel surnames must make form filling and spelling out your full name, over the phone for example, even more annoying, but hey, at least you can tell everyone that you and/or your parents are wonderfully progressive.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Everybody already knows that it will be "made for modern audiences." I wonder if statements like this are more for shareholders or consumers, because the vast majority of consumers probably don't have a problem with what Indiana Jones was and don't need to hear about the message.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I noticed during the preview they didn't dare to say the word " nazis" but instead something like "those guys", and apparently on close ups, people have noticed they have erased the swastikas from the german medals that could be seen in close ups (and are otherwise extremely detailed).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Why do you guys talk about this goyslop when Tomb Raider exists?
Isn't this the first Indy game since Desktop Adventures that isn't stealing extensively from Tomb Raider? I mean, that's not necessarily a good thing since this looks mediocre, but it isn't just slapping an Indy coat of paint on an already existing game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
"... and the Great Circle" is peak stoned 2 am dorm talk

"What if like, you drew lines connecting all the sites, and they made a circle. Around the WORLD, man."

ce032a2ac38ddcfd-600x338.jpg

like ffs, at least make it an interesting shape. a pentagon or something! tim cain's over here representing charisma with polygons, he coulda done better than a gd circle

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
I noticed during the preview they didn't dare to say the word " nazis" but instead something like "those guys", and apparently on close ups, people have noticed they have erased the swastikas from the german medals that could be seen in close ups (and are otherwise extremely detailed).
Thats so cowardly, especially considering they were pretty open with it with the nuwolfenstein games. Maybe thats only for the promo shit though because some countries like Germany are strict about it. Perhaps the game in civilized countries will star nazi emblems.

All in all the game seems like incline compared to slop like Uncharted, so theres that at least.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

"What if like, you drew lines connecting all the sites, and they made a circle. Around the WORLD, man."

like ffs, at least make it an interesting shape. a pentagon or something! tim cain's over here representing charisma with polygons, he coulda done better than a gd circle
Have you ever seen an indiana jones movie? This about the level those movies operate on, and it's great. Temple of doom was literally about some orientalist garbage about a magical stone that causes fertility in the region. Shit is Kino.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
This looks really good. Was really happy to hear that you'll be able to choose to stealth at least some parts of the game, and the first person fist-fighting looks fun.

That said, I don't trust these people because I thought all their Wolfenstein games sort of sucked balls (though at this point I can't even remember why, I just found them profoundly boring for some reason), so cautious optimism is the name of the game.
The melee combat looked like actual scenes from the movies with Indy just grabbing someone by the collar and punching them straight into the face 5 times.

I think Todd Howard being executive producer may have actually been a huge boon to this game specifically, it keeps a kind of cohesive grand creative vision that the devs arent allowed to just stray away from. And after how much the new Indy movie flopped I think that Lucasarts is quite hellbent on this game actually doing well.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Have you ever seen an indiana jones movie? This about the level those movies operate on, and it's great. Temple of doom was literally about some orientalist garbage about a magical stone that causes fertility in the region. Shit is Kino.
yeah i love the original trilogy, but you aren't really equating raiders of the lost ark, temple of doom, or the last crusade to a... circle, are you? the shape a 2 yr child learns to draw?

of course the plots were handwave handwave occultism handwave, but at least they were aiming higher than baby's first geometric shape!

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

yeah i love the original trilogy, but you aren't really equating raiders of the lost ark, temple of doom, or the last crusade to a... circle, are you? the shape a 2 yr child learns to draw?

of course the plots were handwave handwave occultism handwave, but at least they were aiming higher than baby's first geometric shape!
You realize that the circle in this game is literally a reference to IRL leylines? Which is a pretty old "history conspiracy theory" that various monuments were all built on these magical leylines to get special powers or whatever. That is in line with the movies who are about various mythical "conspiracy" artifacts as well. That's always been the theme. The fact your mind just jumped to "lel it's just a circle?" is a bit baffling to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

You realize that the circle in this game is literally a reference to IRL leylines? Which is a pretty old "history conspiracy theory" that various monuments were all built on these magical leylines to get special powers or whatever. That is in line with the movies who are about various mythical "conspiracy" artifacts as well. That's always been the theme. The fact your mind just jumped to "lel it's just a circle?" is a bit baffling to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line
Not to mention that it's pretty obviously just a simple excuse to have Indy actually go across ALL of the world for once, instead of being focused around one specific region like MENA, india, or Latin america.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom