Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

indy rpg preference

Which rpg would you prefer?

• 1) Real time first person dungeon crawler single PC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2a) TB isometric party based

• 2b) TB isometric party based with separate combat screen

• 3) RTWP isometric party based

• 4) First person party based M&M clone

• Total voters

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I decided to go back to school in September due to shitty job prospects. At best I'll manage to grab a part time job until then which means I have quite a bit of time on my hands. Which also means I'd like to get back into game development (by which I mean actually finish a game :smug:).

I've thought about making a roguelike but I think I can get a little more meat out of a more static world RPG, if only to have some prospect of getting into the game development industry, even if it's just as a level designer. Anyway, since my resources are rather limited the options available are as follows:

1) Real time single player dungeon crawler hack and slash (like TES Arena). The character system would be a little more complex and better balanced, and I'd like to use pre-set monsters and a pre-made (much smaller) world, but the basic gameplay would be similar. This would probably be the easiest for me to make.

2a) turn-based isometric. party based. Like fallout only with party control.
2b) turn-based isometric. also party based. The difference is that I will be using a combat screen instead of having the combat take place on the adventure screen. I've always wanted a RPG with combat similar to HOMM IV so I'd be aiming for something like that.

3) rtwp isometric party based. like baldur's gate or torment.

4) first person party based M&M clone (thinking M&M6-9 here). This could be either the second easiest or the hardest to make. primarily turn based, though i liked the RT option for quickly getting through thrash mobs so I'll likely offer both.

I haven't decided on the setting yet. I've been designing a huge RPG for a while now but I wouldn't try to tackle that without a full development team, though I could make a small game to introduce the setting. At the same time high magic fantasy has been done to death and low magic fantasy pisses me off, so I might try something completely different. Either way, the actual gameplay mechanics are my main concern now, so I'll wait and see what input I get first.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I've decided on a sci fi setting (which I've also been working on, though not nearly as much as the fantasy one). Though the setting itself is fairly high in both technology and mysticism, the game will take place on an isolated planet with low tech (think Alien rather than Star Trek) and very limited magic (as in you could go through the entire game and not run into it at all). The poll options remain the same. 1 and 4 might actually be more interesting and certainly pretty original in a non-fantasy setting actually.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I want someone to make an icewind dale-style game.

mondblut

Arcane
First person party based with separate TB isometric combat screen sounds like a good compromise.

Both topdown/iso and Wizardry 1 clones are being done to death already. A time is due for a new generation of Goldbox/Realms of Arkania lookalikes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
mondblut said:
First person party based with separate TB isometric combat screen sounds like a good compromise.

Both topdown/iso and Wizardry 1 clones are being done to death already. A time is due for a new generation of Goldbox/Realms of Arkania lookalikes.

This. a million times this.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Sounds neato. Was missing the option of "only controllable PC" - TB Isometric. :smug:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Surf Solar said:
Sounds neato. Was missing the option of "only controllable PC" - TB Isometric. :smug:

The fewer AIs I have to script the better. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom