Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie/Niche RPG's available for purchase?

getter77

Augur
Essentially, what I'm looking for is to get caught up, at least somewhat, on the available indie RPGs and such that I'd be able to purchase and download online or as a physical product. It seems like I keep stumbling randomly onto them week to week now despite them having been out there for months now. Here's where I'm at so far and I'd apppreciate and help and perhaps impressions. Only possible sticking point is that I'm credit card only and won't deal with paypal or some such.

Just bought fairly recently:

-Space Rangers 2 + Expansion on that $3.99 Impulse weekend deal
-Legerdemain
-Teudogar
-Kamyran's Eye 2
-Lifetime License for Unreal World

Quite looking forward to buying:

-Darghul
-Knights of the Chalice
-Age of Decadence
-Dungeon Delvers

Not sure what to think about:

-Depths of Peril
-Kivi's Underworld
-DROG RPG
-Demise: Ku'Tan

Thanks for taking the time to read and have a good day.

Have you gone through the sticky at the top of the page? As with any thread, you'll have to wade through a bunch of garbage, but there's bound to be some ideas in there.

Here are a few others off the top of my head:

- Prelude to Darkness - if you can find it; I think I've got the install somewhere on my machine
- Nahlakh (or however its spelled) - there's a couple Tom Proudfoot games with impossible to spell names
- Roguelikes - ADOM, Gearhead, Nethack; there's dozens, probably even hundreds, of these. If you don't care about graphics, the depth of gameplay is almost unparalleled. Unreal World could be counted as a Roguelike, although, as I recall, that's more about survival. Most roguelikes are predominantly killing and equipping
- Dwarf Fortress - more like an empire building game at this point, though; there is an alternate way to play, which looks more like a Roguelike
- Mount and Blade - I haven't looked at this one in a while, and its probably a bit of a stretch to call an RPG, but its quite a lot of fun.
- Fate - an action RPG

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Get Geneforge. If you don't like the graphics, get Geneforge 4, which doesn't require too much knowledge of the rest of the series.

Also get Eschalon: Book 1.

getter77

Augur
Hmm...

-I probably should've mentioned that I tried Eschalon awhile back and somehow it just didn't click with me. Considering the quality of the game, I know it SHOULD...but....gah, I dunno. I might be defective.

-Geneforge/SpiderWeb...I need to look into these again.

Flux's stuff: I already have most of those. Wasn't Prelude to Darkness left in an unfinished/messed state? What I was getting at was stuff available for specific purchase in terms of supporting them...so freeware/"abandonware" isn't quite what I meant. I did wade through the topic, I'm even in it as possibly one of the worst first postings anybody has had on here towards the end of it---several links are dead, things not to where I can tell if it'd be good to me or not, etc.

Any thoughts as to the ones I listed above as unsure about? I appreciate all the help folks, keep them coming.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't like Eschalon I either, bought it at a discount but never completed it.

Demise didn't get good reviews here, I have the game but haven't tried it yet.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Demise didn't get good reviews here, I have the game but haven't tried it yet.
Its kinda sorta average dungeon grinder, except that its shareware prototype, Mordor, is absolutely the same but plays 20 times as fast. The only reason to choose Demise over Mordor is the dubious "eye candy" the former has.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I quite enjoyed Demise, and felt it had enough changes to make it feel a lot more alive and oranic than Mordor for me. It's a great time sink.

getter77

Augur
With Mordor, I'm guessing I'd be better served to keep tabs on that giant free remake that is in the works that is supposed to enhance it tremendously?

Stabwound

Arcane
Oh, wow. I didn't even realize there was a Mordor remake going on. The original was pretty fun, although I never did manage to get far in it. I also purchased the sequel, Demise, and again, didn't get very far. For some reason, I actually liked Mordor better.

There has been a long, ongoing update to Demise that's been in the making for years now-- it's cool, because it's being offered free to anyone that purchased the game in one of its many releases. It keeps missing release date after release date, and I think many have given up waiting for it. The new current release date is Winter 2008, but I wouldn't put much hope in it.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Well actually, if you bought the Artifact Entertainment version, you have to purchase their version/patch. How's that for a quick kick to the balls?

Stabwound

Arcane
Haha, seriously? Nice way to screw over the early buyers of the game...

I'm reading now that the "release date" is March 31st 2009, and that they're soon to be starting beta testing. Considering the fact that this expansion has missed about 6-7 "release dates" I'd probably check back in the summer, heh.

Then again... I guess it's stupid to complain about a free expansion to a 10 year old game.

Hazelnut

Erudite
crakkie said:
Is there still any way to buy The Omega Syndrome?

I don't think so. I pretty much gave up on playing it around the powerstation because I was still waiting for anything other than combat! Had fun while it lasted though.

Here's a few others that I recalled:

- Devil's Whiskey - a sort of unofficial sequel to the old Bard's Tale games. I think the original devs more or less abandoned it, but I believe its available to buy from the same guy that has the Demise and Mordor games
- Broken Hourglass - inspired by the Baldur's Gate series. Still in development
- Frayed Knights - a more light-hearted take on dungeon crawling. Still in development, but there was a decent size demo a while back. There's also several other games, developed by others, available on his site.
- Morning's Wrath - sort of a thinking man's Diablo, I guess. The controls were a bit clunky, though
- Grimoire - Ha!

SkeleTony

Augur
DaViLLaN said:
Stabwound said:
Isn't POWS incomplete?

Yes, but the incomplete parts are tolerable and dont break the game, they just make you think about the What ifs....

It is incomplete(and freeware) but IS 'finish-able'(there are like three different endings you can achieve) and the graphics suck. Game was abandoned before better graphics could be completed and submitted to Tom.

Natuk is still purchasable but it suffers from some game mechanics/balance issues(even more so than POWS) but more than makes up for this by being an RPG about ORCS! Nothing like creating a party of 8 orcs, ogres and half-trolls to take over the world(rather than save it) with!

Nahlakh is now freeware and is quite difficult(notoriously difficult in fact!) and only playable through DosBox now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom