Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

InfestedRL - my 7 days roguelike challenge - FAILED

soggie

Educated
It begins today!

InfestedRL is a coffee-break roguelike where you play the role of an amnesiac survivor trapped in a stone labyrinth, surrounded by devious monsters. You have no means of killing them, and you are not going to risk to find out how.

You need to survive, and escape.

In your cloudy memory you remember an exit 4 levels above you. With monsters chomping down the front door, you take one last look at the coffin where you awake from, before slipping out the rear door.

Good luck. You’ll need it.

http://splinteredcore.com/web/2010/08/1 ... nfestedrl/

Wish me luck. It'll be released on a friday. :smug:

PROGRESS

Day One Post Mortem

soggie

Educated
Youtube video is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjD5lCKUDE

This is the first day of development, showcasing the completed animation system and entity system. The player has 5 sets of animations, which is shown in this clip.

TODO:
- Test tween animations
- Write camera and attach it to the player
- Render floor tiles
- Move character on screen

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Capt Obvious:
You dont need animations for a 7DRL, do you? But I guess, you already have the code for it. But not the spirtes for the monsters. Especially with facing. Just make static ones.

soggie

Educated
The monster tilesets are done actually. Got 90% of the art done before starting this challenge.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
soggie said:
The monster tilesets are done actually. Got 90% of the art done before starting this challenge.
Isn't that cheating?

soggie

Educated
Zed said:
soggie said:
Isn't that cheating?

Read here for the rules of 7DRL:

1. You CAN use external libraries, game engines, pre-existing generic code/algorithms, pre-existing generic art, etc. You can even start your game from an existing game, if you are willing to turn it out into something unique, you must however say what resources were reused.

2. It is allowed and recommended to have a rough design idea of your project before starting

Sauce

soggie

Educated
Part Two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSSVeHn2f30

A tweened animation can be created by specifying a vector in each frame instead of a subsurface position. This video shows the tweened animation in action, as well as rendered ground tiles.

TODO:
- Test tween animations [DONE]
- Write camera and attach it to the player
- Render floor tiles [DONE]
- Move character on screen

soggie

Educated
FUCK YEAH!

Sorry, just had to let that one out. I finished all of day 1's objectives, and the best part is, I spent 5+ hours trying to figure out how to code the global offset shit for the camera, and when I decided to just wing it with an algorithm that I'm not even sure should work, IT FUCKING WORKS!

Dammit, things like this really lights up my passion in coding. That's one hell of a lucky shot.

Posting video very soon... and yes, I will release the source code once I'm done with it.

empi

Augur
Awsome work, allready looks better than 99% of graphical roguelikes, and has a more original premise, and it is only a 7DRL ;)
Do you have any plans to continue the RL/make a full "pacifist" one with a similair premise after the challenge ends? Anyway, awsome job so far ;)

soggie

Educated
empi said:
Awsome work, allready looks better than 99% of graphical roguelikes, and has a more original premise, and it is only a 7DRL ;)
Do you have any plans to continue the RL/make a full "pacifist" one with a similair premise after the challenge ends? Anyway, awsome job so far ;)

Thanks.

Nope, this is a one-off. No plans to continue expanding on it, which would kind of defeat the concept of a 7-day roguelike anyway. The idea is to create a complete, polished game, and see how close you can come to one.

I'll release the source code of both the engine and the game though, so anybody can pick it up from there and go crazy with it. That includes the artwork too. ;)

I'll be reusing the same engine for an episodic coffee-break RPG planned after this. A fellow codexian will be helping out, and I promise you it'll be the most awesum next generashun thing you'll ever see. For example, it has dialog wheels. Nice, no? :smug:

soggie

Educated
Too busy to post updates. Here's a summary:

Day 2 - 3:
- Stupidly tried to refactor animation code. Wasted almost a day trying to get it right

Day 4:
- Finished world loading code
- Prototype of dungeon generation code ready

Day 5:
- More work on dungeon generation
- Monster tileset simplified, about 80% done
- LOS

Day 6 TODO:
- Finish up dungeon generation
- Play game without any monsters
- Basic monster AI, and defeat conditions

Day 7 TODO:
- Items and inventory
- Victory condition
- Fog of war

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Isn't the dungeon generation code the biggest pain in the ass?

soggie

Educated
Zed said:
Isn't the dungeon generation code the biggest pain in the ass?

Yes it is. And the FOV algorithm too.

Failure seems inevitable. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom