Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Interest Gauge] Pathfinder/Shadowrun 4th ed over RPTools

Which system is most monocle?

• Shadowrun 4th Edition

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Pathfinder (D&D 3.5++)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
@ Ulminati

I think it may be possible to make a good and fun Witch after reading all the guides and stuffies, but they are INT based, have a killable spellbook, and are ugly as CHA's useless to them. So I'm going with a sorceress instead.

I'm having some trouble deciding upon the bloodline, though, and the starting spells. The campaign sounds way too reminiscent of Ravenloft for me to pick the spells and bloodlines without fearing everything and their pets will be immune to them.

I'm mostly divided between Infernal and Sylvan.

@ Lightbane

I do kind of like the Summoner, but it is way too weird for me to understand everything in one and a half day. And they are INT based, aren't they?

*checks*

Oh, they are CHA based. Ok, let me read it and see whether or not I can make head or tails from it in a manageable timetable. :P

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's no secret that the first adventure is likely to have some amount of undead in it, which'll be immune to mind-affecting thingies and stuffies. If you end up rolling with a sorc that's worth noting. I posted a link to the player's guide for the campaign a while back. These two blurbs may or may not be useful.

Recommendations: Sorcerers of the aberrant, arcane,
celestial, destined, and undead bloodlines will fit
particularly well in the Carrion Crown Adventure Path,
though no bloodline would be a poor fit.

Recommendations: Summoners with eidolons of all
shapes and sizes will function well in the Carrion Crown
Adventure Path, though roughly humanoid eidolons will
blend in better in social or urban situations. Summoners are
likely to receive the most benefit from ranks in Knowledge
(arcana), Linguistics, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.

Also, if you end up going with asummoner, I'm going to veto any suggestions that your eidolon is summoned by tossing a white/red glossy plastic ball at people and shouting "EIDOLON! I CHOOSE YOU!"

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Originally I was going to pick summoner, but after reading description of Conjurer's (Wizard subclass) Teleportation School I think I am going to stay a Wizard but switch from Necromancer to Conjurer. Conjurer's Shift ability strikes as overpowered. Not a single wizard speciality has something this powerful - to be able to move about battlefield with no issues, starting from lvl 1? And later you gain Dimensional Steps which seems to be more broken.

Btw, it seems that with root out we lack a dedicated healer... And we don't have a Rogue... I can already see long and bright future ahead of us. :lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Note if you're rolling a arcane caster, command undead is absurdly OP against mindless undead. 2nd level spell, single target, lasts for days and you can order them to destroy themselves. And no saving throw for the mindless ones, so you could theoretically use this to control a zombie T-Rex. Then all you need to do is multiclass into Ninja and the world is yours.

lightbane

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Btw, it seems that with root out we lack a dedicated healer... And we don't have a Rogue... I can already see long and bright future ahead of us. :lol:

True. Unless someone has a change of heart and makes a cleric, we'll have to rely on the alchemist to craft healing potions like a madman and/or the summoner's Eidolon to learn a few healing spells. At worst, maybe the GM could lent us a temporary cleric npc to assist us...

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
First order of business: Kill, rape, rob and skin that shady Cleric NPC. If he's lucky we'll even do it in that order. :rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
lightbane said:
At worst, maybe the GM could lent us a temporary cleric npc to assist us...

In my experience, whenever a party desperately needs a role filled, whoever happens to die to make the need obvious tends to roll one up :smug:

Also, the person who totally isn't Black Cat is still considering a witch, which will get access to CLW as well. So you'd have two ghetto healers to patch you up after you step in a trap.

I must say this is a curious change from the groups I'm usuallya player/GM in. Whenever I play with people face-to-face our party usually ends up a 50-50 combination of clerics and rogues. :M

@ Ulminati

Witches can be pretty good healers if they go Healing + Hedge Witch + Healing Hexes, I think. I was going to follow that line with the Witch character, but it seems a kind of incredibly lame way of making a witch. And Occult + Gravewalker seems kind of awesome, and very witchy.

The sorceress can get Infernal Healing if our glorious gamemaster allows her to be neutral evil and worship Asmodeus, at least if Eschew Materials counts for the drop of devil's blood. We can always LARP she isn't going to backstab the party because her Infernal Blood tends to Lawful and her "god" would dislike open betrayal and oath breaking. I had originally built her like that, but then I read the no evil alignments rule and was back at square one. Again. T_T

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'll let the other players chime in on that. The main reason for the no evil alignments schtick is that evil parties tend to derail the plot with backstabbing and "why would I want to help the peasants rescue the village cow?". It's less of a problem in a homemade campaign where I can tweak stuff on the fly. But it kills prewritten adventure paths dead leaving me back at square 1.

Alternately, wouldn't LN alignments be within 1 alignment step of Asmodeus?

lightbane

Arcane
Wait, non-Black Cat, so you're not going to play as a Summoner? What a shame, I was about to post a brief explanation of the class. :(

By the way Ulmi, would you kindly give a look to my Alchemist's character sheet? Just one more, the last one, it's to be sure everything is ok, I think I forgot to add the +1 hp bonus with "the favored class" feature.

PS: I noticed that pretty much everyone of the party but me has "Chance Savior" as the campaign trait. I wonder how will you justify why so many and so different people with non-good alignment saved that old man at some point on his life. Also, my alchemist, the one that should be considered the craziest of the gang, is still the only one with a good alignment *forever alone*

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You're a good alignment in codexia. Doesn't get much crazier than that.

I'll look everyones sheets over sometime tonight or tomorrow when I make the tokens.

@ Ulminati

Do you see me roleplaying as Lawful Neutral, Ulmichan? Those are battle words. :M

A question, though: Prehensile Hair gives you a reach attack, as a free action, that does 1d3 damage and uses INT instead of STR. Does that mean that it is, for example, a free 1d3 + 4 attack per round if you have INT 18?

@ Lightbane

I did build a Master Summoner, but I don't know the bestiaries and rules good enough as to be able to play a summoner without drowning Ulmichan on questions about what every monster I can summon does, and I don't think he wants having to do rolls and stuffies for all the summons a Master Summoner can have outside at the same time.

And It's not the kind of class someone with little experience with the system can use, which kind of rules me out.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Kimagure Majo Yousei said:
@ Ulminati

Do you see me roleplaying as Lawful Neutral, Ulmichan? Those are battle words. :M

Not quite, but playing an infernal is not far better from LARP perspective. Why our Fickle Fairy Witch doesn't want to play Fay bloodline is quite a mystery to me. Probably Diplomacy as a class skill for Infernals is the only reason (and laying waste to all with armies of devils).

BTW, is there any alignment requirement for bloodlines? I can't find it. If so maybe Ulminati will allow Intimidation for Abyssal bloodline or Sense Motive for Fay, if you ask him.

A question, though: Prehensile Hair gives you a reach attack, as a free action, that does 1d3 damage and uses INT instead of STR. Does that mean that it is, for example, a free 1d3 + 4 attack per round if you have INT 18?

It appears so. You won't make our primary party tank though - so it's pretty much useless - though quite showy ability. Besides it uses strength (or dexterity... I'm not sure) for 'to hit' checks. You won't be hitting them very often.

I did build a Master Summoner, but I don't know the bestiaries and rules good enough as to be able to play a summoner without drowning Ulmichan on questions about what every monster I can summon does, and I don't think he wants having to do rolls and stuffies for all the summons a Master Summoner can have outside at the same time.

And It's not the kind of class someone with little experience with the system can use, which kind of rules me out.

It rules out everyone :lol: Not one of us (except for GM) has experience with the system. Some of us have played D&D 3.0-3.5. however. I may try to cook one summoner up by tomorrow morning, but I feel lazy now so odds are against it.

Mrowak said:
Not quite, but playing an infernal is not far better from LARP perspective. Why our Fickle Fairy Witch doesn't want to play Fay bloodline is quite a mystery to me. Probably Diplomacy as a class skill for Infernals is the only reason (and laying waste to all with armies of devils).

Diplomacy as a Class Skill without having to pick Calistrian Prostitute as a trait, yes. Also, wings. Sylvan also has wings, and I like Sylvan myself, but the animal companion is really weakened by the -4 level malus and the feat that counters it, Boon Companion, is on Seekers of Secrets, which isn't one of the books Ulmichan is allowing. If Ulmichan allows Boon Companion as a Feat then I'll go with Sylvan, as it gets some good control spells at low levels, though it kind of loses the Bloodline Arcana.

Damn, so many choices. T_T

At least no one can say I didn't do my homework. :oops:

It rules out everyone :lol: Not one of us (except for GM) has experience with the system. Some of us have played D&D 3.0-3.5. however. I may try to cook one summoner up by tomorrow morning, but I feel lazy now so odds are against it.

Go fer it! :3

lightbane

Arcane
Not-Black Cati said:
Diplomacy as a Class Skill without having to pick Calistrian Prostitute as a trait, yes. Also, wings. Sylvan also has wings, and I like Sylvan myself, but the animal companion is really weakened by the -4 level malus and the feat that counters it, Boon Companion, is on Seekers of Secrets, which isn't one of the books Ulmichan is allowing. If Ulmichan allows Boon Companion as a Feat then I'll go with Sylvan, as it gets some good control spells at low levels, though it kind of loses the Bloodline Arcana.

Ulmi said that feats, skills and such from "outside" sources may be accepted if you show these to him (posting the description I mean), but he has the last word as a GM.

PS: I hope that you're aware that your character occasionally will be the victim of some lascivious jokes from the male party members :M

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd worry more about the first spell she researches being 'Summon Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion'

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
WetWorks said:
Don't forget that we trolls on the codex are demanding a full account of tomorrows proceedings written in the style of Gaider. :rpgcodex:

That's going to be the players responsibility, not the GMs :M

PS: I hope that you're aware that your character occasionally will be the victim of some lascivious jokes from the male party members :M

There are male party members? And here I was thinking they were all trannies.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Ulminati said:
WetWorks said:
Don't forget that we trolls on the codex are demanding a full account of tomorrows proceedings written in the style of Gaider. :rpgcodex:

That's going to be the players responsibility, not the GMs :M

You hear that peon player characters? The Grand wizard just said he would dock xp for bad session accounts, so get cracking on quality.

Regarding Gaider style let me give you a course:

"I run through the thick woods. A branch hits my face. Ouwie."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom