Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Is Aerie from BG2 underage?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, let's go with that. Why do you assume she is between 85 and 99 and not younger? I theorised she is at best 60.

I explained why complete with maths and tables plus rules. If she was 60 as an Avariel elf then she would be the equivalent of a 12 year human girl that hasn't gone through puberty first or just starting it. Are you for nonces?
That's just wishful thinking imo -
Her age is never stated.
But we can infer that from her dialogue. She says she's *probably* older than Jaheira, which means she's young enough to not be sure, and Jaheira treats her like a child, which means she sees her as one. Jaheira is probably around 30-40ish, if we are to believe her own biography that she was a child during the Tethyr civil war (which is kinda contradicted by she having visited Gorion when the Bhaalspawn was a child) and that civil war ended around the time BG1 came about. So, yeah, I wouldn't put Aerie more than 50-60 at best since she was taken to the circus "at a young age". It's also stated in her biography that her wings atrophied some years after being forced into the circus, i.e. not decades, not centuries, years. And Quayle helped with that between BG1 and 2. We also shouldn't ignore her portrait, she looks like a teenager.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, let's go with that. Why do you assume she is between 85 and 99 and not younger? I theorised she is at best 60.

I explained why complete with maths and tables plus rules. If she was 60 as an Avariel elf then she would be the equivalent of a 12 year human girl that hasn't gone through puberty first or just starting it. Are you for nonces?
That's just wishful thinking imo -
Her age is never stated.
But we can infer that from her dialogue. She says she's *probably* older than Jaheira, which means she's young enough to not be sure, and Jaheira treats her like a child, which means she sees her as one. Jaheira is probably around 30-40ish, if we are to believe her own biography that she was a child during the Tethyr civil war (which is kinda contradicted by she having visited Gorion when the Bhaalspawn was a child) and that civil war ended around the time BG1 came about. So, yeah, I wouldn't put Aerie more than 50-60 at best since she was taken to the circus "at a young age". It's also stated in her biography that her wings atrophied some years after being forced into the circus, i.e. not decades, not centuries, years. And Quayle helped with that between BG1 and 2. We also shouldn't ignore her portrait, she looks like a teenager.

I'm not fucking around with fixing the stupid quotes.

It's not wishful thinking you nonce. It's written rules from AD&D 2E which BG 1 and 2 use. Where is your proof that I'm wrong? Oh it doesn't fucking exist. I hate people like you with a passion. Always right even when confronted with rules proving your nonce ass wrong.

Baldur's Gate takes place in 1368 DR. Baldur's Gate 2 takes place in 1369 DR.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Forgotten_Realms_Franchise_Timeline#1369_DR_to_1400_DR

Jaheira was a young child in 1347 DR so that can mean she was between the ages of 4-10. Adding 22 years she is now 26-32 years old.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Jaheira

Now taking these points into consideration, Aeria is right. She is older than Jaheira as she's an elf and proven by the rules on elf aging. Also, Aeria's dialogue is teasing Jaheira as she's still a teenager which shows that she's adhering to the AD&D 2E TCPHBE rules on Elves. Aerie's biography doesn't list years. Going off of Elven biology we can be assured she was a young child when captured. Years can mean decades if the writer so desires. You have no proof otherwise, but do go on and contradict AD&D 2E rules with your nonce fantasies.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You are begging the question by assuming she's closer to 100 "because she would be too young otherwise". We are trying to figure out if she is indeed too young, lolol.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You assume she's closer to 100 "because she would be too young otherwise". We are trying to figure out if she is indeed too young, lolol. You are begging the question.

No, I answered the question you nonce with the actual fucking rules for AD&D 2E. I didn't assume shit, but you sure as hell did. Defeat the rules nonce.

Are you stupid or can't you read?

Now put up your proof that I'm wrong nonce.

I dare you to do it with the rules BG 2 uses which is AD&D 2E.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You are begging the question by assuming she isn't 15 in elf years, but that's not how any of this works. She might as well be 15. That's ripe for child bearing in the medieval ages. To me, she's closer to 60 because she isn't even sure if she's older than Jaheira who is in her 30s.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This thread right now:
CA488fh.jpeg

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You are begging the question by assuming she isn't 15 in elf years, but that's not how any of this works. She might as well be 15. That's ripe for child bearing in the medieval ages. To me, she's closer to 60 because she isn't even sure if she's older than Jaheira who is in her 30s.

Oh look the nonce can't read. Let me help you with this. Here's the rules you fucking retarded nigger shit.

PHBR8 - The Complete Book of Elves- Page 36.jpg
PHBR8 - The Complete Book of Elves- Page 37.jpg

Going off of the official AD&D 2E rules used by BG 2 this is the following age range for elves. The first number is human and the number range is for elves using Table 4 from The Complete Book of Elves for AD&D 2E in years.

Human | Aquatic/Avariel Elf Childhood
1 | 1-5.3
2 | 5.4-10.7
3 | 10.8-16.1
4 | 16.2-21.5
5 | 21.6-26.9
6 | 27-32.3
7 | 32.4-37.7
8 | 37.8-43.1
9 | 43.2-48.5
10 | 48.6-53.9
11 | 54-59

It says on page 38, "Elves remain children for approximately 65-75 years. They grow slowly throughout these years, achieving a height of 4 feet at most." Thus, the elf is still in the pre-pubescent stage of their lives. If you disagree with the writing in the AD&D 2E rules then you're a nonce.

Human | Aquatic/Avariel Elf Adolescence
12 | 59.1-65.6
13 | 66.7-72.1
14 | 72.2-78.7
15 | 78.8-85.3
16 | 85.4-91.9
17 | 92-98.5
18 | 98.6-99

Continuing with the description on page 38 for adolescence, "At about age 75, elves enter adolescence. Whether male or female makes no difference; both sexes mature at roughly the same time and at the same rate." Adolescence is puberty.

A few notes here. Drow mature fastest out of all the Elvish racial subtypes while Grey elves take the longest to mature. The following table is the numbers for childhood and adolescence of those two compared to humans with the span of years for each human year of development.

Human | Drow Elf Childhood
1 |1-4.4
2 | 4.5-8.9
3 | 9-13.4
4 | 13.5-17.9
5 | 18-22.4
6 | 22.5-26.9
7 | 27-31.4
8 | 31.5-35.9
9 | 36-40.4
10 | 40.5-44.9
11 | 45-49

Human | Grey Elf Childhood
1 | 1-7.18
2 | 7.19-14.37
3 | 14.38-21.56
4 | 21.57-28.75
5 | 28.76-35.94
6 | 35.95-43.13
7 | 43.14-50.32
8 | 50.33-57.51
9 | 57.52-64.7
10 | 64.8-71.89
11 | 71.9-79

Human | Drow Elf Adolescence
12 | 49.1-54
13 | 54.1-58.9
14 | 59-63.8
15 | 63.9-68.7
16 | 68.8-73.6
17 | 73.7-78.5
18 | 78.6-79

Human | Grey Elf Adolescence
12 | 79.1-85.6
13 | 85.7-92.2
14 | 92.3-98.8
15 | 98.9-105.4
16 | 105.5-112
17 | 112.1-118.6
18 | 118.7-119

The table and rules are quite clear on how elves age in AD&D 2E which BG 2 uses. As such, Aerie would be roughly 84.5-99 years old for an Avariel Elf. She would be the equivalent of a 16-18 year old human. She is a teenager due to her growth as an Elf.

PHBR8 - The Complete Book of Elves- Page 38.jpg
PHBR8 - The Complete Book of Elves- Page 39.jpg

There ya go nonce lover. The rules that you ignored so far. So we've established you like preteen girls as you are adamant that Aerie is a preteen at the ripe old human equivalent age of 12 as an elf of 60 years. Do you happen to know math per chance or how to fucking read?

Last edited:

PapaPetro

The effort that went into solving this question better pay off in the near future.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

PapaPetro

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can't we just ask Gaider how old Aerie is? I'm sure he has a social media account somewhere like all the old gays.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Can't we just ask Gaider how old Aerie is? I'm sure he has a social media account somewhere like all the old gays.

Can't you just accept the rules from AD&D 2E you nonce?

It's decided - she's 75, i.e. 15 in human years, i.e. severely underage. I have spoken.

Who the fuck are you to determine this when you ignore the fucking rules? You're an idiot.
This is what happens when you allow cellophane players to talk mathematics and science.

Agreed.

PapaPetro

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I'm not sure what exactly you are arguing though. Why do you assume she isn't 15 in human years?

Oh look the nonce is suffering from mental retardation and short term memory loss. Why don't you go back and read the thread nonce?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Can't you just accept the rules from AD&D 2E you nonce?
I'm not sure what exactly you are arguing though, except that she isn't 12. Yeah, sure, she isn't 12. But why do you assume she isn't 15 in human years?
Okay, back up a bit.
Up there in the thread, we got a rulebook chart indicating the human equivalent age in comparison to elf years. As below:
Going off of the official AD&D 2E rules used by BG 2 this is the following age range for elves. The first number is human and the number range is for elves using Table 4 from The Complete Book of Elves for AD&D 2E in years.
Then we have another discussion somewheres in yonder thread above that has the subject's age somewhere between 84-99 and putting the two together you have an indication of the age converted to human years. Where did you drop off in this convo?

Humor me.
In an earthworm family, the son asks the mom: "Mom, where's dad?" To which the mom replies: "He went fishing, son."
Bastard. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom