Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infusion Dev Log #8: Weapons and Trash

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Hi guys,

We've been busy working on Infusion and we have some stuff to show you.

Firstly, we implemented basic crafting for two melee weapons types - sledgehammers and combat knives.

Currently, for both of these weapons, we only have basic metal variations - steel, tichrome and tungsten. We have the model done for a special "flame sledgehammer", but the mechanics are not there yet.

sledgeman_3.png
sledgeman_2.png
sledgeman_5.png
sledgeman_1.png
sledgeman_4.png

Sledgehammers are crafted from two components - the head and the handle. The type, material and quality of the head is what has the most influence on the resulting sledgehammer. Handle can affect ergonomics which is a special stat that affects various other stats, but we're going to leave that one for a later dev log.

sledgehead_1.png
sledgehead_2.png
sledgehead_3.png
sledgehead_4.png
sledgehead_5.png

My idea with sledgehammers is that, outside of energy weapons and explosives, they are probably going to be the most powerful damage-wise, but the trade-off is going to be clunkiness, which makes the weapon impractical in many cases compared to more traditional melee weapons, such as knives, swords and mace-like weapons. Sledgehammers are going to be easier to dodge because of slow swing speed and due to their heaviness they will require you to spend a lot of stamina, especially if you're going to use the powerful overhead slam attack. However, if you are Chad who invests in strength, you'll probably be able to pull some crazy damage numbers, especially with the larger heads.

This brings me to the concept of innate weapon-specific attacks - that is, each weapon will have a number of different attack types, these are available by just having the weapon, without requiring a feat. If they have no cooldown or special condition, which will usually be the case, they can be toggled to be used as an auto-attack when you click an enemy. Well, actually, there is no such thing as an auto-attack anymore, every attack is some specific attack type of your current weapon.

sledgehammer_attacks.png

For example, in case of Sledgehammers these would be: swing, overhead slam and pummel. You can imaging how these different attacks work and their different properties. I will not go into it right now, except to say that the pummel takes advantage of a new engine mechanics which allows weapon items to have sub-weapons nested in them. That is, when you attack with the handle of the sledgehammer, it's a completely different weapon with its own stats. This feature is going to come handy when we start implementing all sorts of unique, makeshift and hybrid weapons that can be used in different ways.

Next, we implemented the basic combat knife variations. Here, crafting is a bit more interesting because of the number of different handles, guards and pommels.

knife_1.png
knife_2.png
knife_3.png
knife_4.png

Knives have two basic attacks: swing and stab. The former being an easier, faster attack, while the latter being a bit slower and more stamina draining but having bonus armor penetration. Depending on the type of knife blade, these attacks can have wildly different effectiveness, especially when it comes to the amount of armor penetration the stab attack will grant.

blade_1.png
blade_2.png
blade_3.png
blade_4.png

All these numbers are just my initial estimates of how these blades should work. They will be adjusted through testing and spreadsheet number crunching.

We've also implemented assault rifle crafting. We only have a single frame type, but a lot of different attachments. I'm going to showcase it in a separate dev log at a later time, because there's a lot to be said. We've went quite deep when it comes to firearm customization as you might have seen from my past activity on Twitter/X.

Lastly, here's a couple of environment screenshots of Infusion's sewers. These are all WIP and not actual areas that are going to be in the game, but they do a good job of demonstrating our visual style. Our lead environment artist MacOrion has been hard at work on producing grime and trash as it's very important to use that the game's visuals properly convey one of the central themes of the setting - which is infrastructural collapse and decay.

sewer_1.png
sewer_2.png
sewer_3.png
sewer_4.png
sewer_5.png
sewer_6.png

We continue to work towards our next immediate milestone, which is, as I mentioned before, getting the game into a state where we can produce a short video demonstrating some exploration and combat.

That's it for now. In the next dev log, I'm probably going to be showcasing leather armor, which is in the works right now.

Follow me on Twitter, where I post smaller tidbits occasionally.

Cheers.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This brings me to the concept of innate weapon-specific attacks - that is, each weapon will have a number of different attack types, these are available by just having the weapon, without requiring a feat... there is no such thing as an auto-attack anymore, every attack is some specific attack type of your current weapon.

This is how you expand gameplay of the base game

Watch and learn, Joshua Eric Soyer

Roguey

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will not go into it right now, except to say that the pummel takes advantage of a new engine mechanics which allows weapon items to have sub-weapons nested in them. That is, when you attack with the handle of the sledgehammer, it's a completely different weapon with its own stats.

lmao.

It's nice to be able to develop a game for as long as you want to, isn't it?

This brings me to the concept of innate weapon-specific attacks - that is, each weapon will have a number of different attack types, these are available by just having the weapon, without requiring a feat... there is no such thing as an auto-attack anymore, every attack is some specific attack type of your current weapon.

This is how you improve the base game

Watch and learn, Joshua Eric Soyer

Roguey

Expeditions: Rome did this first. :-D

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
But anyway you missed the point. The whole idea is learning from your past games so you can improve. That is why I mentioned Soyer, because it's really the opposite of what he did with Dumpsterfire.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
That is why I mentioned Soyer, because it's really the opposite of what he did with Dumpsterfire.
interestingly enough, both of them do not bother with player feedback.
Only way to get through styg thick walls is by posting video of you killing six

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Well, guys like Styg or Cleve have purity of vision. Thank God they aren't listening to fans.

Soyer tried to please everybody and lost his mind. Literally.

ciox

Liturgist
It looks like it's gonna be a pretty long wait, maybe not so terrible if we get an old style Underrail release where it was like early access.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well, guys like Styg or Cleve have purity of vision. Thank God they aren't listening to fans.
Styg barely listens even to me when I suggest something around the graphics, it takes persuasion over 100 and a lot of tries

:hero:
what's the word on environmental destruction? blasting through certain doors, walls, past rocks.

not in a scripted way, ala dynamite and rock blockages in underrail, but in a systematic way. firefight in a shanty village? you can expect your explosives or high RoF firearms to tear holes in walls that you can send people through, that kinda thing

ciox

Liturgist
Styg barely listens even to me when I suggest something around the graphics, it takes persuasion over 100 and a lot of tries

what's the word on environmental destruction? blasting through certain doors, walls, past rocks.

not in a scripted way, ala dynamite and rock blockages in underrail, but in a systematic way. firefight in a shanty village? you can expect your explosives or high RoF firearms to tear holes in walls that you can send people through, that kinda thing
https://twitter.com/stygdev/status/1665145626793746435

agris

Arcane
Patron

https://twitter.com/stygdev/status/1665145626793746435
Thanks. Still curious about systematic vs scripted, that tweet doesn’t make it clear

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
While building assets, we make destroyed variations, not always as it is a lot of work to do it for every asset, but those assets have their "health" and while destroyed change their state (no longer an obstacle for example)
Some assets we push for later to make the destroyed variation, I'm quite autistic at keeping the workflow organized so it's possible to extend the state of an asset later, so will see how many interactive assets there will be at the end.
An example is the mushrooms in the scene, they have an age, a version where they are stomped, destroyed, and burned for now, and maybe they get something new in the future.
Overall the development is a slow grind, we have a nice small team and to put more people in it we need to shift to another mode of Operandi, which would lose the innovative feel of the game.
So it will take a long time to finish it, lucky (or not) that we live in a poor country so we don't need that much money and the project is kinda safe from bankruptcy because of not enough sufficient funds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom